• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Catering on Long Distance Dutch Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoorslag '70

The train should be starting in the same direction as the Den Haag ones (i.e. towards the left when looking from low to high platform numbers). The 1605 ex Rotterdam should be formed of ten double deckers (DDZ, very smart units) and has a reversal in Utrecht.

You can check the formation in real time (approximately from the evening before) via the NS app.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
The inbound train has a 10 minute turnaround at Rotterdam (having just arrived from Groningen) so you can board and find a seat to your liking from 15:55. When departing from Rotterdam, the train will depart westbound (same direction as The Hague and Amsterdam), and will make a sharp turn to head north. It reverses at Utrecht, so if you prefer to sit in the direction of travel throughout your journey you'll have to change seats there.

The 1605 ex Rotterdam should be formed of ten double deckers (DDZ, very smart units) and has a reversal in Utrecht.
The composition of this specific service (train 559, the 16:05 Rotterdam - Groningen) varies along the week. On Su-Th it is formed of DDZ coaches (in varying lengths), on Friday and Saturday it is formed of ICMm "Koploper" single deck units. Both of them are very good trains.

geoffk

Established Member
Note: you are advised to NOT go via Ams Central, change at Rotterdam or SCHIPHOL airport for quicker trip. S'hol has no barriers, but your ticket can gain exit/entry all day in all such stations that do. Both these have hourly direct trains to Gron-and ev 30 mins with change cross-platform @ Zwolle in between. Changing at S'hol let you taste the HS-line to there from RTM. Look yourself what stations offer best timings.
To go Veendam its often quicker to use the fast bus from Assen to there-but that you have to pay for.
I've not been on the train in the Netherlands since 1997 and stations were all "open". I was under the impression that only the UK had ticket barriers/gates, apart maybe from high speed lines in Spain and some Metros. Evidently things have changed.

farci

My trip to the Netherlands is getting close. I Think I will be on a train from Rotterdam Centraal to Groningen at 16.05 hrs / arriving 18.42. I prefer to sit facing direction of travel, would the train firstly depart as if towards Den Haag/Amsterdam etc or in the opposite direction as if towards Brussels? Hoping it will be a double deck train too.
This is your train route:

Rotterdam Centraal 16:05 Platform 14 IC 559
Rotterdam Alexander 16:13
Gouda 16:24
Utrecht Centraal 16:49
Amersfoort 17:05
Zwolle 17:45
Assen 18:25
Groningen 18:42
https://www.ns.nl/en/journeyplanner...time=1561730859436&hash=-881231742&source=url

Seems like no change in direction No idea if double deck train. No seat reservations possible

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I just heard there is some sort of problem with the track on the way to Groningen and there may be a bus replacement for some of the journey next week.

MisterT

When are you travelling exactly? There are massive maintenance/reconstruction works being carried out between 6 and 22 July in the Zwolle area. Depending on the date, you might have to travel by rail replacement bus between 't Harde and Zwolle or even 't Harde and Meppel on some days.
Your train ticket is (obviously) valid on the rail replacement bus and the journey might take 15 to 45 minutes longer than usual.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Tks for that. I am travelling 11 to 17 July. So will be prepared now for bus replacements.

AlexNL

Established Member
The journey planner on ns.nl is now up to date and shows the replacement buses.

You will be traveling by train from Rotterdam to 't Harde. From 't Harde to Zwolle, you'll have to travel by a replacement bus (20 minute journey, + waiting times). You can resume your journey by train from Zwolle onwards.

I don't know what rolling stock you can expect on the Zwolle-Groningen leg of your journey. Due to the engineering works taking place at Zwolle, platform capacity is limited and a hodgepodge of rolling stock (VIRM, ICM, DDZ, SNG) is expected to be used on the various services.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi. I am all ready and looking forward to going on my trip to the Netherlands soon. (In spite of the bus replacements in the Zwolle area) Would any one know which type of Eurostar train (New, Old Refurbished or Old unrefurbished?) will be used on the 1104 from STP to Rotterdam and back on I think the 1457 ish from Brussels which arrives STP 1605? Tks Steve.

MisterT

Only the new E320 trains are allowed into the Netherlands (those are the only Eurostar trains with ERTMS and the Dutch ATB signalling system).

AlexNL

Established Member
If you have already booked your ticket, you can go to Eurostar's "Manage my booking" page to change your seat. While it won't tell you directly what type of train is used on your service, you can find out by looking at where the bar is.

On TMST/e300 (Class 373) trains, the bar is located in coaches 6 and 13.
On e320 (Class 374) trains, the bar is located in coaches 8 and 9.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, I am now back from my trip, all went well with Eurostar, NS & Arriva, changed at T'Harde outbound and Kampen Ziud on return, had double decker on the 16.05 from Rotterdam and 3 x 3 carriage IC units, single deck, but with raised drivers cabin coming back.

On both these trains, there was a lad selling drinks and snacks from a back pack thingy. However, I did have time to buy food/drink at the stations before I got on.

Groningen station, as mentioned above is amazing.

On Arriva in the North East they were 2 or 3 car DMUs, with the motor in the middle.

It will be good when you can get Eurostar all the way back, rather than having to change at Brussels. it was so good going out on the direct service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.