• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught without a day ticket - Chiltern

gholamkabuj

Hi all,

Yesterday I was caught on the train without a valid ticket. I intended to buy an off-peak return day ticket so I didn’t get it before boarding the train. The inspector caught me and took my details, told me to wait for a letter. I immediately got the ticket (that I wanted to buy anyway) but he didn’t accept it. As I read the similar experiences, I understood the consensus is for me to wait to receive the letter. Since I’m very anxious, can I do anything proactively? Especially, I am worried that the letter is lost/delayed in the chaos due to the new year’s. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
If there was an opportunity for you to buy a ticket before you got on the train, you were in the wrong in that the rules say that if you can buy a ticket you should buy a ticket. So you probably won't be able to resolve this one without paying something to the railway company.

That means that the best thing you can do just now is make a note of as many details as possible of what happened - where you were, what the inspector said, what you said and so on. If you don't, then when you get the letter from the railway you will have forgotten exactly what happened!

It would also help us to let you know what's likely to happen and when if you can give us a few details: in particular, which railway company was it, and it would also be helpful to know where you were travelling from and to, and at what time.

Gloster

Established Member
The thread title says Chiltern, so the OP should be aware that they are less likely to be lenient than other companies. Other than that there is little that can be done but wait until the letter arrives.

gholamkabuj

If there was an opportunity for you to buy a ticket before you got on the train, you were in the wrong in that the rules say that if you can buy a ticket you should buy a ticket. So you probably won't be able to resolve this one without paying something to the railway company.

That means that the best thing you can do just now is make a note of as many details as possible of what happened - where you were, what the inspector said, what you said and so on. If you don't, then when you get the letter from the railway you will have forgotten exactly what happened!

It would also help us to let you know what's likely to happen and when if you can give us a few details: in particular, which railway company was it, and it would also be helpful to know where you were travelling from and to, and at what time.
Yes I know I was in the wrong. I would be more than happy to achieve an out of court settlement. But I’m anxious over the possibility of the court and conviction. In particular, if I don’t receive the letter in a couple of weeks, should I reach out to them proactively to see if a letter has been sent/issued?

The thread title says Chiltern, so the OP should be aware that they are less likely to be lenient than other companies. Other than that there is little that can be done but wait until the letter arrives.
Thank you very much for your response. I understand that, I’m hoping to get a settlement by apologizing and trying to compensate everything. Especially I’m worried if the new year’s chaos leads to their letter being lost or something.

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Hi all,

I intended to buy an off-peak return day ticket so I didn’t get it before boarding the train.
I think this is the bit that is confusing. What difference does the type of ticket you were intending to buy make in terms of why you didn't buy it before boarding? If nothing then it's irrelevant, but if there is a reason then we need to understand it, in case it makes a difference to your case.

gholamkabuj

I think this is the bit that is confusing. What difference does the type of ticket you were intending to buy make in terms of why you didn't buy it before boarding? If nothing then it's irrelevant, but if there is a reason then we need to understand it, in case it makes a difference to your case.
Thank you very much for your response.
It didn't make any difference. I was just in a rush to catch the train so I didn't get the ticket in advance. I understand that I should have, and I don't challenge that. I'm just looking for avoiding the court now and very anxious about its prospects.

fandroid

Established Member
Thank you very much for your response. I understand that, I’m hoping to get a settlement by apologizing and trying to compensate everything. Especially I’m worried if the new year’s chaos leads to their letter being lost or something.
Why are you especially concerned about the New Year? It's only November. It's true that the post slows down in December. Don't worry too much about that. If you get a letter with a response deadline that's already passed or is imminent, respond immediately telling them the date of receipt of the letter, and promise a full response soon after.

Or are you worried that you will be away from your address over Christmas and New Year? If that's likely, then you should make arrangements for your post to be picked up on your behalf or redirected by Royal Mail.

gholamkabuj

Why are you especially concerned about the New Year? It's only November. It's true that the post slows down in December. Don't worry too much about that. If you get a letter with a response deadline that's already passed or is imminent, respond immediately telling them the date of receipt of the letter, and promise a full response soon after.

Or are you worried that you will be away from your address over Christmas and New Year? If that's likely, then you should make arrangements for your post to be picked up on your behalf or redirected by Royal Mail.
Thank you very much for your response. I am not going to be away, but I don’t want to miss their deadline since I am very anxious about this matter. I thought about proactively reaching out to them, which seems futile.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

As you're aware it's an offence to board a train without a valid ticket. There are a few exceptions but these don't appear to be relevent in this case. What will happen next is that a company called Transport Investigations Limited (who hadle these sort of cases on behalf of CHiltern Railways) will write to you. The letter normally takes a few weeks to arrive and will say that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events before deciding how to proceed. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. I suggest your response includes the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Chiltern/TIL are often more difficult to deal with than other rail companies but they do often offer an out of court settlement to people who have not come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and they are within their right to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court should they decide to do so.

If you are offered a settlement the cost tends to be around £150 plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

There isn't really anything you can do to try and speed up delivery of the letter. Chiltern/TIL deal with loads of these sort of cases and you will have to wait for your turn. In the meantime (and I appreciate it's easy to say this) try and put the incident to the back of your mind and get on with your life.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

gholamkabuj

Welcome to the forum!

