• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes to Preston area services from December 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Southport to the airport has been discussed many times before. I'm not sure anyone has ever showed that there is sufficient demand for an a direct airport service from Southport, opposed to the former Southport to airport service existing for operational convenience and being used by some people.
After studying the routes and traction signed by Northern drivers and guards I have come to the conclusion that Southport - Manchester Airport is the optimal service to provide, even if purely for operational convenience. There aren’t any depots that sign the whole route from Southport to Alderley Edge, necessitating a sub-optimal crew change at Oxford Road which isn’t something you really want to be doing on the corridor.
Most Sandgrounders and West Lancastrians would choose Liverpool airport - cheaper flights and far less of a long-term issue with security queues. And they'd likely drive or take a taxi due to the typically antisocial times at which low cost carriers depart from and arrive back to their bases. I would agree the Airport is not an important destination for Southport. Castlefield is - most significantly Oxford Road which is a fair way from the tram* - but not the Airport.

It's also not, to be fair, a particularly important destination for the TPE Scottish services either. If you wanted to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow you'd not fly to Manchester. The Lakes is maybe a side-trade there, but many would just go for the direct Northern services to Windermere even if it involved a bit of waiting around.
The problem with both of these is that Manchester Airport has a much wider range of destinations, second only to Heathrow, than either Liverpool or any airports in Scotland, so if you want to fly somewhere specific from either Southport, West Lancs or Scotland, your options are limited to Manchester.

The other issue is that if Castlefield services are required for Southport, they also require somewhere to go to reverse. Most Castlefield services go to the airport, with only one to Hazel Grove, one to Alderley Edge, one to Crewe and one to Sheffield. Of these, Sheffield isn’t an option, but Alderley Edge is the worst possible option operationally and Crewe would be even worse. There are staff who sign all the way from Southport to Hazel Grove and if you were running 769s to Hazel Grove it would be worth running a through Southport - Buxton service on electric Bolton - Hazel Grove and I would use it if there was, but I doubt many others would, so the best option is therefore the airport which doesn’t have any particular issues. Even the all stops airport service would be suitable for 769s on electric.
As pointed out the North West - South East connection through Greater Manchester has been historical.

Of course changing trains at Piccadilly isn't the end of the world, but it does disconnect a long standing link.

I work the whole route from Blackpool to Hazel Grove and many use it to get from Bolton to Stockport, with the Alderley Edge service supplementing it.

It'll be a loss unfortunately but that's life for timetable resilience.
I will expect both Southport - Manchester Airport and Blackpool North - Hazel Grove to return in a future timetable.

Do you also sign Bolton - Southport and Slade Lane - The Airport, but not Stockport - Alderley Edge or Hazel Grove - Buxton?
the other Southport tweak (i.e. moving both services to half hourly clockface to Vic via Atherton so most of it is diesel only) would require the Kirkby/Headbolt Lane to become a shuttle or be taken over by Merseyrail, or Atherton to be upped from 2 to 4tph which I doubt could be pathed, or a rather uneven 15-30 minute gap on the Athertons.
The Southport service can’t be clockface half hourly because of the 7+ mile long absolute block section from ML148 (short of Meols Cop) to Burscough Bridge. This would leave no spare path for an RHTT, engineering or emergencies etc and then you have to fit the Kirkby through Wallgate.

Which is why I propose a clockface half hourly Bolton - Manchester Airport with non-clockface half hourly Southport - Bolton and equally non-clockface Blackpool North - Bolton.
Plus more TPE bimodes on electric through the area.
Stalybridge was the terminus for the Chat Moss stopper, once upon a time, but they don't even serve Victoria these days, except in the peak.
TPE benefit from Stalybridge electrification but not Wigan.

When I was stuck on a Chat Moss service that didn’t stop at Deansgate because of signalling problems at Oxford Road and they wouldn’t let anyone off, people were complaining that it used to be a train that just went to Victoria without any of these problems, so I doubt there would be much opposition to the return of Chat Moss - Stalybridge with EMUs either. Most Chat Moss stations don’t currently have a choice of Castlefield or Victoria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem with both of these is that Manchester Airport has a much wider range of destinations, second only to Heathrow, than either Liverpool or any airports in Scotland, so if you want to fly somewhere specific from either Southport, West Lancs or Scotland, your options are limited to Manchester.

I wouldn't agree with regard to Scotland. If Glasgow/Edinburgh didn't offer the destination you wanted, you'd be much more likely to book a connecting flight via Heathrow or even another European major interchange such as Paris or Amsterdam. Bringing trains into it carries a lot of risk of missed flights and associated "claiming off travel insurance" faff.

For West Lancs maybe, but most likely they will go there by car, taxi or dedicated "airport taxi" type service, again due to the resilience issue and unsocial hours of many flights from airline bases. Some people will no doubt go from the stations between Southport and Wigan and Manchester Airport for a flight, but they will be relatively few in number. Most are just going to Manchester.

The Southport service can’t be clockface half hourly because of the 7+ mile long absolute block section from ML148 (short of Meols Cop) to Burscough Bridge. This would leave no spare path for an RHTT, engineering or emergencies etc and then you have to fit the Kirkby through Wallgate.

