• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central line Brake failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubefan2013

Does anyone remember a few weeks back of a Brake failure on the Central lineafter it overshot the platform at Holland Park? Looking on the RMT website its quite shocking how the brakes have failed. If the brakes failed how did the train stop? Is there a seperate braking system?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
The brakes didn't fail, the train overshot the platform by 1 car, and was taken out of service at the next station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's an authoritative source? I'd have expected something to be on RAIB by now if there was a 'wrong side' brake failure? This incident only seems to be documented on ITV.com and nowhere else...

carriageline

Established Member
Does anyone remember a few weeks back of a Brake failure on the Central lineafter it overshot the platform at Holland Park? Looking on the RMT website its quite shocking how the brakes have failed. If the brakes failed how did the train stop? Is there a seperate braking system?

Even reading the ITV page, it says there was no failure, just one shoe "wore through", a train still has brakes, one shoe shouldn't make too much difference I imagine?

NSEFAN

Established Member
The driver describes it as a "brakes failure", but that doesn't necessarily mean the situation was dangerous. A complete failure of the brakes would mean the train is not going anywhere, so it implies the brakes were merely faulty, something which could be assessed at the depot. If the train cannot perform its duties then it should be taken out of service. Detraining the passengers would more likely be a safety precaution, rather than a response to an immediately dangerous situation.

This sounds like ITV trying to stir up some trouble for a story. ;)

bronzeonion

How many miles do these tube stock do in 28 days?

Well, Epping - West Ruislip is just over 30 miles, and they do that everyday in double figure amounts.

It's not just mileage though, its wear and tear on the trains components. ATO drives the train in a very unnatural method, for example when 'cruising' between stations at line speed ATO drives as full power to off very frequently to keep to speed.

lonogrol

The train at the time was being driven in Coded Manual and had a train technician on board who was investigating a problem.

Tubefan2013

28 Day maintenence cycle is terrible! Was it every 14 days prior to this? Really cuts in maintainance is just asking for trouble. Especially with ATO the way it drives the train is really going to cause wear and tear as bronzeonion stated. What would happen if the train did loose its brakes? Although would imagine it would be failsafe.

BestWestern

Established Member
I would think it would depend on the quality of the maintenance!

What exactly happens between the 'maintenance' every 28 days; presumably there are some form of general checks carried out daily?

Tubefan2013

28 day maintainance is fine however I believe 14 is better :D it depends how you way it up. I think considering how many miles the 92 stock does, also considering its 32 miles from west ruslip to Epping that's a lot of wear and tear each day. Also its not as if its like the 2009 and S stocks which are new and probably won't require much maintanance at this moment in time. The 92 stock is 20+ years old also its one of the most neglected stocks on the LU however since the refresh things seem to have put the heart back into the 1992 stock :)

Nym

Established Member
It's more to do with it shortly being one of only three LU stocks still making use of DC traction motors, when the C69/77 and D78 stock leaves us, the only two DC stocks will be the 1972TS and 1973TS with RPA control (that is quite gentle on brushes and manually driven) and 1992TS that has 'worse' motors and using PWM-VV(ISC) control tears through them. Since the bushing on the 1992TS never gets a rest from the gaps on the RPA and are always running in service as traction or dynamic whenever moving over about 7mph, they have a very hard life.

Tubefan2013

Really ATO can't be doing much good to the trains. Its funny how the manually driven stocks are in a much better mechianical condition than the ATO lines. The W&C line trains seem to be in a good condition. Yet I am sure I seem to recall that the 1992 stock DC motors would be replaced?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Tubefan2013 said:
Really ATO can't be doing much good to the trains. Its funny how the manually driven stocks are in a much better mechianical condition than the ATO lines. The W&C line trains seem to be in a good condition. Yet I am sure I seem to recall that the 1992 stock DC motors would be replaced?

Whilst ATO might be driving the trains with harsher braking and acceleration, the W&C stock isn't exactly doing the same amount of constant starting and stopping that, say, the Central line trains are doing.

D365

Veteran Member

Evo Stock is intended to replace 72, 73 and 92 as it appears that replacing the whole train is better value than fitting AC traction to the latter. I guess drivers are gentler than computers, when looking at Central vs W&C 1992TS ;)

Nym

Established Member
Evo Stock is intended to replace 72, 73 and 92 as it appears that replacing the whole train is better value than fitting AC traction to the latter. I guess drivers are gentler than computers, when looking at Central vs W&C 1992TS ;)

Stock utilisation is also significantly lower on the drain than the Central Line...

Nym

Established Member
Do we have any fans of the 1992TS on this forum?

They did herald a massive leap forwards in ATO operation on LUL with the first system that inteligently drove the units to a target speed from ATP...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not a fan of them ( by far I would prefer the old 1938 stock! ) but I do like the dark red pre-refurbishment interior colour scheme as it wasn't harsh on the eyes like all the more recent stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.