• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire frequency and electrification

higthomas

I do hope that that's the plan, no reason why it shouldn't be but A boards aren't that common, or are they? First I heard of them was Birmingham New St.

They have - incidents more than accidents - it takes a degree of skill to have an accident with a train that's blown its horn and is accelerating from stop. One incident saw a bin lorry reversed whilst the train was stopped, with its banksman waving the bin lorry back (Llanion Crossing, 200 yds from Pembroke Dock) as if the train was letting it go.

An actual accident had a taxi slam in to the rear bogie of a 153 at the Beavers Hill crossing (for points not prison, nor lost licence). The taxi driver said he had misjudged the speed of the train (presumably thought it was going faster than it actually was) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45260451

They had a rather expensive plan to close Llanion Crossing, diverting paths, building footpaths, acquiring land (see plan at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-co...-routes-east-and-west-of-Llanion-Cottages.pdf) in 2020. The new idea sounds much more cost effective, and presumably the other idea dropped.
Maybe I'm just too naïve about costs of things, but surely just installing "normal" crossings with gates would be much the easiest solution and shouldn't cost a crazy amount?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
That will be a big improvement.

The other problem is the Maestegs that stop between Bridgend and Cardiff.

Whenever I have cause to track a GWR into Cardiff it is the Swanline getting held up by an ex-Maesteg in front of that one. Letting the GWR catch up with the Maesteg will be a bit better though.

I was also looped at Margam on a train to Manchester pre-Covid. No problem for me as I was going to Manchester, less good for all those going to Cardiff/Newport/Bristol who crowded onto the 175/1 when the GWR they really wanted sailed past.
Swanline been timed to provide a 2nd stopping service between Bridgend and Cardiff Central.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
since they are on narrow roads even an 'Automatic Half Barrier' would presumably block the whole road, avoiding the AHB problem of dangerous driving by motorists zig-zagging through the 'open' half of the crossing

Because AHBs are unsupervised, there must be a escape route for people / vehicles trapped. Hence the half barriers.

Maybe I'm just too naïve about costs of things, but surely just installing "normal" crossings with gates would be much the easiest solution and shouldn't cost a crazy amount?

A normal crossing - full barriers - needs full signalling on approach. Just converting these three would cost well north of £10m, probably twice that.

Caaardiff

It is drifting a little, but the obvious sections that require an overtaking option for the GWR are between Bridgend and Cardiff, where loops do exist, and between Port Talbot and Swansea, where I do not think there is any option. For the latter Britton Ferry could be given a loop (I think).
The UP section of the district line that joins at Britton Ferry is next to the platform but doesn't actually have a platform joined. With some remodelling it could be the ideal place to put in a loop off the mainline while also being able to platform the Swanlines off the mainline too.
If Swanlines are being timed to leave Swansea 5 mins after a GWR, all it takes is a slight delay to GWR to either get stuck behind the swanline until Port Talbot or TFW having to wait for the GWR.
A loop at Britton Ferry could allow TFW to depart and the GWR to catch up and pass at Britton Ferry.

Meerkat

Established Member
While the new proposal sounds like it could be cheaper, but it isn't clear what the relative benefits could be. Presumably there still won't be wig-wag lights for the open crossings and, if there will be, why will the trains be limited to just 5mph?
5mph is barely moving, so the trains can stop quickly, but is moving - so drivers will hopefully stay out the way. The stop and hoot method has always seemed dangerous to me, inevitably leading to drivers thinking the train has stopped to let them drive across first.

BenBracken

Going slightly off topic, does anyone know how to get a run on the SDL these days? Which services take that route. Last few times I’ve taken a Fishguard or Milford service that is advertised as direct from Port Talbot to Llanelli it’s taken the line behind Landore. Any reason they do that over the SDL?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Going slightly off topic, does anyone know how to get a run on the SDL these days? Which services take that route. Last few times I’ve taken a Fishguard or Milford service that is advertised as direct from Port Talbot to Llanelli it’s taken the line behind Landore. Any reason they do that over the SDL?
According to the excellent Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines publication the following are booked via the Swansea District Line in the current timetable

Briton Ferry, Court Sart Junction/Up Flying Loop Junction - Morlais Junction (Swansea
District line) (126) PB09
Mondays to Fridays:
1V95 1040 Holyhead – Newport - Llanelli
1B62 2218 MTWThO Cardiff Central – Carmarthen
1B97 1250 Fishguard Harbour - Cardiff Central

Last edited:

fishwomp

Note it is 5mph on approach. Presumably there will be “A” boards that enable the train to accelerate immediately after the front cab is over the crossing.

These crossings have had numerous incidents at them in recent years.
Passed two of the crossings today. Would this A board be after the crossing? If so, they are not there.. I also didn't notice anything unusual about the new 5mph sign.

BenBracken

TfW have launched a timetable review for December 2024, with the following proposals:

• Additional calls to/from Milford Haven and Haverfordwest giving the towns 13 services per day in each direction
  • Extra services between Swansea and Tenby between May and September from 2025, subject to agreement with Network Rail
  • Amending four journeys to end at Carmarthen (instead of Cardiff Central as of today), though these will connect into GWR services Carmarthen <> London Paddington.(Connection times can be found in our timetables).
Would be interesting to know what the practicalities of these changes would be.