Car insurance - modded car and extras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayum, 16 Aug 2019.

1. Bayum

Bayum Established Member

I’ve ordered a new car for the end of September. It is a Mini Cooper with a sport body, Sat Nav and a bunch of other things. Some insurers are asking how the car has been modified, and one insurer went as far as to ask for individual components in the various packs I have. As such, my insurance rocketed from £500-£550 to £800+.
    I’ve asked on mini forums what the situation is, and they’ve suggested that the car hasn’t been modified because it’s a new build with those specifications. What gives? Who is right? Have you been asked to breakdown everything that’s part of V your car?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it is a new car coming with those extras then it has not been modified

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I've actually had insurers say as much, which I found really odd! The deal seemed to be (!) that if it was a factory option it is not a modification, whereas a dealer option or a retrofit is.

5. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

If they are asking about mods you must be telling them it has mods.

No need, if its a factory option it is a standard vehicle.

6. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

I think that’s the case. All those extras will be listed as built with the car.
    Try another insurance company, or wait until the car is registered before getting a quote maybe?

7. Bayum

Bayum Established Member

Factory option? Dealer option?

8. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

A factory option is an option that is fitted to the car at the factory (typically things like built-in satnav, upgraded seat, factory alloys etc). A dealer option is an option that is fitted by the dealer when the car has been delivered to them but before it gets to you (often things like mud flaps, though I doubt anyone ever bothers declaring those to insurance). Normally when you purchase options on a new car it explains which they are. If you didn't buy the car new, it's just a case of "good faith" - be honest of which you think is which or if you don't know.

9. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Is this possibly down to the new tax rules ?

If you cars 'list price' is over £40k the tax is higher. They may have details of each package and it's price to get the true 'list price'

Of course it may also be down to the insurance companies finding new ways to screw us over.

If my car was written off/stolen it would be pretty easy to declare it had the 360 cameras, upgraded sound system, illuminated tread plates, ambient lighting etc etc. Even with my well speced model there were a few extras that weren't standard. There is no real evidence of what has been fitted to my car. Do dealers pass on your spec to the insurance companies ?

10. muz379

muz379 Established Member

I guess an easy way for your insurer to ascertain any extras fitted would be to ask for a copy of the invoice which should include such things

Even buying an approved used car as I have in the past dealers are happy to include any non standard options on the invoice .

Although its purely academic because unless you have gap insurance or one of those policies which cover you for a brand new replacement for cars up-to 12 months old you are only going to get book value for the car anyway if stolen or written off .