• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career as a MIP (Wheelchair User)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelb

Hello all.

I want to preface this with:
- I am ambulatory and can walk/stand/control myself in moderate blocks, about 10 minutes
- I am in no way dismissing that a medical should determine my capacity in a position.

My main goal is to ascertain the positions that someone who uses a wheelchair would be able to fulfill on the railway. Specifically to do with conducting and dispatching, and the practicalities and technicalities that would need to be considered and accommodated for.

Suitable suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
I'm afraid Conducting/Guard would be a non-starter, as a basic rulebook requirement needs you to be able to walk (unsaid, but hastily) on ballast for a mile and a quarter in order to lay emergency protection, at least.

Established Member
Stratford London Underground gateline had a member of staff who used a whechair for some years, unsure if they still do or not as I rarely use the station.

I see no reason why you couldn't do gateline or ticket office work, on older stations reasonable adjustments may need to be made though.

LCC106

Established Member
I am unsure whether or not a platform role (dispatch) would be practical on a busy station. Depending on how busy a platform was, you could get pushed when standing or be unable to see the length of a long platform to watch the train leave complete with tail lights if using the wheelchair. This may make it more difficult due to the need to reposition yourself due to curvature of the line, people in the way etc.

I wonder if any other members know of wheelchair users working on stations?

skyhigh

Established Member
I'm afraid Conducting/Guard would be a non-starter, as a basic rulebook requirement needs you to be able to walk (unsaid, but hastily) on ballast for a mile and a quarter in order to lay emergency protection, at least.
I'd have to agree with this. You'd also need to be able to climb up and down from a train to ballast level and patrol the train when required.
I am unsure whether or not a platform role (dispatch) would be practical on a busy station. Depending on how busy a platform was, you could get pushed when standing or be unable to see the length of a long platform to watch the train leave complete with tail lights if using the wheelchair. This may make it more difficult due to the need to reposition yourself due to curvature of the line, people in the way etc.
I think dispatch while in a wheelchair would be near impossible to be honest. You need a good view of the whole train and signal, which could be difficult when the platform is busy. However given that the OP says they can stand for moderate blocks, there is potential for adjustments to be made that will allow them to do the role.

Ticket office or gateline are probably the most practical roles.

LCC106

Established Member
I also thought there may be potential for adjustments but without knowing whether or not the OP has some days that are worse than others this MIGHT make it more difficult. It’s an interesting post to consider.

lammergeier

If it turns out that conducting or dispatching are unsuitable then there are plenty of other good options to consider, including safety critical roles.

I would imagine that as a signaller in an IECC, or a TOC controller, the fact you're of reduced mobility would become virtually irrelevant for the purpose of carrying out your role.

Depending on your circumstances as well, plenty of operators run pretty comprehensive graduate trainee schemes - I've known of several who have come through these schemes and gone on to have successful management careers.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think dispatching will be very difficult although it is definitely worth approaching the TOC to see.

Dispatching can require you to be stood up for lengthy periods and to be mobile for the whole length of the platform. At times it can be a physical job. Doing it seated in a wheelchair would likely be impossible.

As others have said, there are other safety critical roles like signalling which would be much easier to have reasonable adjustments for.

Status
Not open for further replies.