• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnage on the WCML 04/05/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Its been carnage today on the wcml. Track defect at kenton, signal failure at Camden and train has derailed at Milton Keynes Central.

I have to say a massive applause to control and the signallers who I think have handled it really well.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern Dvr

Train hit speed board near Kenton earlier, not aware of a derailment at Milton but a unit did fail with traction motor problems and requires skating to a depot for attention.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Ah yes that will be it. It looked like it had derailed from where I was standing, but hard to tell.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Given that the word "carnage" means "the killing of a large number of people" in the first dictionary that I consulted may I suggest that the word "disruption" be substituted in the title of this thread? It would be rather more tasteful.

I was expecting to find details of a very serious train crash, bus hit on a level crossing or similar.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Its been carnage today on the wcml. Track defect at kenton, signal failure and Camden and train has derailed at Milton Keynes Central.

I have to say a massive applause to control and the signallers who I think have handled it really well.
Plus a vehicle striking a bridge between Coventry and Birmingham. Not a good day to travel! The irony of a track defect appearing for the second day in a row, right after a major closure for engineering works, isn't lost on me (although I realise there's unlikely to be any connection).

Its been carnage today on the wcml. Track defect at kenton, signal failure and Camden and train has derailed at Milton Keynes Central.

There were deffinately problems I have had to cancel my trip today up to Stranraer as I would have missed my connections and had to be there for when my train arrived. Having to head up tomorrow which is not ideal and know planning on arriving 3 hours early. 1017 and 1117 from Lichfield T.V. canceled and when quick from Milton Keynes to Crewe. Clearly LNR were prioritising Euston bound trains.

Ediswan

Established Member
Given that the word 'carnage' means "the killing of a large number of people" in the first dictionary that I consulted may I suggest that the word "disruption" be substituted in the title of this thread? It would be rather more tasteful.
Another recogonised (slang) meaning is 'any chaotic situation' which is how I read the title.

Howardh

Established Member
I'll be at Euston soon hoping the 2100 runs to Manchester. The info I have is Avanti are running but delayed.

I'll be at Euston soon hoping the 2100 runs to Manchester. The info I have is Avanti are running but delayed.
They are running with some delays of up to 30mins at around lunch time but I have seen some non Scotland services being cancelled probably to allow for the Scotland services to run.

Howardh

Established Member
Can I jump on an earlier train even though I have an advanced 2100? I've tweeted them waiting for reply

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can I jump on an earlier train even though I have an advanced 2100? I've tweeted them waiting for reply
Is the 2100 officially cancelled? Wouldn't have thought so otherwise, if you're on an Advance ticket, unless you can somehow persuade the ticket office to endorse your ticket, or Avanti have maybe de-restricted tickets tonight.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Given that the word "carnage" means "the killing of a large number of people" in the first dictionary that I consulted may I suggest that the word "disruption" be substituted in the title of this thread? It would be rather more tasteful.

I was expecting to find details of a very serious train crash, bus hit on a level crossing or similar.
Sorry, its just a slang term I use for disruption.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suspect not, as now that the service is getting back towards stable avanti will be wanting to try and manage passenger loadings with people who've been delayed on earlier trains still trying to complete their journeys. You can always ask the guard before departure.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Plus a vehicle striking a bridge between Coventry and Birmingham. Not a good day to travel! The irony of a track defect appearing for the second day in a row, right after a major closure for engineering works, isn't lost on me (although I realise there's unlikely to be any connection).
Did get to the experience the rather cool and unqiue thing this morning of travelling in the Down Direction over the Up Slow through Wembley Central.

Howardh

Established Member
I have a connection at Piccadilly the 2330 to Bolton. 15 mins or so leeway

P Binnersley

No travel warnings on the Avanti web site and the 21:00 is shown as running. The inbound 1A62 to form the service is running on time. So I think you will have to stick to the 21:00.

Howardh

Established Member
The 1834 Euston to Piccadilly still seems to be on the platform, the 1857 departed 4 mins late

No travel warnings on the Avanti web site and the 21:00 is shown as running. The inbound 1A62 to form the service is running on time. So I think you will have to stick to the 21:00.
Great, thanks!

All Line Rover

Established Member
Bearing in mind that *all* Trent Valley London Northwestern services have been cancelled since the 12.46 (no doubt to make room for Avanti services, given priority as usual), does anyone have experience of Avanti's willingness (or lack thereof) to accept displaced passengers holding LNR-only tickets (per Avanti's obligations under the rail passenger rights directive)?

There is no mention on Avanti, LNR or National Rail's website of ticket acceptance by Avanti on the Trent Valley. Only on the West Mids route.

I got lucky tonight and got home earlier than I would without the disruption! All London Northwestern trains from Milton Keynes to Crewe cancelled, so I got let on the Avanti service which was much quicker and running on time too!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Avanti seems back to normal, as for LNW??
They are running a reduced timetable for the rest of the day. Only services that are running a 2tph from London Euston - Northampton calling at all stations between Watford Junction and Northampton.

All of the London Euston - Watford Junction/Tring/Milton Keynes Central/Fast Northampton's/Birmingham New Street and Crewe have been cancelled since about lunch time.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Also, conductor assaulted on a Euston Crewe LnW train which was terminated at Milton Keynes as a result.
The bridge bash was in the tight road bridge south of Berkswell. The vehicle involved was an ambulance.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Also, apparently the emergency services are now dealing with an incident at Rugely Trent Valley. Really just a bad day all round.

zwk500

Veteran Member
They are running a reduced timetable for the rest of the day. Only services that are running a 2tph from London Euston - Northampton calling at all stations between Watford Junction and Northampton.

All of the London Euston - Watford Junction/Tring/Milton Keynes Central/Fast Northampton's/Birmingham New Street and Crewe have been cancelled since about lunch time.
The Birmingham's (at least) are starting short from Northampton.
Also, apparently the emergency services are now dealing with an incident at Rugely Trent Valley. Really just a bad day all round.
This was on a Chase Line train.

Status
Not open for further replies.