• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

carrer as a train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh.1

Hi Guys

Very new to the forum, This question I am sure has been asked a million and one times....

I am electrical engineer quite simply wanting a new career (board). I have always wanted to get on the trains as a driver. What would you guys suggest would be the starting out point apart from applying to a TOC as and when the trainee driver roles come available.

I spoke to a train driver at London Blackfriars and apparently Govia has just taken on 200+/- trainee drivers.

I am based SW London.

Many thanks.
Josh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Josh.1

Thanks.

Does anyone know when Govia will be recruiting trainee drivers?

Kse

I'd say don't wait for Govia. Apply for any TOC thats recruiting within a reasonable distance, then look at transferring once qualified.

Josh.1

Thanks Kse.

All helps. In your experience what is the furthest distance a TOC would take you on from home that a depo you apply for?

Also as a guide what’s the going Salary for a Trainee driver? Expectation time of fully qualified & final salary? I am sure this is depended on what TOC you are with.

Thanks!

C.T.P.

Thanks Kse.

All helps. In your experience what is the furthest distance a TOC would take you on from home that a depo you apply for?

Also as a guide what’s the going Salary for a Trainee driver? Expectation time of fully qualified & final salary? I am sure this is depended on what TOC you are with.

Thanks!

Mate, start reading this forum and you'll find an answer to all your questions. Stop asking futile questions. Thanks.

RBSN

Thanks Kse.

Thanks!

1 hour drive from you Depot.

All dependant on which ToC you’re training with.

bionic

Thanks.

Does anyone know when Govia will be recruiting trainee drivers?

Thameslink are about 140 drivers oversubscribed apparently so can't see them taking on any more trainees for the foreseeable future. Southern, Southwestern and Southeastern are your best bet living in SW London. They all take on pretty regularly for metro depots as turnover is very high, as drivers start out in these places before moving either to a depot with better work or another TOC altogether. Keep and eye on those three TOCs and you should find something comes up before too long.

I'd also be keeping one eye on London Overground and the other TOCs with central London depots. You won't get in off the street with anyone like Virgin, LNER, EMT or Chiltern as they have a steady stream of qualified drivers applying from the TOCs mentioned previously.

Josh.1

Thanks for the info, Much appreciated.

I travel daily on southern rail and have done for years, they would suit me best.

I will keep a look out for them 3 especially.

Thanks
Josh.

Driver84

Hi Guys

Very new to the forum, This question I am sure has been asked a million and one times....

I am electrical engineer quite simply wanting a new career (board). I have always wanted to get on the trains as a driver. What would you guys suggest would be the starting out point apart from applying to a TOC as and when the trainee driver roles come available.

I spoke to a train driver at London Blackfriars and apparently Govia has just taken on 200+/- trainee drivers.

I am based SW London.

Many thanks.
Josh.
Try and apply for another job, ticket office, cleaner, conductor, customer service assistant etc..
Get a foot in the door and start learning the railway way of life and position.
Then apply internally for driver position. You will have to go through the same assessments and interviews.
However, you will have s better understanding on how the railway works, also you may meet driver management and drivers and ask about the job.
Hope this helps!

SGD5891

Got a friend trying to get into the industry as a driver down in eastbourne way, i believe southern would be his nearest TOC, anyone have any idea of when they will be recruiting trainee drivers?

Theooboy

Got a friend trying to get into the industry as a driver down in eastbourne way, i believe southern would be his nearest TOC, anyone have any idea of when they will be recruiting trainee drivers?
Southern have just recruited drivers recently

387star

On Moderation
There's a depot at Eastbourne but as far as I know they never take trainees there. You have to go to Brighton then transfer

Soitheastern has a depot at Hastings with trainee adverts every once in a while

387star

On Moderation
Eastbourne is the hardest Southern depot to get into aside from perhaps Epsom and Caterham

Status
Not open for further replies.