• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Diverts NXEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
No; the "any permitted" ticket is a Saver with the CDR option only valid "via Carlisle". And the Saver is a very expensive ticket (due to East Coast validity, I'd imagine).

djw1981

Established Member
If for photography, then the NR / ATOC / BTP guidance suggests informing reception that you are there and what you are doing. However YMMV.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all, am going to Carlisle on this saturday and on 4th October.
Would I have to sign in or would I be ok?

Cheers

Andy
There is no legal requirement to sign in anywhere to take photos.

If for photography, then the NR / ATOC / BTP guidance suggests informing reception that you are there and what you are doing. However YMMV.
I'm not aware of any guidance for photographers? There are no guidelines for photographers as such; the guidelines are for enthusiasts, who may - or may not - be taking photos. The existence of these guidelines on the internet does not compell enthusiasts to sign in, there is no requirement.

The guidelines also say we should not stand in crowds around departure boards, we should not use waiting rooms, etc. The way they are worded it is as if they are aimed at people who are not travelling, but it claims to apply to all enthusiasts. Those arriving by train cannot possibly abide by the guidelines as it says you should inform staff "before" stepping on the platform, which is impossible.

They should really be re-titled "Guidelines for station veg who arrive by car/foot and don't actually take trains" IMO! ;)

andylloyd

There is no legal requirement to sign in anywhere to take photos.

I'm not aware of any guidance for photographers? There are no guidelines for photographers as such; the guidelines are for enthusiasts, who may - or may not - be taking photos. The existence of these guidelines on the internet does not compell enthusiasts to sign in, there is no requirement.

The guidelines also say we should not stand in crowds around departure boards, we should not use waiting rooms, etc. The way they are worded it is as if they are aimed at people who are not travelling, but it claims to apply to all enthusiasts. Those arriving by train cannot possibly abide by the guidelines as it says you should inform staff "before" stepping on the platform, which is impossible.

They should really be re-titled "Guidelines for station veg who arrive by car/foot and don't actually take trains" IMO! ;)

Many Thanks for that,
Carlisle is brand new territory for me so thats why I asked.

Am especially looking forward to 4th October for the diverts<(

Regards

Andy

andylloyd

Carlisle itself isn't a good place for photos though. There are various locations on the Tyne valley that are good, many are near stations.

Here's a few examples from Martin Taylor: http://trains-are-hell.photos.me.uk/c716071_25.html I'm pretty sure he got to all locations by train/walking.

Wylam will be a latter haunt during the diverts for pictures and videos I feel. especially as its beside my favourite watering hole(The Boathouse) 8)

Cheers

Andy

glynn80

Established Member
It's simply EDB-YRK-PRE, which is perfectly valid on the any permitted ticket. However, with EDB-YRK trains stopping at Carlisle, the "via Carlisle" ticket must be accepted. However, as has been said, I'm sure some giards would be sceptical. If it was valid, though, it would save a hell of a lot of money for ECML travel, albeit only temporarily.

I telephoned ATOC on this issue today and after some checking of mapped routes they actually CONFIRMED this was valid when trains are diverted between Newcastle and Edinburgh (via Carlisle). I was expecting some ridiculous excuse like Clive Feather recieved in his infamous letters from ATOC but even after me provoking them by saying the Route: Carlisle was so much cheaper than they Route: Any Permitted they still confirmed it was valid.

andylloyd

I telephoned ATOC on this issue today and after some checking of mapped routes they actually CONFIRMED this was valid when trains are diverted between Newcastle and Edinburgh (via Carlisle). I was expecting some ridiculous excuse like Clive Feather recieved in his infamous letters from ATOC but even after me provoking them by saying the Route: Carlisle was so much cheaper than they Route: Any Permitted they still confirmed it was valid.
What is the best way for me to do this then thus to avoid any additional funds(Newcastle-Carlisle Return);)

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.