• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central Staff Shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
http://nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/a4ddd5fd0a04000401c84103e6ab7f00.html

Due to staff shortages, many Central Trains services will be cancelled and/or replaced by road transport on Sunday 20 May.

There will be no Central Trains services operating on the following routes and customers should use local buses (Travel West Midlands) to complete their journeys on which National Rail tickets will be accepted;

Birmingham New Street - Redditch (via Longbridge)
Birmingham New Street – Lichfield Trent Valley

Other Central Trains routes will operate as follows;

Nottingham – Skegness:
The 18:09 Nottingham – Skegness and 20.44 Skegness – Nottingham services will not run, a replacement bus service will operate and full timings can be found by clicking on the “alternate timetable” link below.

Newark Castle – Lincoln:
Some evening services will not run, further details can be found by clicking on the “further information” link below.

Birmingham New Street – Stansted Airport
A much reduced service will operate with many services replaced by a bus service. Full details can be found by clicking on the “alternate timetable” link below.

Liverpool Lime Street – Norwich:
Services on this route are affected by engineering work, further details can be found by clicking on the “further information” link below.

Birmingham New Street – Leicester:
Most Central Trains services between Birmingham and Leicester will not run, replacement buses will operate. Full timings can be found by clicking on the “alternate timetable” link below.

Birmingham New Street – Cardiff Central:
Most Central Train services between Birmingham and Cardiff Central will not run, alternative services are available between Birmingham and Cardiff using the services of other Train Operators. Customers travelling to/from Ashchurch for Tewksbury will be conveyed by a replacement bus service to/from Birmingham New Street for onward connections.

Birmingham New Street – Nottingham:
A reduced service will operate and customers may need to change trains to complete their journeys. Full timings can be found by clicking on the “alternate timetable” link below.

Birmingham New Street – Crewe/Liverpool:
Central Trains services between Birmingham New Street and Crewe / Liverpool Lime Street will not operate. A limited train service will operate between Crewe & Livepool Lime Street and between Liverpool Lime Street & Wolverhampton. A limited bus service will also operate between Wolverhampton & Stafford and between Crewe & Liverpool Lime Street. Customers making through journeys to/from Birmingham are advised to use the services of other Train Operators.

Birmingham New Street – Wolverhampton:
Central Trains services between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton will not operate. Customers are advised to use the services of other Train Operators or for local journeys, use Travel West Midlands bus services on which National Rail tickets will be valid.

Birmingham New Street - Rugeley Town:
Central Train services between Birmingham New Street and Rugeley Trent Valley will operate with a reduced service and will not call at Walsall.
Replacement road transport will operate between Tame Bridge Parkway and Walsall/Rugeley Trent Valley.
Full timings can be found by clicking on the “alternate timetable” link below.

Alternate Timetable: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/download/managed_files/ct.htm
Further Information: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/downl...ins_services_Sunday_20_May-20070519174421.htm
External Link: http://www.travelwm.co.uk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe they do need more drivers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6673873.stm

Sundays are not part of the normal working week. There may be 2 options here:
1) Make Sundays part of the normal working week (that means recruiting more drivers because you can't force people to work longer hours, and increasing basic pay, but then you aren't relying on overtime)
2) Pay a more attractive rate of overtime on Sundays to encourage enough drivers to do work those days

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I know someone who is Train Dispatch (or as CT call it 'despatch') at New Street (has been there for about a yead) and she doesn't get anything extra for working Sundays, and she has to as part of the shift work. I wonder if this also extends to Ticket Office staff.

I think, David, it's just drivers (and maybe Snr Conductors) for whom Sundays are voluntary.

Established Member
Yeah, I know someone who is Train Dispatch (or as CT call it 'despatch') at New Street (has been there for about a yead) and she doesn't get anything extra for working Sundays, and she has to as part of the shift work. I wonder if this also extends to Ticket Office staff.

I think, David, it's just drivers (and maybe Snr Conductors) for whom Sundays are voluntary.

Pretty sure its guards aswell, seeing as they seem to have Sunday blockades every now and then also.

westcoaster

Established Member
they just got there pay rise, quiet good as well, in our contract it says you are EXPECTED to work your black ink sunday, but if your not available you have to give 7 days notice, and they cant do jack about it, bloodey millitant that lot LOL, when we voted for strike only 30 % of papers came back.

compsci

Some of the morning Stansted services were effectively replaced by One running there from Cambridge due to engineering work. There were no FCC services to anywhere at all so this single One service was the only one going anywhere.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well CT are just asking for trouble aren't they...How the **** do you timetable a network of trains on the basis of expecting drivers to volunteer? Once again they show their incompetancies...If it wasn't for Farce we'd get no train service pretty much on Sundays anyway though! Can't rely on the more local operator to provide a service now can we...

Let's hope the new franchise provides an operator that can run trains on Sundays and does a half-decent bloody job of it!

Ascot

Established Member
Rail ent about a public service any more though, just about the profits. no matter how much ya wanna moan n groan, we gotta live with it until common sence kicks in.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Which will never happen it appears...Certainly not under a Labour government!

Bring on the next general election, I'll be doing my bit to ensure Labour doesn't get back in...Cue a signature change me thinks...

westcoaster

Established Member
even when the new franchise starts it will still be the same mate, the contracts dont change so sundays will still be voluntry, unless there are pay talks, if they want sundays in the working week its gona cost them and big time, everyone i know and my self dont want it as part of the working week.

Status
Not open for further replies.