Ah, didn't know that. Presumably you can though go for one fast, one slow with them aligning to half-hourly by Wigan? Or does that more shout in favour of the idea of having 3tph at 20 minute intervals on Atherton of which 2 are Southports and one Kirkby and the fast/slow evens them out by Southport?

When I was stuck on a Chat Moss service that didn’t stop at Deansgate because of signalling problems at Oxford Road and they wouldn’t let anyone off, people were complaining that it used to be a train that just went to Victoria without any of these problems, so I doubt there would be much opposition to the return of Chat Moss - Stalybridge with EMUs either. Most Chat Moss stations don’t currently have a choice of Castlefield or Victoria.

Moving Chat Moss to Castlefield was a bit odd, because that has always gone to Vic - it seemed to be breaking established* travel patterns *and* cramming in an extra Castlefield service for no good reason whatsoever. It would have made more sense to enhance capacity to Liverpool on the CLC e.g. by running 6-car 195 formations.

* Established for over a hundred years - so not even post-Windsor Link established as per Southport-Castlefield.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
After studying the routes and traction signed by Northern drivers and guards I have come to the conclusion that Southport - Manchester Airport is the optimal service to provide, even if purely for operational convenience. There aren’t any depots that sign the whole route from Southport to Alderley Edge, necessitating a sub-optimal crew change at Oxford Road which isn’t something you really want to be doing on the corridor.
Operationally, it would be much more convenient for the service to run to Victoria (possibly beyond to Stalybridge/Rochdale but that is a secondary issue). The route to Victoria is signed by all Northern traincrew who sign to Southport.

I agree that the elimination of traincrew changes in the Castlefield corridor (at least on through services) should have been a far higher priority. But unfortunately it ended up being (and was always going to be) an exercise in political wrangling, rather than providing the best service that the railway can sensibly and reliably offer.

Even the all stops airport service would be suitable for 769s on electric.
Theoretically yes, but you'd have to allow for increased SRTs which would muck up the plan. Bear in mind the 769s are also a bit slower than the 319s, and that's on top of the standing instruction to start away either stock in the snail-like notch 1 and then 2, due to "traction motor burnout" :s

I will expect both Southport - Manchester Airport and Blackpool North - Hazel Grove to return in a future timetable.
You can expect it as much as you want, but this is the timetable that's going to be in place, plus or minus some very minor changes, for the foreseeable future. The government seems to have no interest whatsoever in taking a look at the Castlefield TWAO application submitted back in 2014... No doubt if a response is ever forthcoming, it will say "it's too expensive" or "we need to reassess the benefits" or somesuch nonsense.

Yes it can. Meols Cop to Burscough Bridge is 11 minutes from depart to depart (on standard Sprinter timings), add on your standard 2 mins for AB working and you have an effective 13 minute headway. Certainly high, but you could (just about) run a quarter hourly service with that. As there is only ever a half hourly service, it leaves plenty of capacity for RHTTs and catching up from disruption. There are undoubtedly constraints, but this isn't one of them.

Established Member
I wouldn't agree with regard to Scotland. If Glasgow/Edinburgh didn't offer the destination you wanted, you'd be much more likely to book a connecting flight via Heathrow or even another European major interchange such as Paris or Amsterdam. Bringing trains into it carries a lot of risk of missed flights and associated "claiming off travel insurance" faff.

For West Lancs maybe, but most likely they will go there by car, taxi or dedicated "airport taxi" type service, again due to the resilience issue and unsocial hours of many flights from airline bases. Some people will no doubt go from the stations between Southport and Wigan and Manchester Airport for a flight, but they will be relatively few in number. Most are just going to Manchester.
Are connecting flights via Heathrow, Paris, Germany etc not just as likely to cause missed connections as trains? There are several airport transfer type taxi services to be found in West Lancs but these can cost in excess of £100 return. On the train it is £20.90 Southport - Manchester Airport without a railcard which can beat taxis on cost even with a family.

The nature of Airport traffic on the railway is that not all passengers go to the airport every day, so you will only get Airport and Styal line passengers on the airport leg. Anyone requiring the airport immediately from Piccadilly can change for the next airport service and operationally it makes sense to run one from Southport. I also remember a woman at Southport recently who was struggling to work out how to get back to Heald Green.
Ah, didn't know that. Presumably you can though go for one fast, one slow with them aligning to half-hourly by Wigan? Or does that more shout in favour of the idea of having 3tph at 20 minute intervals on Atherton of which 2 are Southports and one Kirkby and the fast/slow evens them out by Southport?
Missing out stops between Southport and Wigan upsets residents of West Lancashire too much for little benefit. Certainly 3tph through Wigan Wallgate with 2 from Southport and 1 from Kirkby, diverging in whatever way at Crow Nest Junction and another from North Western though.
Moving Chat Moss to Castlefield was a bit odd, because that has always gone to Vic - it seemed to be breaking established* travel patterns *and* cramming in an extra Castlefield service for no good reason whatsoever. It would have made more sense to enhance capacity to Liverpool on the CLC e.g. by running 6-car 195 formations.

