• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central To Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merthyr

Hi i travel from Cardiff Central To Boston every week
Leaving Boston on either a sunday or monday morning and returning Thursday Afternoon or evening .

It's costing me a fortune every week doing this , Im 21 and looking to get a rail card . Is there any other ways of saving money by splitting journeys up etc . Any help would be a MASSIVE help .

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
And what ticket do you normally buy? If for example you buy an off-peak return from Boston to Cardiff - the normal price for this is £82.80. Price with Y-P railcard discount is £54.65, i.e. £28.15 cheaper. As the railcard itself only costs £28 it would more than pay for itself in one return journey, and it's valid for a whole year.

Merthyr

And what ticket do you normally buy? If for example you buy an off-peak return from Boston to Cardiff - the normal price for this is £82.80. Price with Y-P railcard discount is £54.65, i.e. £28.15 cheaper. As the railcard itself only costs £28 it would more than pay for itself in one return journey, and it's valid for a whole year.

It's normally £82 something . Yeah It would pay for itself in 1 journey which is great. Looks like ill buy one today .

Any other ideas to save a bit of money by splitting the journeys up somewhere along the line?

b0b

Established Member
First place to try a split would be Nottingham since you always change there.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are you happy to be tied down to specific trains? It is likely to be the cheapest option on that route.

Merthyr

Are you happy to be tied down to specific trains? It is likely to be the cheapest option on that route.

Any trains to be honest , Aslong as i can save some extra money i dont mind what train i go on .

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
An off-peak return from Boston to Burton-on-Trent is quite reasonable at £15.80 with railcard discount. Then you could look at buying advance fares from Burton-on-Trent to Cardiff Central. These are available at £14.50 each way for most of the direct trains next Monday morning and Thursday evening, and should be cheaper if bought further in advance. So that would be a total of 2 x £14.50 + £15.80 = £44.80. Although I don't know if that's a big enough saving over £54.65 to tie yourself to specific trains. (You wouldn't need to change trains at Burton-on-Trent of course; the direct trains from Nottingham to Cardiff all call there so you would just stay on the same train and switch validity from one ticket to the other at that station.)

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If you don't mind going via Hereford, it comes down to £73. You can then take your railcard discount off that. Not much of a saving and a longer journey but it's nice to know.

Standard Class
£73.00
Saves £9.80

Out ANYTIME DAY S Route ANY PERMITTED
Rtn ANYTIME DAY S Route ANY PERMITTED
CARDIFF CENTRAL to CWMBRAN
Fare £14.40

OFF-PEAK R
CWMBRAN to UNIVERSITY BIRM
Fare £21.10
Route VIA WORCESTER
Restriction (CS)