• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route when split tickets held

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm sure this will have been asked before, but a very quick search has failed to find anything relevant.

I hold this combination of split tickets for a journey to Bath:

CDR Dawlish to Taunton; CDR Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads; CDR Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa.

The through fare (i.e. not split) is valid via both the Bristol or Westbury routes.

What would happen if I tried to travel via Westbury with these three split tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

I believe you'd be treated as though you had no ticket at all (edit: past Taunton), with the full range of possible outcomes (let off with a warning, charged an anytime single, charged a penalty fare plus an anytime single, prosecuted) that entails.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm sure this will have been asked before, but a very quick search has failed to find anything relevant.

CDR Dawlish to Taunton; CDR Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads; CDR Bristol Temple Meads to Bath Spa.

The through fare (i.e. not split) is valid via both the Bristol or Westbury routes.

What would happen if I tried to travel via Westbury with these three split tickets?
You’d be sold a new ticket and/or route excesses for any and all portions of the route not covered by the splits.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For the purposes of working out excesses, you have to treat the tickets in a split separately. As such, you'd be off-route if not travelling in accordance with the validity of those individual tickets, and would be sold new tickets as appropriate (including the risk of a Penalty Fare if in an area offering these, I believe - suspect most guards wouldn't go down this route, but if it were me, I probably would want to sort any additional tickets to cover the gap on the rerouted section before travelling to avoid any risk of running into a RPI onboard).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

If checked before Taunton you'd be ok, after then you wouldn't have valid tickets for the journey you were making and would be treated as not having a ticket.

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your swift responses.

As I suspected really, but worth asking!

By splitting, I obviously save money, but also gain travel time flexibility by travelling with CDRs instaead of a SVR. Overall, this makes up for the small loss in route flexibility in my opinion.

Gaelan

How do Off Peak Day Returns give greater time flexibility than an Off Peak Return?
Not the ticket types per se, but the through ticket has restriction code WG (after 08:59 from Dawlish) whereas each part of the split tickets has restriction code W4 (after 08:44).

Quite a small difference, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.