• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route and ticket type excess question

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
Can a Levenshulme to Halifax Anytime Return (rte: via HebdenBridge) be excessed (outbound only) to a Levenshulme to Halifax Off-Peak Return (rte: Any Permitted) for half the difference between the fares?

Have asked for this to be moved to the Fares forum as I mistakenly posted here.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Can a Levenshulme to Halifax Anytime Return (rte: via HebdenBridge) be excessed (outbound only) to a Levenshulme to Halifax Off-Peak Return (rte: Any Permitted) for half the difference between the fares?

Have asked for this to be moved to the Fares forum as I mistakenly posted here.

Think you are right. Here's the extract from the manual;

Return tickets - change of route in one direction only

Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Thanks - might have to try this at Euston, then, as Manchester Piccadilly aren't so good.

John @ home

Established Member
GadgetMan is correct in his quotation from The Manual, but I find it more helpful when paying a change of route excess fare that I am able to quote from the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, which are available to the public.
National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
13. The route you are entitled to take

... (d) The use of some tickets may be restricted to trains which take:
(i) routes passing through, or avoiding, particular locations; or
(ii) the most direct route.
These restrictions will be shown on the ticket.
(e) If you make your journey by a route other than those referred to in (a) and (b) above, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. This excess fare will be the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket(s) available at a ticket office for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel by that route.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc/NRCOC.pdf

calc7

Established Member
Update: a friendly man at London Euston (VT) issued this without hesitation. That ticket office gets another thumbs up from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.