• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

I'm travelling taunton to worthing and return, via Salisbury, saver fare £57 return. On the return date there are engineering works at both Chichester and around Salisbury, meaning there is no realistic journey possible, without probably 4 trains and 2 buses. In fact several journey planners won't even quote for that journey on that day (Sunday)
For me the only realistic return journey timewise is via London.
Firstly, as the return on the route I've bought a ticket for is so convoluted (via Salisbury), would my "via Salisbury" saver return be accepted on another route (i.e. via London)?
Secondly, if not, I could get a change of route excess for the return and pay half the difference between the return fares, but would it have to be excessed up to a saver return (as my original ticket), or as on a Sunday the Taunton Worthing supersaver return is valid, could I pay the difference between my original save "via Salisbury" return, and the "any permitted" supersaver return?
Lastly,are all ticket office able to do a change of route excess?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, you can excess to the Super Off-Peak. Fare is half the difference.

There may be acceptance in place via an alternative route, tweet the TOC nearer the date to ascertain, although I think acceptance via London is unlikely.

All good ticket offices should be able to sell it, and guards onboard.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I... could get a change of route excess for the return and pay half the difference between the return fares, but would it have to be excessed up to a saver return (as my original ticket), or as on a Sunday the Taunton Worthing supersaver return is valid, could I pay the difference between my original save "via Salisbury" return, and the "any permitted" supersaver return?...
The excess is HALF the difference between the fare paid and the APPROPRIATE fare for the journey.

So if you hold an Off Peak Return routed via Salisbury and the appropriate fare is the Super Off Peak Return routed Any Permitted then you pay half the difference between those fares.

See: 4.2.1 Excess: change of route
Lastly,are all ticket office able to do a change of route excess?
If they are adequately trained, yes.

If not, get it on board the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.