As you're aware it's an offence to board a train without a valid ticket. There are a few exceptions but these don't appear to be relevent in this case. What will happen next is that a company called Transport Investigations Limited (who hadle these sort of cases on behalf of CHiltern Railways) will write to you. The letter normally takes a few weeks to arrive and will say that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events before deciding how to proceed. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. I suggest your response includes the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Chiltern/TIL are often more difficult to deal with than other rail companies but they do often offer an out of court settlement to people who have not come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and they are within their right to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court should they decide to do so.

If you are offered a settlement the cost tends to be around £150 plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

There isn't really anything you can do to try and speed up delivery of the letter. Chiltern/TIL deal with loads of these sort of cases and you will have to wait for your turn. In the meantime (and I appreciate it's easy to say this) try and put the incident to the back of your mind and get on with your life.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.
Dear @Hadders, thank you so much for your thorough explanation. Of course, I will update you guys and get advice from you once the letter arrives.

gray1404

Established Member
At what station did you begin your journey and what time of day was it? Also please keep hold of the ticket you did purchase as proof that you have actually paid your fare.

gholamkabuj

At what station did you begin your journey and what time of day was it? Also please keep hold of the ticket you did purchase as proof that you have actually paid your fare.
I started from Oxford to London M. It was around 10-ish in the morning. Yes, the inspector attached my ticket to his file as well.

Stargull

How did you get through the barriers at Oxford? It's very very rare for them to be open at this time in the morning.

gholamkabuj

Hello,

I still haven’t heard back from Chiltern/TIL regarding my incident on Nov 20. Should I contact them preemptively? I know it is likely to take longer, but I don’t want to risk having missed any correspondence and escalation of the matter!

Thank you!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello,

I still haven’t heard back from Chiltern/TIL regarding my incident on Nov 20. Should I contact them preemptively? I know it is likely to take longer, but I don’t want to risk having missed any correspondence and escalation of the matter!

Thank you!
It's not been a month yet so you're being a little premature. Anecdotally I'd say CHiltern do seem to take a bit longer if they are researching online accounts via Trainline.

As long as you gave them your correct address you will get a letter!

gholamkabuj

It's not been a month yet so you're being a little premature. Anecdotally I'd say CHiltern do seem to take a bit longer if they are researching online accounts via Trainline.

As long as you gave them your correct address you will get a letter!
Thank you so much for your response. I saw on the website of one of the well-known solicitors (that I do not name at this stage) that they advised to contact them even if the letter has not been received yet. Is there any material significance in that or is it just something that a solicitor would say?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My own view is that contacting them is premature. You don’t even know whether Chiltern or Transport Investigations Limited is dealing with your case.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Thank you so much for your response. I saw on the website of one of the well-known solicitors (that I do not name at this stage) that they advised to contact them even if the letter has not been received yet. Is there any material significance in that or is it just something that a solicitor would say?
I'm not disagreeing with hadders, but there have been cases on here where a solicitor has got the whole thing agreed and paid off before an initial letter. I guess they'd use the argument the rail company has spent less time on it therefore the costs will be less to settle. But that should be balanced against the solicitor spending more time on it and charging for that!
However, in your case, I'd certainly wait for the letter and go from there.

spag23

On Moderation
But that should be balanced against the solicitor spending more time on it and charging for that!
Indeed. I doubt you'd get many minutes of solicitor's time for the £150 the TOCs typically charge for their admin.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm not disagreeing with hadders, but there have been cases on here where a solicitor has got the whole thing agreed and paid off before an initial letter. I guess they'd use the argument the rail company has spent less time on it therefore the costs will be less to settle. But that should be balanced against the solicitor spending more time on it and charging for that!
However, in your case, I'd certainly wait for the letter and go from there.
We do get some reports of solicitors being able to ‘fast track’ cases but solicitor costs are usually significant and have to be paid in addition to the settlement cost.

I remain of the opinion that it’s best to wait for them to contact you.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is there any material significance in that or is it just something that a solicitor would say?
Well, the sooner you engage them, the sooner they can start charging you!
there have been cases on here where a solicitor has got the whole thing agreed and paid off before an initial letter.
There have, but at great expense. If there were multiple instances of fare evasion this might be worth consideration but in a single case the expense of engaging a solicitor will far outweigh the cost of waiting and handling the matter oneself.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
We do get some reports of solicitors being able to ‘fast track’ cases but solicitor costs are usually significant and have to be paid in addition to the settlement cost.

I remain of the opinion that it’s best to wait for them to contact you.

Well, the sooner you engage them, the sooner they can start charging you!

There have, but at great expense. If there were multiple instances of fare evasion this might be worth consideration but in a single case the expense of engaging a solicitor will far outweigh the cost of waiting and handling the matter oneself.
I maybe should have been clearer, but I am in agreement that the OP should at least wait for a letter. But I was just trying to explain why a solicitor would suggest that.

VT118

Hello,

Thank you!

I didn't get mine till almost 6 months after the incident

I started to think that it had slipped through the net

Narrator: "It hadn't"

Noble1983

I had a similar experience to you, letter took 3 months to arrive.

I responded within a day using the example of letters given on this forum. Saying I was sorry, lessons learnt etc. be honest and take full responsibility don’t give a sob story.

Within a week they responded offering an out of court settlement for £137. I would avoid stressing to much as the key thing with my case was it was my first time I’d come to their attention. If this is the same for you I’d imagine they’ll be more keen to discuss an out of court settlement.

Hope this helps easing you worrying all the time.