* Established for over a hundred years - so not even post-Windsor Link established as per Southport-Castlefield.
It was only an issue of not being able to terminate services at Victoria as opposed to Stalybridge and the lack of electrified destinations to send trains to beyond Victoria after Stalybridge was descoped. The electrification really should have been completed in full because of all the problems it has caused.

Chat Moss of course doesn’t use the Windsor Link although it has to share capacity with it.
Operationally, it would be much more convenient for the service to run to Victoria (possibly beyond to Stalybridge/Rochdale but that is a secondary issue). The route to Victoria is signed by all Northern traincrew who sign to Southport.

I agree that the elimination of traincrew changes in the Castlefield corridor (at least on through services) should have been a far higher priority. But unfortunately it ended up being (and was always going to be) an exercise in political wrangling, rather than providing the best service that the railway can sensibly and reliably offer.
Operationally, given the requirement based on passenger surveys for a Castlefield service from Southport, it is most optimal for this run to the airport beyond Castlefield compared to the alternatives of Alderley Edge, Hazel Grove etc, in addition to a service beyond Rochdale from Victoria, which presently makes crossing movements to run to Stalybridge.

Changing train crew for terminating services at Oxford Road makes sense, but terminating services at Oxford Road themselves don’t, given the need to foul all lines to reverse. The problem is you can’t just run a 100% reliable service if the range of destinations makes it useless to passengers.
Theoretically yes, but you'd have to allow for increased SRTs which would muck up the plan. Bear in mind the 769s are also a bit slower than the 319s, and that's on top of the standing instruction to start away either stock in the snail-like notch 1 and then 2, due to "traction motor burnout" :s
I’m sure a traction motor exploded during a test on a GWR 769 due to it not being driven like this. Who would have thought that being driven hard on Thameslink duties for 30 years would wear out a train in such a way?

I don’t actually like either of them but if 319s currently run a service, 769s on electric may be just about suitable. They may have been suitable for Lime Street - Stalybridge if they were ready sooner and more reliable.
You can expect it as much as you want, but this is the timetable that's going to be in place, plus or minus some very minor changes, for the foreseeable future. The government seems to have no interest whatsoever in taking a look at the Castlefield TWAO application submitted back in 2014... No doubt if a response is ever forthcoming, it will say "it's too expensive" or "we need to reassess the benefits" or somesuch nonsense.
I certainly will be expecting it. I am aware what the timetable for the foreseeable future will be, but the last few timetables from the last few years haven’t lasted particularly long have they. Not that long ago the only timetables in place for the foreseeable future were Covid ones with no passengers. I don’t know how many times the government needs reminding that they can build as many Crossrails as they like across London, but Castlefield still needs to be 4 tracks throughout.
Yes it can. Meols Cop to Burscough Bridge is 11 minutes from depart to depart (on standard Sprinter timings), add on your standard 2 mins for AB working and you have an effective 13 minute headway. Certainly high, but you could (just about) run a quarter hourly service with that. As there is only ever a half hourly service, it leaves plenty of capacity for RHTTs and catching up from disruption. There are undoubtedly constraints, but this isn't one of them.
That may be true, but it isn’t Meols Cop - Burscough Bridge because the signal isn’t at Meols Cop, so you need to add a low speed arrival and dwell at Meols Cop to that total. Then add another couple of minutes each for Bescar Lane and New Lane every 2 hours and the headway approaches 20 minutes. You could run a clockface half hourly service, but nothing else in between without severely disrupting the service and then you still have the issue of a path for the Kirkby.

It is evident when a late arrival from Alderley Edge has to go straight back out in front of a Stalybridge just how much it is delayed by this signalling arrangement. If the ML148 signal was just a few feet further up at the end of the platform at Meols Cop, the whole thing would be much more resilient, with as you say the possibility of a very tight 4tph.

pemma

Veteran Member
I have come to the conclusion that Southport - Manchester Airport is the optimal service to provide, even if purely for operational convenience.

But for operational convenience they also need to reduce the number of services to the airport. I'm sure some people would like the Liverpool to Oxford Road stopper extended to the airport too. Why does Burscough Bridge need a service extended beyond Oxford Road, when Padgate doesn't?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are connecting flights via Heathrow, Paris, Germany etc not just as likely to cause missed connections as trains? There are several airport transfer type taxi services to be found in West Lancs but these can cost in excess of £100 return. On the train it is £20.90 Southport - Manchester Airport without a railcard which can beat taxis on cost even with a family.

It's not only cost that will be considered. It's likelihood of a problem. If you buy a connectional flight on a through ticket, you are protected - they must rebook you on the next available flight and accommodate you in a hotel, with meals paid for, until that flight.

I grew up in West Lancs and the rest of my family still lives there, and I know for a fact that they do not even consider the train to get to Manchester or Liverpool Airport for a flight. It's either drive, be dropped off, or taxi.

But for operational convenience they also need to reduce the number of services to the airport. I'm sure some people would like the Liverpool to Oxford Road stopper extended to the airport too. Why does Burscough Bridge need a service extended beyond Oxford Road, when Padgate doesn't?

