• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught with invalid ticket

Singed

I was travelling a few days ago and I bought a ticket to the next stop. Stupid I know. When I saw the inspector I bought a full ticket. He scanned it and said it was invalid. He suspected that I came from an earlier stop. I showed him the ticket I used to get past the barriers and he said that I didn’t use this ticket. He then took a photo of my ticket and my face. I used a guest trainline account and paid through Apple Pay. I just wanted to ask what I could expect in the coming weeks. He didn’t take my name or address. Will I be issued a standard penalty fare of £100 or will it be more and can they find my name and address with the information they have.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
I was travelling a few days ago and I bought a ticket to the next stop. Stupid I know. When I saw the inspector I bought a full ticket. He scanned it and said it was invalid. He suspected that I came from an earlier stop. I showed him the ticket I used to get past the barriers and he said that I didn’t use this ticket. He then took a photo of my ticket and my face. I used a guest trainline account and paid through Apple Pay. I just wanted to ask what I could expect in the coming weeks. He didn’t take my name or address. Will I be issued a standard penalty fare of £100 or will it be more and can they find my name and address with the information they have.
They may be able to get your details through your payment card linked to your apple pay although I don't think this is actually possible. It's also possible if the inspector recognises you in the future they are more likely to take further action, the likelihood of them recognising you will be greater if you don't have a valid ticket.

If they do contact you, they will not issue you a penalty fare as these can only be issued on the spot. You may be offered an out of court settlement (usually a higher amount than a penalty fare and not subject to an appeals process), or you may be prosecuted in court. Without knowing which train company this is I can't tell you which is more likely.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Singed. Welcome to the forum. Be helpful if you could have a read of the linked post (below) and then advise all the additional details of your particular incident...

Singed

They may be able to get your details through your payment card linked to your apple pay although I don't think this is actually possible. It's also possible if the inspector recognises you in the future they are more likely to take further action, the likelihood of them recognising you will be greater if you don't have a valid ticket.

If they do contact you, they will not issue you a penalty fare as these can only be issued on the spot. You may be offered an out of court settlement (usually a higher amount than a penalty fare and not subject to an appeals process), or you may be prosecuted in court. Without knowing which train company this is I can't tell you which is more likely.
It was a London northwestern railway train. Although I don’t remember the inspector offering me the opportunity to pay a penalty fare. He just took a photo of me and my ticket.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Singed. In the brief circumstances that you've described, it was highly unlikely that you'd ever have been offered a Penalty Fare. They are normally only ever issued for persons making an "honest mistake". From what you've said, you apparently didn't make an "honest mistake", so you can now expect to receive a "Notice of Prosecution" letter or similar, in the post.

Presume you provided the Revenue Protection member of staff with a correct name and address and that inspection of your online ticket purchasing history won't show any other occasions of what might be described as "short faring".

Singed

@Singed. In the brief circumstances that you've described, it was highly unlikely that you'd ever have been offered a Penalty Fare. They are normally only ever issued for persons making an "honest mistake". You apparently didn't, so expect to receive a "Notice of Prosecution" letter or similar.

Presume you provided the Revenue Protection member of staff with a correct name and address and that inspection of your online ticket purchasing history won't show any other occasions of "short faring".
I do have previous purchases of short fairs. But he didn’t take my name or address. I was just curious if they’re able to identify me with what they have.

Singed

They're unlikely to be able to identify you.
I forgot to mention I did go to the help desk after to talk to the Lnwr people. The lady at the desk pretty much said if he didn’t take your name and address then don’t worry about it.

Veteran Member
Hi.

Did you ever receive anything?
The OP only travelled "a few days ago" (perhaps a fortnight now?) so (1) your question is premature and (2) they may well not be reading the forum now.

Their circumstances are also somewhat different from your own, as they didn't behave suspiciously (as you have admitted) by walking off.

Established Member
"Don't worry it's a guest account" - of note the payment cardholder name is still visible to the retailer (Trainline), probably with a billing address.

Last edited: