• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't complete journey today

jacksonbang

Good afternoon,

I am flying back to Stansted this evening and I have an Open Return ticket booked to Rye Sussex. Due to a delay it is unlikely I will get the final train from Ashford International. What are the current rules relating to completing my journey the following day? I intend to stop in London if I know I cannot get all the way home. Additionally I have a Network Railcard, so I would have to wait until after 10am?

Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

74A

Yes you can complete your journey the next day. This has always been the case but only a very small number of passengers will do this so you might expect some pushback from railway staff who are not sufficiently trained.

jfollows

Established Member
The return portion of an open “anytime” return ticket is valid for one month; even the outward portion is valid for five days, these both allow for break of journey in London anyway.

jacksonbang

Yes, it's an airline delay.

It's an Off Peak Return I am holding, so I assume only valid today for the outgoing.

Thanks for the answers. I know I am in the right to do this.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks for the answers. I know I am in the right to do this.
What ticket(s) do you actually have? Anytime Return? Off Peak Return? Or even an Off Peak Day Return?

And when you eventually arrive into Stansted Airport, will you be using the Outward portion of your ticket, or, more likely, the Return portion?

gray1404

Established Member
For an off peak return you have a calendar month to complete your return journey, break of journey is permitted too so stopping overnight on London is fine. When you restart your journey the next day you most abide by any time restrictions applicable to the ticket held and any time restrictions imposed by any Railcard being used, in your case a Network Railcard.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are you making your journey to Rye using the outward of return portion of your Off-Peak Return? If the return, that's absolutely fine provided you are within the month's validity of the return portion.

However as you say, you need to abide by any applicable time restrictions, which includes those inherent in the Off-Peak ticket (not before 09:30 if you bought the bizarrely cheaper "+Any Permitted" fare), as well as the "not before 10am" restriction that applies to Network Railcard discounted tickets.

If it's the outward portion, it gets a bit more complex. You are allowed to break your journey overnight on this (with an Off-Peak Return) but only if you "cannot complete the journey" the same day. The interpretation of that clause varies considerably and many staff will not be familiar with it, so you may encounter hassle when trying to rely on it.

jacksonbang

I am using the outward portion of an Off Peak Return.

As I said I cannot complete the journey. The interpretation one would assume is pretty watertight. I cannot complete the journey!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am using the outward portion of an Off Peak Return.

As I said I cannot complete the journey. The interpretation one would assume is pretty watertight. I cannot complete the journey!
Well that would be one interpretation - and certainly the one that I would espouse. But the railway's (harsher) interpretation might be that you could have completed the journey, had you set off earlier and that the flight delay has nothing to do with the railway.

jacksonbang

Well that would be one interpretation - and certainly the one that I would espouse. But the railway's (harsher) interpretation might be that you could have completed the journey, had you set off earlier and that the flight delay has nothing to do with the railway.
So it's a pointless rule. I knew it was pointless asking for advice!

Typhoon

Established Member
So it's a pointless rule. I knew it was pointless asking for advice!
I'm sorry for your predicament and I appreciate your frustration but in my opinion that last point is unfair.

A number of Forum members who have a track record of giving sound advice have explained the situation, as they understand it, based on their experience. The idiosyncrasies of the rules are nothing to do with them; and for those who do define rules which cover much of the country it must be a nightmare.

From your statements you cannot be landing at Stansted before 21:15, (Southern reckon you can be back in Rye otherwise). It maybe that you had no choice in the matter but, as someone with a heart complaint, that is not I risk I would like to take. The message appears to be that you might find staff members who are sympathetic but you might not - and it is not their fault if they are not.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I took OP's annoyance as directed at the rules being written such that even by asking for advice they can't get a clear answer - and not at the people who have to provide that unclear answer

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Overnight break of journey when using the outward portion of an Off Peak Return crops up on here from time to time. It's absolutely valid to do so, here's a link to an admitedely very old post explaining the position, the forum member who wrote it at the time was as authoratitive as you could get.

gray1404

Established Member
I would commence the journey as planned and then continue on day two. If forced to purchase additional tickets we can help you with a complaint.

island

Veteran Member
It's permissible to use the outbound part of an off peak return ticket on the day after the date printed on the ticket, if the journey cannot be completed on the same day.

This is written on www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticket-types/tickets/svr, which I dare say will be more likely to be taken on by rail staff than a 12 year old post by an unidentifiable person on a forum, with no disrespect intended.

You must still observe any applicable time restrictions and you may have challenges negotiating any ticket barriers you encounter.

Last edited:

bakerstreet

It's permissible to use the outbound part of an off peak return ticket on the day after the date printed on the ticket, if the journey cannot be completed on the same day.

This is written on www.nationalrail.co.uk/ticket-types/ticket/svr, which I dare say will be more likely to be taken on by rail staff than a 12 year old post by an unidentifiable person on a forum, with no disrespect intended.

You must still observe any applicable time restrictions and you may have challenges negotiating any ticket barriers you encounter.
Perhaps it’s my cache but I’m getting

Sorry, we can’t find the page you want​

404: Page not found

For that link.

EDIT
This looks like the updated page

jacksonbang

Thanks for all the advice.

It wasn't an issue - the ticket was checked at the gate of St Pancras International - it got thrown out - I just said "I got stuck last night", no problem. The ticket was also checked on the Southern service from Ashford International - I said "I'm continuing my journey today for obvious reasons." - he just said "No problem."

Thanks again.

Class800

Established Member
Good to see it went well. Probably your situation was helped by the fact there was a lot of rain disruption last week due to weather.

Typhoon

Established Member
Good to see it went well. Probably your situation was helped by the fact there was a lot of rain disruption last week due to weather.
Reports from early Friday morning of landslips at both Robertsbridge and Maidstone East (so must have happened overnight) with diversions, rail replacement. A passenger who has sorted his own problems out was probably most welcome. Additionally, I think it must have been on local radio, there was something about not travelling. Staff members doing the right thing are always to be applauded, we don't do that enough.