The Airport is fairly moot for those services. It's Piccadilly people want.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Laughingly described as route improvements. It appears as though the Preston - Man Vic is never returning and no more direct Preston - Stockport services.
The DfT put the timetable proposals out to a well publicised public consultation in January 2021, and a number of changes were made in response to the comments received. However, from the consultation response document it does not appear that there were a significant number of objections to the loss of direct services between Preston and either Victoria or Stockport.

It should be noted that there will be a half hourly TPE/EMR service between Oxford Road and Stockport, with a same platform change at Piccadilly P13/14 to/from the frequent Preston services. And 3tph between Bolton and Victoria (Clitheroe/Blackburn/Southport), again with a same platform change to/from the 4tph Preston services.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Operationally, given the requirement based on passenger surveys for a Castlefield service from Southport, it is most optimal for this run to the airport beyond Castlefield compared to the alternatives of Alderley Edge, Hazel Grove etc, in addition to a service beyond Rochdale from Victoria, which presently makes crossing movements to run to Stalybridge.
I know you keep repeating this, but it's ultimately still a preference. It was a political decision to mess up the MRTF structure to accommodate it.

People would still use the train even if it did not quite go where they wanted. It would just be less convenient. That's life; we'd all love to have direct trains to where we're going!

Changing train crew for terminating services at Oxford Road makes sense, but terminating services at Oxford Road themselves don’t, given the need to foul all lines to reverse.
Agreed, which is why Southport services should either run all the way through to the Airport or, as is far more sensible, run to Victoria.

The problem is you can’t just run a 100% reliable service if the range of destinations makes it useless to passengers.
The railway can't cater to all of its potential markets. It tried to be all things to all people with the pre-Covid timetable, but miserably failed. Resolving that means letting down some people and that's what MRTF was about.

Unfortunately political meddling means that the users of the Southport line have kept their service, despite the huge opportunity cost which this carries.

I’m sure a traction motor exploded during a test on a GWR 769 due to it not being driven like this. Who would have thought that being driven hard on Thameslink duties for 30 years would wear out a train in such a way?
Plenty of older trains are reliable. This is about the maintenance of the traction motors being inadequate; really the trains should have been retractioned or completely overhauled. Of course they'll be fine if treated gently, but the amount of sub-threshold delays which accumulate as a result of this policy are unbelievable. It's no way to run a railway.

I don’t actually like either of them but if 319s currently run a service, 769s on electric may be just about suitable. They may have been suitable for Lime Street - Stalybridge if they were ready sooner and more reliable.
They're not really suitable for many routes and with any luck, they will be replaced by more suitable traction once the 323s cascade from the West Midlands.

I certainly will be expecting it. I am aware what the timetable for the foreseeable future will be, but the last few timetables from the last few years haven’t lasted particularly long have they. Not that long ago the only timetables in place for the foreseeable future were Covid ones with no passengers.
The difference is that these Covid timetables have been instituted on a sixpence, whereas the MRTF timetable has gone through a considerable development and consultation period.

I don’t know how many times the government needs reminding that they can build as many Crossrails as they like across London, but Castlefield still needs to be 4 tracks throughout.
I don't think it's a north vs south issue, it's just that the government sees little value in infrastructure. It would rather get a few 'good news stories' by bunging hopeless reopening studies a bit of cash, than taking advantage of quick wins, or spending money where it'll truly make a difference.

That may be true, but it isn’t Meols Cop - Burscough Bridge because the signal isn’t at Meols Cop, so you need to add a low speed arrival and dwell at Meols Cop to that total. Then add another couple of minutes each for Bescar Lane and New Lane every 2 hours and the headway approaches 20 minutes.
Well that's the 'model' used for timetabling purposes. I agree it's not entirely accurate, but then there is some leeway in the rules anyway.

13 minutes was including Bescar Lane and New Lane, i.e. worst case scenario. It's 8 minutes without those stops.

You could run a clockface half hourly service, but nothing else in between without severely disrupting the service and then you still have the issue of a path for the Kirkby.
You could theoretically run a clockface quarter hourly service over that section. Parbold to Wallgate is actually the longer section. Either way it's a non-issue; the constraints come from elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If connections are good it's probably hard to object given that simple routes and simple diagrams (we hope!) will make the service much more reliable. The complex interworking of Northern services in some ways probably caused more problems than the overcramming of Castlefield itself - if a given unit/crew only do one route on a given day, then it's a lot easier to untwist even a very bad mess by cancelling round trips if you have somewhere to keep the unit - hence why Merseyrail would very rarely see long delays - and it was this that made the pre-COVID LNR timetable so unworkable, too.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Airport is fairly moot for those services. It's Piccadilly people want.

Piccadilly's a nice easy walk from Market Street but then so is Victoria, you just need to go in the other direction. These days there's a lot of night time venues where the closest station is either Oxford Road or Victoria and it's the same with offices. Piccadilly's the best for interchanges but if you're travelling through Preston or Wigan to get there, then you can probably change elsewhere for most journeys.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Piccadilly's a nice easy walk from Market Street but then so is Victoria, you just need to go in the other direction. These days there's a lot of night time venues where the closest station is either Oxford Road or Victoria and it's the same with offices. Piccadilly's the best for interchanges but if you're travelling through Preston or Wigan to get there, then you can probably change elsewhere for most journeys.

