• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car-free Cardiff Sunday 12th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

martian boy

https://www.visitcardiff.com/event/car-free-day/
On Sunday 12th May 2019, 10am-4pm at Cardiff City Centre, join us for Car Free Day. A child friendly, family fun day out where you can experience the city centre in a completely new way, without cars.

The day will be marked with a bike ride across the city centre as well as a range of other fun activities to encourage people to opt for greener and healthier modes of transport more regularly, from Skateboarding have-a-go workshops brought to you by ‘Spit & Sawdust’ & Circus Workshops by ‘Organised Kaos’ to a walking tour by local historian and celebrated author ‘Peter Finch’, there is something for anyone. Please see the full list of activities and events taking place at the bottom of this page.

You are invited to enjoy our free fun events including sports activities, demonstrations, live music, street entertainment, walkabout shows, creative craft-making, dancing and our Bike Parade in the afternoon!

This Sunday, 12/5/19, Cardiff city centre will be car free. BUT....the roads will be closed to all traffic including buses.

Yet again, Cardiff city centre will resemble Cold War Berlin.

It seems even Screaming Lord Sutch and The Official Monster Raving Loony Party never came up with this one. (Although the 20 mph speed limit through any built up area was.)

I’ve seen buses/trams/trolley buses going through pedestrianised roads in Europe. But come to the idiotic UK, elf’n’safety will stop everything.

Is there any other city in Britain where the lunatics rule supreme?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wirewiper

How does having traffic-free streets in the City Centre for one day of the year (and a Sunday to boot) make Cardiff a ****hole?

I might have some sympathy if there was to be a permanent ban for all vehicles but one day completely traffic-free might actually make the centre of Cardiff a pleasant place to be. A lot of people might enjoy it, but do they not matter to you because you think it is somehow wrong?

I have been in Paris where they make pretty much the whole of Le Marais a traffic-free zone on Sundays, which includes diverting buses. The atmosphere in the streets is wonderful.

Last edited:

martian boy

The point is, most buses are not running the full route via a diversion. They’re terminating short at different points.

I drive buses every day I work to Cardiff. The mess the council have made, beggars belief. Road closures happen throughout the year. This one is just a big ego trip. If they’re so concerned about air pollution, stop all traffic between the fifth of December to the fifth of January. Their Paymaster Generals ( Big business ) and their god (money) will say different.

Spend some time in Cardiff, on a road closure day, see it for yourself.

carlberry

Established Member
The point is, most buses are not running the full route via a diversion. They’re terminating short at different points.

I drive buses every day I work to Cardiff. The mess the council have made, beggars belief. Road closures happen throughout the year. This one is just a big ego trip. If they’re so concerned about air pollution, stop all traffic between the fifth of December to the fifth of January. Their Paymaster Generals ( Big business ) and their god (money) will say different.

Spend some time in Cardiff, on a road closure day, see it for yourself.
Cardiff city council don't like buses and will use any excuse to encourage people to stop using them.

AB93

daodao

Established Member
Cardiff city council don't like buses and will use any excuse to encourage people to stop using them.

They have destroyed the excellent integrated bus/rail interchange at Cardiff Central station by closing the central bus station, with buses now terminating all over the outer edge of the city centre (e.g. Greyfriars Road or Penarth Road) and coaches in Sofia Gardens - convenient for the cricket ground but little else.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Always a bad idea having buses leave from scattered points around the city is a bad idea. In Leeds, buses to one place often seem to go from opposite sides of the centre.

Car-free day seems a splendid idea, but should exclude buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.