Central Line service changes from January 2020

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by Ethano92, 2 Nov 2019.

1. Ethano92

Ethano92 Member

Just read this article from the Ilford recorder
    https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/ne...vices-between-woodford-and-hainault-1-6348464

Looking at the petition itself I've found comments calling it a cost-cutting decision, telling people not to believe it's for maintenance and my favourite.
    Now I understand they were referring to both Ealing Broadway and the Ruislip area having other services nearby but I find it comical still, as though they simply believed the West side must run with empty trains whilst the East side is full.

The 92 stock really does need some work both from a passenger and I'm guessing a mechanical perspective so if TFL do want to (sensibly) keep high frequencies through the core, what other options do they have. A similarly reduced service West Ruislip to Northolt?

Last edited: 3 Nov 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. AM9

AM9 Established Member

That petition won't get very far. The Hainault to Woodford service has been a shuttle for many years in it's history, I don't use the line these days but I can't see it being too heavily loaded for passengers to board. Each station on the loop will have a route to London and there will be little difference in travelling time over direct services through the core and for relatively few passengers, a change at Woodford (same platform) or Hainault (50% same platform in the morning peak) will be necessary. Roding Valley is the least used station on LU ISTR.
    The western side cannot be compared with the loop, it's more like the Hainault vs Epping lines, and nobody is suggesting that those are served by shuttles.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2019
  4. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Given that most customers from Chigwell and Roding Valley at least would usually go to Woodford and change anyway (as it is quicker that way), I doubt that many people will adversely be affected. The direct trains that run as 8-car from Grange Hill end of Hainault depot to central London direct via Woodford will continue.

5. Ethano92

Ethano92 Member

Indeed I agree the petition is somewhat pointless as many people don't use the direct service. I do wonder what TFLs response will be however, I couldn't find anything on their website in their 'planned engineering works' page.

6. Mojo

It isn’t planned works, it is a proposed timetable change.

7. Ethano92

Ethano92 Member

Oh, I took it as a temporary timetable change. And I suspected a reduced service (which Loughton-Epping will be) would be better advertised even if it only effects an extremity of the network.

8. Mojo

TT changes are normally advertised on posters at stations for customers affected and emails are often sent out too.

9. simple simon

simple simon Member

What I would hope for is that LU and TfL monitor the situation north of Loughton after the changed service have began.

Just to ensure that passengers are not being left behind because of over-crowded trains.

It would be an astonishment if the Hainault - Woodford service experienced severe over-crowding - without another totally unconnected cause.

10. BJames

BJames Member

The Hainault - Woodfood service can easily cope with 4 cars and a change at either Hainault or Woodford, as people have noted before. I have used this service to Grange Hill and I take the first train from Grange Hill, whether this is Hainault bound or Woodford bound, and change where necessary. I really can't see it affecting scores of people on this stretch.

North of Loughton - not sure at all about loadings but I can't imagine people will be left behind by overcrowded trains either.

11. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Not had half length trains running on the Underground since the A stock on the Chesham shuttle!

12. sprunt

sprunt Member

From the quote in the OP:

13. Mojo

It still isn’t works, as in track/signals works. It is a medium term timetable change; the planned engineering works page is for short-term closures. The service frequency will remain largely the same as at present.

14. sprunt

sprunt Member

So what are the "works we are carrying out" then? That can't refer to the timetable change, otherwise TfL would effectively have said "This new timetable is required as a result of the timetable change" which would be nonsense.

I didn't say anything about the planned engineering page so I'm unsure what the relevance of that is.

15. Mojo

Because that is what the response to the post you quoted is about.

16. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

It always used to be a shuttle, so meh. At least they're not going back to the days when Woodford-Hainault stopped at 8pm!