Oxford Road is the only one that is convenient for reaching the uni, to be fair. I suppose Manchester city centre has moved north a bit - if Vic wasn't such an utter dump I'd mind less! :)

pemma

Veteran Member
Oxford Road is the only one that is convenient for reaching the uni, to be fair.

When the 147 bus operated from Piccadilly to the university and hospitals it offered very cheap fares for students and NHS staff and there was a bus every 10 minutes, so I don't think anyone minded arriving at Piccadilly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When the 147 bus operated from Piccadilly to the university and hospitals it offered very cheap fares for students and NHS staff and there was a bus every 10 minutes, so I don't think anyone minded arriving at Piccadilly.

True, I was more saying that Victoria is very poor for reaching the uni - by moving the Southport to Vic you extend the journey of anyone going there by 20-30 minutes.

If there were trams down Oxford Road it'd be fine, but TfGM/GMPTE never seem to have been willing to properly address the Oxford/Wilmslow Road corridor transport issues, preferring to leave it to (mostly) Stagecoach so it doesn't cost them anything.

Established Member
For trips as occasional as those to the airport, Padgate is perhaps close enough to Warrington Central and Birchwood which do have a service to the airport, while Burscough Bridge isn’t. Burscough Bridge is quite a busy station and people from Ormskirk certainly travel there for connections to Manchester and the airport. Irlam is perhaps a more comparable station to Burscough Bridge.
It's not only cost that will be considered. It's likelihood of a problem. If you buy a connectional flight on a through ticket, you are protected - they must rebook you on the next available flight and accommodate you in a hotel, with meals paid for, until that flight.

I grew up in West Lancs and the rest of my family still lives there, and I know for a fact that they do not even consider the train to get to Manchester or Liverpool Airport for a flight. It's either drive, be dropped off, or taxi.
Whether in your own car, someone else’s or a taxi, all it takes is a truck to crash to close the road, which then of course incurs a risk of missing your flight. A connecting through flight ticket might avoid the risks of anything happening on the roads or the railway, but splitting flights into 2 is very inefficient.

I went on several flights in 2019 but haven’t been on one since and have been to Manchester Airport in taxis several times, including on my own, but I am seriously considering using the train for my next flight despite the risk of disruption on the way to Manchester or on the Styal line because I fail to see the point of paying for an airport taxi transfer when the cost of one exceeds the value of the flight. What was absolutely never considered in my family was parking our own car in a long stay car park.
It should be noted that there will be a half hourly TPE/EMR service between Oxford Road and Stockport, with a same platform change at Piccadilly P13/14 to/from the frequent Preston services. And 3tph between Bolton and Victoria (Clitheroe/Blackburn/Southport), again with a same platform change to/from the 4tph Preston services.
Blackburn and Clitheroe are the same service.
I know you keep repeating this, but it's ultimately still a preference. It was a political decision to mess up the MRTF structure to accommodate it.

People would still use the train even if it did not quite go where they wanted. It would just be less convenient. That's life; we'd all love to have direct trains to where we're going!
I have heard this before but I still fail to see how a well used Southport service which has been part of the Castlefield timetable since 1988 is messing it up, or how Piccadilly is far enough away to warrant having to change.
Agreed, which is why Southport services should either run all the way through to the Airport or, as is far more sensible, run to Victoria.
So you agree that one should run to Victoria and out of passenger demand for a service to Piccadilly, the other should run to the airport since it represents a better option operationally than Hazel Grove or Alderley Edge.
The railway can't cater to all of its potential markets. It tried to be all things to all people with the pre-Covid timetable, but miserably failed. Resolving that means letting down some people and that's what MRTF was about.

Unfortunately political meddling means that the users of the Southport line have kept their service, despite the huge opportunity cost which this carries.
What opportunity cost? Passengers from Southport and West Lancashire continue to have the opportunity to travel to Deansgate and Oxford Road although not Piccadilly or connections, which would have been lost under the original MRTF “minus” plans. If the “political meddling” of OPSTA has to dedicate all of its resources just to keeping what service has already been there for years, it will never be able to get to the point of reopening the Burscough Curves for direct services to Ormskirk, Preston, Blackburn or Skipton.
Plenty of older trains are reliable. This is about the maintenance of the traction motors being inadequate; really the trains should have been retractioned or completely overhauled. Of course they'll be fine if treated gently, but the amount of sub-threshold delays which accumulate as a result of this policy are unbelievable. It's no way to run a railway.
I don’t think they were particularly good when new. The build quality of EMUs had certainly gone downhill since the PEPs were built pre-Thatcher. 319s were probably the worst choice of old EMUs to run. 365s would have been infinitely better, but unfortunately it was 319s that had enough unpowered trailers to accommodate the Diesel generator equipment. Drivers routinely complain about them causing delays whether running on Diesel or not.
They're not really suitable for many routes and with any luck, they will be replaced by more suitable traction once the 323s cascade from the West Midlands.
I’m not sure the 769s are suitable at all because of their unsuitable interior without bike spaces, but unfortunately they are the only bi-modes in the Northern fleet and by the nature of its many services on partially electrified routes, 323s are no substitute.
The difference is that these Covid timetables have been instituted on a sixpence, whereas the MRTF timetable has gone through a considerable development and consultation period.
And yet this consultation has still produced a timetable which is unsatisfactory, despite being generally better than the current one and it will be made obsolete quickly by additional electrification, initially to Stalybridge, which is also currently in development.
I don't think it's a north vs south issue, it's just that the government sees little value in infrastructure. It would rather get a few 'good news stories' by bunging hopeless reopening studies a bit of cash, than taking advantage of quick wins, or spending money where it'll truly make a difference.
Will Crossrail be truly transformational? What about Crossrail 2 or 3? London’s transport system is crowded but I wouldn’t call it dysfunctional in the same way as Castlefield. A tunnel half the length in Manchester might easily make twice as much difference than in London where it is effectively just more of the same.
Well that's the 'model' used for timetabling purposes. I agree it's not entirely accurate, but then there is some leeway in the rules anyway.

13 minutes was including Bescar Lane and New Lane, i.e. worst case scenario. It's 8 minutes without those stops.
There’s no way it’s 8 minutes from Meols Cop to Burscough Bridge. I know it’s fast but it must take longer than that to get from Southport to Meols Cop.
You could theoretically run a clockface quarter hourly service over that section. Parbold to Wallgate is actually the longer section. Either way it's a non-issue; the constraints come from elsewhere.
Is there really nothing all the way from Parbold to Wallgate? ML148 to Burscough Bridge is the one I’ve seen issues with.
If connections are good it's probably hard to object given that simple routes and simple diagrams (we hope!) will make the service much more reliable. The complex interworking of Northern services in some ways probably caused more problems than the overcramming of Castlefield itself - if a given unit/crew only do one route on a given day, then it's a lot easier to untwist even a very bad mess by cancelling round trips if you have somewhere to keep the unit - hence why Merseyrail would very rarely see long delays - and it was this that made the pre-COVID LNR timetable so unworkable, too.
Merseyrail don’t tend to cancel round trips. They run fast to the other end of the line omitting most stations, but never Birkdale because the signalling system is incapable of giving a clear run through it. There should really be a fixed distant board but there isn’t.
Piccadilly and Victoria are both walkable from Market Street but the walk to Victoria is probably “nicer” since the walk to Piccadilly is uphill and the walk to Victoria is downhill, for destinations only accessible from one or the other you have to go to the right one but for when you have a choice you just go to whichever one has the next train.

When I’ve spoken to people on the train in Manchester half of them say they’ve never actually found Oxford Road station in the city centre because it’s not logically where you’d expect it to be. You can see Deansgate from right at the other end of Deansgate but it’s a long walk and a lot of people prefer to get off there because it’s quieter, with good connections on the Metrolink and is close to several destinations, so it’s a shame not all trains stop there.
Oxford Road is the only one that is convenient for reaching the uni, to be fair. I suppose Manchester city centre has moved north a bit - if Vic wasn't such an utter dump I'd mind less! :)
The uni is where Oxford Road is. It’s only really worth getting off there if you want the uni, aquatics centre or MRI/RMCH or anything else which is actually on Oxford Road itself.
True, I was more saying that Victoria is very poor for reaching the uni - by moving the Southport to Vic you extend the journey of anyone going there by 20-30 minutes.

If there were trams down Oxford Road it'd be fine, but TfGM/GMPTE never seem to have been willing to properly address the Oxford/Wilmslow Road corridor transport issues, preferring to leave it to (mostly) Stagecoach so it doesn't cost them anything.
That Victoria/Oxford Road issue should apply to anywhere so by extending the Blackburn - Todmorden - Victoria around the Ordsall Chord wouldn’t you cut the journey time of anyone going there by 20-30 minutes?

The First V1 and V2 buses are about the best that go down Oxford Road. Much better than any of the Magic Bus rubbish Stagecoach send down there but the electric ones are alright.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It should also be noted the North West and the Manchester area in particular have an excellent motorway network. Trains don't go to where I want to go? No problem, I'll drive.

Established Member
It should also be noted the North West and the Manchester area in particular have an excellent motorway network. Trains don't go to where I want to go? No problem, I'll drive.
I especially don’t think the railway in its current form is much competition for the M66!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Since they have been withdrawn Leyland - Preston has reduced from 3 tph to 2 and both in the Preston direction are at the same time so it is effectively 1 tph. And there are plenty of passengers who travel from Leyland - Preston, or there used to be until the reduction in services and now the car park is half empty.
The return trains are only 5-10 minutes apart too. It's not even a full 2tph all day either with random gaps in the Liverpool services. The buses to and from Preston are definitely busier than when we had a respectable rail service. The Hazel Groves not stopping at Leyland is a joke too.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have heard this before but I still fail to see how a well used Southport service which has been part of the Castlefield timetable since 1988 is messing it up
The fact that a service is long-established does not make it immune to change. It's painful, but trade-offs are inevitable when rewriting a timetable; if you constrain yourself to matching all of the existing connectivity, you will just deliver a rehashed version of what stands.

or how Piccadilly is far enough away to warrant having to change.
Yet funnily enough the likes of Flixton and Padgate, despite being much closer to Piccadilly, lack a direct service and have no prospect of gaining one. Distance to Piccadilly is hardly a factor in whether somewhere warrants a direct service.

So you agree that one should run to Victoria and out of passenger demand for a service to Piccadilly, the other should run to the airport since it represents a better option operationally than Hazel Grove or Alderley Edge.
I agree that if a service is to run down the Castlefield corridor, terminating at Oxford Road makes no sense and if anything, is likely to cause more delays and disruption than continuing through the corridor.

But I don't think a Southport service justifies a valuable Castlefield path in the first place, and accordingly services should run to Victoria and beyond instead.

What opportunity cost? Passengers from Southport and West Lancashire continue to have the opportunity to travel to Deansgate and Oxford Road although not Piccadilly or connections, which would have been lost under the original MRTF “minus” plans.
The opportunity cost means the alternative services which could otherwise run - the MRTF consultation outcome was clear that the eastern side of the CLC is losing its second stopper, and having stops added to "fast" trains, because of the Southport service going to Oxford Rd.

It also refers to the unreliability and reduction in 'slack' which the presence of an additional train will cause; MRTF should have involved an increase in the headway and/or platform reoccupation values, as they are presently deficient and are a major contributing factor to the general unreliability of the corridor. But with the number of trains still running and their relative stops and timings, this is impossible. So the next best thing is taking out services; here it's the CLC which (quite avoidably) loses out.

If the “political meddling” of OPSTA has to dedicate all of its resources just to keeping what service has already been there for years, it will never be able to get to the point of reopening the Burscough Curves for direct services to Ormskirk, Preston, Blackburn or Skipton.
You can forget about the Burscough Curves. As for direct trains to Skipton, those wouldn't happen even if the Curves existed today. This is probably the greatest influence OPSTA will ever wield. Funny how they are happy for Preston to be let down as long as Southport is OK!

And yet this consultation has still produced a timetable which is unsatisfactory, despite being generally better than the current one and it will be made obsolete quickly by additional electrification, initially to Stalybridge, which is also currently in development.
It was always going to be unsatisfactory and disappoint people - that's the reality of the current infrastructure. As I say, minor changes might be made e.g. when electrification is completed, but it is going to stay unchanged unless and until investment is forthcoming for Castlefield.

Will Crossrail be truly transformational? What about Crossrail 2 or 3? London’s transport system is crowded but I wouldn’t call it dysfunctional in the same way as Castlefield. A tunnel half the length in Manchester might easily make twice as much difference than in London where it is effectively just more of the same.
Once fully open, Crossrail will impact probably as many people as travel through Castlefield each day, if not more. London's transport system has its own issues (particularly overcrowding, which has only slightly lessened thanks to a reduction in passenger volumes) and again, it's not a competition for who's worse off. Crossrail 2 and other London projects have been kicked into touch and TfL is suffering vicious cutbacks.

The government's overall attitude to transport investment is disappointing, regardless of which part of the country you look at.

There’s no way it’s 8 minutes from Meols Cop to Burscough Bridge. I know it’s fast but it must take longer than that to get from Southport to Meols Cop.
Err, yes it is. 7½ start to stop, add on ½ min dwell and you are looking at 8 minutes, i.e. a 10 minute planning headway.

Is there really nothing all the way from Parbold to Wallgate? ML148 to Burscough Bridge is the one I’ve seen issues with.
It's Absolute Block until Wigan Wallgate, yes. See this signalling diagram (yes, it's a simulation but it's pretty accurate).

Established Member
The fact that a service is long-established does not make it immune to change. It's painful, but trade-offs are inevitable when rewriting a timetable; if you constrain yourself to matching all of the existing connectivity, you will just deliver a rehashed version of what stands.
I don’t think immunity is what’s required, but the inevitable trade-off seems to be between a rehashed version of what stands based on long-established constraints on service patterns, or an otherwise hashed up version not based on them which is then unfamiliar and breaks people’s existing journeys while providing little of the required improvement!
Yet funnily enough the likes of Flixton and Padgate, despite being much closer to Piccadilly, lack a direct service and have no prospect of gaining one. Distance to Piccadilly is hardly a factor in whether somewhere warrants a direct service.
If you ask me there needs to be some sort of rationalisation of stations on the CLC line east of Birchwood because too many have been opened too close together over successive decades making the all stops journey time on a 150/156 too long. The only one I can see certainly must remain is Irlam. The least important Man Utd platform has fortunately gone, with its limited role more than fulfilled by several stops on the Metrolink on multiple lines.

