• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught By London Midland Without A Valid Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a stupid mistake. I was travelling (on a lovely shiny new 17?) from Worcester Foregate Street to Birmingham New Street. A very cheery Guard came through the carriage, said hello to everybody and started checking tickets. When he came to me he stopped and said my ticket was for the wrong date.

I had purchased it several days earlier because it was to Milton Keynes and I wanted seat reservations from Birmingham. I had got all my dates mixed up. I even remember doing it so cannot blame the staff at the Travel Centre at Worcester Foregate Street.

Anyway he pointed out my mistake, marked my ticket and told me not to worry. I was very pleased as I guess I could have got a penalty fare. I just thought I would let you all know. Guards often get such a bad press and I thought he was really decent.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS At Birmingham I purchase a new single ticket to Milton Keynes from a vending machine. At Coventry I visited the travel centre and a very helpful person changed the date on the seat reservations for my return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Ok...good that we're not having to advise on a penalty fare.

But what ticket exactly did you buy, when, and from where? What had you asked for?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok...good that we're not having to advise on a penalty fare.

But what ticket exactly did you buy, when, and from where?

Any Time Return Worcester to Milton Keynes. Purchased from Worcester Foregate Street Travel Centre. Valid from the day after I travelled. Entirely my own mistake. Returned the following day. So no problems with the return part. Luckily I had not messed up my hotel reservation.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Any Time Return Worcester to Milton Keynes. Purchased from Worcester Foregate Street Travel Centre. Valid from the day after I travelled. Entirely my own mistake. Returned the following day. So no problems with the return part. Luckily I had not messed up my hotel reservation.

As it is a flexible walk-on ticket and you used it before its validity (hence pretty much ruling out the possibility of repeated use), I believe that many guards are likely to show discretion in these situations.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely you could have got the date changed at Birmingham New St on payment of a £10 admin fee?

At £104 that's a very expensive ticket!

Next time how about an Anytime Return to Coventry (£15.80), and another ticket from there (Anytime Return routed Any Permitted £49, or LM Only £34, or depending on the time of your journey possibly an Off Peak Return at £18.40 routed Any Permitted)

Minimum saving £36.50

If you travelled at peak times, there's no need to reserve on Virgin as the trains are quiet due to high fares ;)

Do you hold a Railcard?

I did think about changing the date but as I had already travelled without a valid ticket (with the kind agreement of the guard) I did not want to attract further attention. I thought a discreet visit to a vending machine a better option.

Sorry I had an off-peak return £38.10. At £104 for the any time I think I would drive (which I prefer no to do). I am between a Young Person and Senior railcard. Nearer the Senior. Thank you for the advice regarding breaking tickets I have another trip in February and may have to go early morning.

Best wishes, Stephen.

beeza1

Surely you could have got the date changed at Birmingham New St on payment of a £10 admin fee?

I can never understand why this fee is so high, after all the "admin" will probably take less than a minute.
I have changed my seat reservation to a different train on several occasions and have never been charged an "admin fee".

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I can never understand why this fee is so high, after all the "admin" will probably take less than a minute.
I have changed my seat reservation to a different train on several occasions and have never been charged an "admin fee".

It's not intended to be a true reflection of the work involved, though. Like Ryanair's check in at the airport fees, it is intended to encourage passengers to be sur eof their plans before they buy a ticket! (As well as revenue generation, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.