• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of locomotives on service train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Are they any current service trains (not railtours) that change locomotive en route besides the Caledonian Sleeper? Just asking out of curiosity, because changes of locomotive used to happen when part of the route was electrified but not all (so changing from electric to diesel locomotive or vice versa at the limit of electrification).

I don't know why, instead of the Pendolino drag that happens on Saturdays on the North Wales Coast, Virgin don't use the Pretendolino from Euston to Crewe, then change the class 90 for a class 57 for the non-electrified North Wales Coast. (Because I wonder whether the electrics of the Pendolino would be heavier than the equivalent number of LHCS coaches, therefore using more fuel and being less environmentally friendly. And you still have a layover mid-journey at Crewe while they couple the 57, so you might as well change the class 90 for a 57 in that time).

Anyway, are there any current service trains that change locomotive en route other than the Caledonian Sleeper?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't know why, instead of the Pendolino drag that happens on Saturdays on the North Wales Coast, Virgin don't use the Pretendolino from Euston to Crewe, then change the class 90 for a class 57 for the non-electrified North Wales Coast.

I suspect because Pendolinos can run at 125mph and thus keep time, 90s can only do 110mph.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know why, instead of the Pendolino drag that happens on Saturdays on the North Wales Coast, Virgin don't use the Pretendolino from Euston to Crewe, then change the class 90 for a class 57 for the non-electrified North Wales Coast.

One of the main purposes of the Pendolino drag is to allow the train crew to practice the capability for use during WCML diversions of Pendolinos for engineering work.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The only one I can think of in recent years (not *now* though) was the Plymouth portion of the FGW Sleeper, which an 08 shunted into the station (whilst the rest of the train continued to Cornwall).

A lot of enthusiasts want to re-introduce this kind of "swapping haulage", but its a long time since it was commonplace (e.g. at Carstairs where diesel hauled Edinburgh portions of WCML services were attached/split from the electric hauled Glasgow portion)

EltonRoad

Possibly the only ones in regular operation are the summer Saturdays-only Great Yarmouth drags, although they don't change locos, they simply add a '47' onto the '90' which stays dead-in-tow in the formation.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the 57 probably still wouldn't be able to propel the train with the DVT being used for driving, as the controls are unlikely to be compatible with both 90s and 57s.

Plus, as said, it's a training thing as much as anything.

Hydro

Established Member
the 57 probably still wouldn't be able to propel the train with the DVT being used for driving, as the controls are unlikely to be compatible with both 90s and 57s.

Correctamundo, 57's cannot be controlled by a DVT as they do not have TDM equipment fitted. I'm not even sure 57/3's have any multi working kit?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Are there any diesels that are compatible with the TDM fitted to the 90-compatible DVTs? As I understand it, the 67-compatible ones have an entirely different multi working system compatible with (in this country) only 66s and 67s?

dk1

Veteran Member
I often think about this. In the 70s/80s it was almost unheard of to top'n'tail almost seemed extravagant. You just had a loco at the front. In those days most principal stations though had some sort of station pilot be it 03, 08 or another main line loco. I like to see a train with a leading loco only. It seems like a proper train to see it pass with an end coach vestibule & tail light.

Nym

Established Member
Are there any diesels that are compatible with the TDM fitted to the 90-compatible DVTs? As I understand it, the 67-compatible ones have an entirely different multi working system compatible with (in this country) only 66s and 67s?

59, 66 and 67 units use the AAR Coupling system...

(Association of American Railroads) This is nothing like TDM used here.

Hydro

Established Member

Come to think of it, the only diesels fitted with compatible TDM were the HST DVT conversions. I believe the Scotrail 47/7's had a similar, but incompatible, system when they worked with DBSO's on push-pull services.

Class 67 and the RES 47/7's have/had a system for controlling the Propelling Advisory Control System when working with PCV's - this used the RCH cables like TDM multi does. This wasn't like TDM as fitted to the electrics, merely relaying power instructions to the driver in the loco from another in the PCV when propelling during shunting.

biglunn

Just wondering... do the 67s working the Chiltern Mainline have TDM functionality? They work with ex-WCML DVTs. Or perhaps they have been modified?

Hydro

Established Member
The DVT's have been modified to work with AAR systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.