• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cars and owner stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
VW Caddy vans that have been lowered with alloys, same kind of people who drive them. Similar to focus ST and older type R drivers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Again Range Rovers are sufficiently common that any stereotype may well be unfounded, but there’s certainly plenty round my way where the stereotype is spot on. For some reason they seem to be thought of as a status symbol, something I find odd as having driven one I found the experience akin to driving a transit van.
I really liked driving Transits. They went like the clappers, one sits quite high in them so there's good visibility, and they're pretty big so most motors give way to them. Transits with sliding doors were really neat in hot weather, as one could have them fastened by a clip in the open position when driving along. Now, am I complying with the stereotype of the Transit driver?

DustyBin

Established Member
VW Caddy vans that have been lowered with alloys, same kind of people who drive them. Similar to focus ST and older type R drivers.

The only thing the Caddy brigade have in common with ST and Type R drivers is a love of lowering and alloys wheels. The “stance” scene is a bit of a VW thing (although not entirely exclusively), whereas the Ford scene, and I suspect the Honda scene, is more about improving performance.

alxndr

Established Member
I really liked driving Transits. They went like the clappers, one sits quite high in them so there's good visibility, and they're pretty big so most motors give way to them. Transits with sliding doors were really neat in hot weather, as one could have them fastened by a clip in the open position when driving along. Now, am I complying with the stereotype of the Transit driver?
Transits would often remove the need for a clip to hold the sliding door open by having the door fall off entirely... Agree they're a nice drive though, whatever the reputation of white van men is.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I really liked driving Transits. They went like the clappers, one sits quite high in them so there's good visibility, and they're pretty big so most motors give way to them.
Me too, but is a Ford Transit a car, though?

DustyBin

Established Member

For the purposes of this discussion it qualifies IMO.

I like driving them too. My favourite was the MK6 MWB which had a modern engine, but was still RWD and had a floor mounted gear lever (which was nowhere near as unwieldy as it looked!). I suspect a MK1 or 2 with an Essex V6 under the bonnet would surpass it, but sadly I’ve never driven one! :D

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I found that Transits were a lot more sprightly than most motors I have driven, although whether that's a valid criterion for this thread I wouldn't like to guess.

MattA7

Am I the only person who can usually tell the type of driver of a particular car by looking at the seating position.

If the seat is extremely close to the steering wheel then chances are it’s a woman or old person who drives the car if it’s is so far back it’s almost against the back seat chances are it’s a man driving and of course if the seat is tilted in the dentist chair position it’s usually the local Barry boy in his grossly modified “car” terrorizing the neighborhood

gg1

Established Member
Subaru Impreza - middle aged man who hasn't grown out of his teenage boy racer phase.

MattA7

Might just have something to do with it. A six foot tall plus person will almost always have their car seat pushed further back than someone who is only five foot nothing.

Not sure if that is necessary true they are plenty women over 6ft and plenty men 5ft nothing but there usually is still a difference in the seating position.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Might just have something to do with it. A six foot tall plus person will almost always have their car seat pushed further back than someone who is only five foot nothing.

Not sure if that is necessary true they are plenty women over 6ft and plenty men 5ft nothing but there usually is still a difference in the seating position.

Sorry, don't quite follow the point you're endeavouring to make. Doesn't really matter what gender a six foot tall person is, they're still more likely, IMHO, to have the driver's seat pushed back than a much shorter person.

What do we think then about all the yummy mummies in range rovers, audi Q7s/porsche cayenne/VW touareg/merc & other big SUV things?

Honestly particularly with an audi Q7 it's as big as a tank.

Russel

Established Member
What do we think then about all the yummy mummies in range rovers, audi Q7s/porsche cayenne/VW touareg/merc & other big SUV things?

Honestly particularly with an audi Q7 it's as big as a tank.

The 'yummy mummies' all park their SUV's on the path outside my sons primary school, it fills me with joy when, at least once a week, a traffic warden comes along and tickets them all.

You'd think they would learn...

The 'yummy mummies' all park their SUV's on the path outside my sons primary school, it fills me with joy when, at least once a week, a traffic warden comes along and tickets them all.

Oh deary me!

They won't learn I doubt, also .asked you chuckle a bit trying to watch them squeeze down these roads or around school car parks. It's like they went from a polo or similar to an SUV which is like 4x the size.....

66701GBRF

If they can afford a 70K+ car (assuming not financed) I doubt they are bothered about a small fine here and there.

route101

Established Member
Am I the only person who can usually tell the type of driver of a particular car by looking at the seating position.

If the seat is extremely close to the steering wheel then chances are it’s a woman or old person who drives the car if it’s is so far back it’s almost against the back seat chances are it’s a man driving and of course if the seat is tilted in the dentist chair position it’s usually the local Barry boy in his grossly modified “car” terrorizing the neighborhood
Yes, noticed that with seats very far back. For a guy I have my seat quite forward, must be my short legs.

