• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central Scotland Spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semwez

I'm a forum newbie so please be gentle with me!

I loved stations as a boy in the 70's but I've avoided photting on them for years, personally lineside stuff seems more 'challenging'. I'm also a miserable git and prefer to avoid people.

Having read some of the recent threads however I'm now questioning my prejudices and feel that photting on stations is more challenging...another reason for me to avoid them, unless of course I am travelling by train and have a valid ticket.

I'll be moving somewhere between Coatbridge and Cumbernauld soon and despite being an anti-social 'stationophobe' I would be grateful for a local lineside expert to share info/shoots with.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4589290742_c898c50d1c_b.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
I live in Cumbernauld
It really depends on what interests you
I have found that most freights pass through Cumbernauld at xx:30
More recently I have been using Greenfaulds, as the view is better

When the weather is good there is also an excellent view from the B802 Condorrat Road, parking is limited on this small country road

Gain Road is also good, but there is no parking and you need to walk north along the border of a field for the best view (well worth it though)

I also visit Croy quite often, but there is no freight (well I've never seen any)
However, you can see a lot of FSR units in a short space of time

Also consider Larbert
Lochlands Loan has an excellent views, but is very exposed
The road is also quiet busy
Bogend Road is much better, but again is very exposed

semwez

Cheers buddy, not quite sure exactly where i'll end up but your advice will give me a head start if it's around Cumbernauld.

Trainspots is showing Gain Rd, Greenhill Jnc and Dalnair Rd. It all looks pretty good. Mainly into freight stuff so possibly the Motherwell line looks best.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick - did you catch the Deltic Retro Scot tour up there today or the 37 ballast (which failed i think)?

Stuck down in Cornwall at the mo but there are 3 big railtours in June so won't be heading up before then!

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
did you catch the Deltic Retro Scot tour up there today or the 37 ballast (which failed i think)?
No, was working
If I am not working then I tend to get the timings from scot-rail.co.uk and decide if any workings are of interest, neither of these were

Status
Not open for further replies.