Castle between Rhyl and Colwyn Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheridan

Sorry for the vague post, I wish I could remember more specifically where I was, but somewhere on the North Wales Coast line heading from Rhyl to Colwyn Bay there is a stunning castle up in the hills on the inland side, and I can't for the life of me work out what or where it is. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
Sorry for the vague post, I wish I could remember more specifically where I was, but somewhere on the North Wales Coast line heading from Rhyl to Colwyn Bay there is a stunning castle up in the hills on the inland side, and I can't for the life of me work out what or where it is. Can anyone help?
Thanks

It's not actually a castle, it's a folly. there was a report about it on the BBC Wales news a few weeks ago, I'll see if I can dig it up when I'm not on the mobile.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Do you mean Gwrych Castle, a mile or so west of Abergele & Pensarn station ? Impressive, but not a real castle, just a rich man's mansion designed to look like a castle. Building commenced in 1819.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
The pictures are of part of the estate, the building on the right has had many owners, in the 1960s it was a night club & is near to the line which runs below.

However to the left on the hill is another smaller folly, the main Castle building is about a mile away near Abergele.

Indeed the estate has had a chequered past,and much of it is in total ruin.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.