DustyBin

Established Member
Oh deary me!

They won't learn I doubt, also .asked you chuckle a bit trying to watch them squeeze down these roads or around school car parks. It's like they went from a polo or similar to an SUV which is like 4x the size.....

My sister-in-law is one of them, she drives an X5 which she can barely see out of. She previously had a Fiat 500, although admittedly she did have a 320d in the intervening period. She’s not a good driver either by any stretch of the imagination! :lol:

My Mrs who is equally petite (they’re actually twins) at least likes to be able to see where she’s going, so sticks to hot hatches which is fine by me! :D

If they can afford a 70K+ car (assuming not financed) I doubt they are bothered about a small fine here and there.

The vast majority will be financed or leased.

My sister-in-law is one of them, she drives an X5 which she can barely see out of. She previously had a Fiat 500, although admittedly she did have a 320d in the intervening period. She’s not a good driver either by any stretch of the imagination! :lol:

My Mrs who is equally petite (they’re actually twins) at least likes to be able to see where she’s going, so sticks to hot hatches which is fine by me! :D

The vast majority will be financed or leased.
Financed at eye watering prices too!

These boy racers do have me howling with laughter some days honestly :lol: :lol::lol:

Saw this guy driving about today & I couldn't see any other bit of him except his head:E they seem to think their driver's seat is a deckchair;)

DustyBin

Established Member
Financed at eye watering prices too!

These boy racers do have me howling with laughter some days honestly :lol: :lol::lol:

Saw this guy driving about today & I couldn't see any other bit of him except his head:E they seem to think their driver's seat is a deckchair;)

I have my seat fairly well reclined, but not quite in the lying down position. I always have done, although if I'm honest it was probably a bit of boy racer thing to start with (I may have been lying down back then thinking about it!).

The girl's are just as "bad" these days, Fiesta STs in particular seem to attract girl racers. There's one lives near me, she must have spent a fortune on hers (including getting it sprayed metallic pink! o_O). I'm not talking adding a few bit's of tat from Halfords either, it's got adjustable suspension, big brakes, some very expensive wheels, and and engine mods including a hybrid turbo. Good for around 320bhp she reckons, which sounds about right (I know a thing or two about these cars). Plenty for an 1100kg hatchback!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have my seat fairly well reclined, but not quite in the lying down position. I always have done, although if I'm honest it was probably a bit of boy racer thing to start with (I may have been lying down back then thinking about it!).

The girl's are just as "bad" these days, Fiesta STs in particular seem to attract girl racers. There's one lives near me, she must have spent a fortune on hers (including getting it sprayed metallic pink! o_O). I'm not talking adding a few bit's of tat from Halfords either, it's got adjustable suspension, big brakes, some very expensive wheels, and and engine mods including a hybrid turbo. Good for around 320bhp she reckons, which sounds about right (I know a thing or two about these cars). Plenty for an 1100kg hatchback!

I might be a cynic, but I can't help but think her insurance policy says "unmodified" :D

Energy

Established Member
I might be a cynic, but I can't help but think her insurance policy says "unmodified" :D
They'd need to be told about any modifications. Going by the turbo I expect she will not be covered in the case of an accident...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They'd need to be told about any modifications.

I think you slightly missed the point there, i.e. that many drivers of heavily modified cars lie about it...

Going by the turbo I expect she will not be covered in the case of an accident...

...and thus aren't in fact insured. (The RTA part of the policy has to pay out, but then can sue the policyholder for the cost of doing so).

DustyBin

Established Member

I've never asked (funnily enough!) but I'd be inclined to say everything's above board. Even if it was only her car damaged (or stolen) it's a lot of money to risk losing. The other thing is I'm pretty sure she does the odd track day, so you're asking to get caught out if the the track day insurance lists modifications that the everyday insurance doesn't. I'm not sure how much cross referencing actually happens in reality, but it's another reason to play it straight. It's surprising how little impact modifications can have on premiums; like most things insurance related it often makes no sense!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've never asked (funnily enough!) but I'd be inclined to say everything's above board. Even if it was only her car damaged (or stolen) it's a lot of money to risk losing. The other thing is I'm pretty sure she does the odd track day, so you're asking to get caught out if the the track day insurance lists modifications that the everyday insurance doesn't. I'm not sure how much cross referencing actually happens in reality, but it's another reason to play it straight. It's surprising how little impact modifications can have on premiums; like most things insurance related it often makes no sense!

Sometimes, depending what they are, they can reduce the premium. A signwritten van for instance costs less to insure than a blank white one because it's more likely it will be recovered if stolen.

DustyBin

Established Member
Sometimes, depending what they are, they can reduce the premium. A signwritten van for instance costs less to insure than a blank white one because it's more likely it will be recovered if stolen.

I hadn't thought about that but I can see the logic. Surely big brake conversions should reduce them too, as you can stop in a shorter distance.... ;)

Hybrid turbos are generally at the other end of the spectrum though!

Status
Not open for further replies.