• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught by inspector for not having correct zonal ticket(s) for entire journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugyioana

Someone tell me how can I save money with a travel card doing only zone 1-2 and I live in zone 4!
Believe me, is not ok! I was stopped by a Southern inspector who take all my detail!
All my details have been sent to the main office!
And from there what can happen???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum. Please let us know the following so we can provide specific advice:

The stations where you started & finished your journey;
  • The stations where you changed trains (if applicable);
  • If you presented a ticket(s), the information stated under "Ticket type", "From", "To", "Route", and any other relevant details;
  • What happened in any encounter with railway staff;
  • Uploading copies of any paperwork (with personal details redacted) with your post.
  • Be careful not to post anything incriminating or personally identifying
  • We need to know what outcome(s) you would consider satisfactory

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Someone tell me how can I save money with a travel card doing only zone 1-2 and I live in zone 4!
Believe me, is not ok! I was stopped by a Southern inspector who take all my detail!
All my details have been sent to the main office!
And from there what can happen???
The experts will be along soon but I suspect you traveled without a valid ticket between Zone 4 (where you live?) and the boundary of Zone 2 where your travel card started. How long have you been doing this?

To answer your question, you could probably save money by buying a Zone 1 - 4 travel card instead of avoiding fares.

This encounter "could" prove rather expensive for you.

Please answer AlterEgo's questions above and how long you have been doing this

spag23

On Moderation
How was the OP getting through the Zone 4 gates? Assuming it has them.

miklcct

On Moderation
The OP can save money by buying a Zone 1-2 Travelcard, and use London Buses to access everywhere outside Zone 1-2. Or alternatively, buy a Zone 2-4 Travelcard and bus in to Central London from Zone 2, depending on the exact commute.

Wethebest838

How was the OP getting through the Zone 4 gates? Assuming it has them.
Maybe it’s a DLR station as most have no barriers like Woolwich Arsenal. Then I would imagine they tap out in zone 1. It would show no tap in on the reader. It would flag up on TFL’s side though!!

My guess is the OP or someone else was caught and had their oyster scanned on their readers and shows as it’s not tapped in.

Last edited:

CheapAndNerdy

I believe that a travel card allows you to use all London buses, even those outside your zones, so you could catch a bus to zone 2 and then get a train.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I believe that a travel card allows you to use all London buses, even those outside your zones, so you could catch a bus to zone 2 and then get a train.
It isn't a question. The OP is saying that someone did tell them a way of saving money (which turned out not to be legitimate).

MrJeeves

Established Member
It would flag up on TFL’s side though!
...and they do investigate cards with regular "missing taps" like this person may have been doing.

This is never a good idea, but what's done is done. We can wish the best for OP wrt an out-of-court settlement as it looks like that will probably be their best route from here.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We need to know more details from the OP to offer full advice.

A Southern inspector is mentioned in the opening post so I suspect the OP is dealing with GTR and travelled to/from an inner suburban GTR station in Zone 4.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A Southern inspector is mentioned in the opening post so I suspect the OP is dealing with GTR and travelled to/from an inner suburban GTR station in Zone 4.
So a rail journey such as Thornton Heath / Selhurst (or maybe Norwood Junction) into/from Central London? @Bugyioana. Could you further advise/clarify?

Kite159

Veteran Member
So a rail journey such as Thornton Heath / Selhurst (or maybe Norwood Junction) into/from Central London? @Bugyioana. Could you further advise/clarify?
Most likely one of the Southern stations which don't have barriers, which rules out Selhurst & Norwood. Not 100% sure on Thornton Heath. Maybe somewhere like Mitcham Junction or Hackbridge, maybe even Birkbeck/Beckenham Junction.

However as the location of the OP is "Grove Park" that is a good guess where they started from

Status
Not open for further replies.