I also believe the southern route i.e. the CLC is the optimal alignment for Liverpool - Manchester. The ground over Chat Moss is too soft and this imposes a limit on the line speed and the L&Y Kirkby/Atherton was too hilly.
I agree that if a service is to run down the Castlefield corridor, terminating at Oxford Road makes no sense and if anything, is likely to cause more delays and disruption than continuing through the corridor.

But I don't think a Southport service justifies a valuable Castlefield path in the first place, and accordingly services should run to Victoria and beyond instead.
But this applies to all services terminating at Oxford Road, not just Southport. The only thing worse than terminating at Oxford Road would be terminating in P13/14 at Piccadilly and reversing. Oxford Road station genuinely has to be one of the worst pieces of design on the entire railway. The 2nd bay P6 is already abandoned and P1 isn’t far behind.

Whoever decided for them not to be provided as centre turnbacks must have been utterly delusional. The layout of Wigan Wallgate would have been more appropriate, although capacity would still be insufficient without 4 tracks throughout.

I see no reason to believe a Southport service which also (although not exclusively) serves large Greater Manchester population centres of Wigan and Bolton shouldn’t justify a through Castlefield service though.
The opportunity cost means the alternative services which could otherwise run - the MRTF consultation outcome was clear that the eastern side of the CLC is losing its second stopper, and having stops added to "fast" trains, because of the Southport service going to Oxford Rd.

It also refers to the unreliability and reduction in 'slack' which the presence of an additional train will cause; MRTF should have involved an increase in the headway and/or platform reoccupation values, as they are presently deficient and are a major contributing factor to the general unreliability of the corridor. But with the number of trains still running and their relative stops and timings, this is impossible. So the next best thing is taking out services; here it's the CLC which (quite avoidably) loses out.
I don’t agree with anything terminating at Warrington Central or the CLC being anything other than a through line. Has nothing been learnt from the mistakes at Kirkby? I also don’t attribute the lack of a CLC stopper to the continued presence of a Southport, but more to the excessive journey time caused by the number of non-original stations so close together on the CLC, which negatively impact performance. Castlefield Junction is also a sub-optimal arrangement (but aren’t all junctions in Manchester and Salford)

I think a more regular semi-fast approach is better than the one train that misses out too many stations to be useful and too many trains that run all stops, making the end to end journey time unbearable, even compared to the Chat Moss all stops. If the TPE and the EMR provide a half hourly Warrington Central - Sheffield via Castlefield and both serve stations including e.g. Hunts Cross, Birchwood and Irlam and a couple of others each but not all the same ones as each other then I can see the pattern working.

Ideally you would increase the headway through Castlefield but Manchester is simply far enough inland that there are too many important places to the west not to serve and following the closure of Manchester Central no terminal capacity from the west, even with ad hoc termini like at Rochdale, Stalybridge, Hazel Grove and Alderley Edge.
You can forget about the Burscough Curves. As for direct trains to Skipton, those wouldn't happen even if the Curves existed today. This is probably the greatest influence OPSTA will ever wield. Funny how they are happy for Preston to be let down as long as Southport is OK!
I can’t forget about the Burscough Curves. I am reminded of their jarring absence every time I need to travel to Ormskirk or Preston and every time I go between Burscough Bridge and Parbold. I don’t understand why it isn’t done when they would constitute a MUCH easier and cheaper win than any prospective Castlefield improvements which would likely involve a Picc-Vic tunnel and blanket electrification to truly sort things out. By my calculations, the whole scheme could be fully funded with only a one off £100 contribution from each successive regular passenger, which is small enough to be taken out of fare revenue over 20 journeys with tickets priced at £5 or 1 month’s commuting.

If anything, the improvements associated with the Burscough Curves also benefit Preston more than Southport, with direct services to Aughton, Maghull and Aintree as well as access to Southport. I also believe the City of Preston represents the strongest political force in favour of the curves and that it very much desires their reopening in full to be delivered in time for the next Preston Guild.

The direct services from the Burscough Curves onto the Colne - Skipton line are a bit of a fantasy but there wouldn’t be much in the way of them running if both were reopened.
It was always going to be unsatisfactory and disappoint people - that's the reality of the current infrastructure. As I say, minor changes might be made e.g. when electrification is completed, but it is going to stay unchanged unless and until investment is forthcoming for Castlefield.
That really sums it up. As you say, unsatisfactory and deficient infrastructure can simply only yield an unsatisfactory and deficient timetable which doesn’t work for passengers, which is why Castlefield, Manchester and the North in general cannot afford to be devoid of investment.
Once fully open, Crossrail will impact probably as many people as travel through Castlefield each day, if not more. London's transport system has its own issues (particularly overcrowding, which has only slightly lessened thanks to a reduction in passenger volumes) and again, it's not a competition for who's worse off. Crossrail 2 and other London projects have been kicked into touch and TfL is suffering vicious cutbacks.

The government's overall attitude to transport investment is disappointing, regardless of which part of the country you look at.
Is this only because passengers through Castlefield are suppressed by the aforementioned constraints on capacity though. Delays through Castlefield also radiate across the whole north of England and even into Scotland. I doubt that even if the whole Elizabeth Line service completely collapsed even after full integration, that anyone using other services on the GWML or GEML would notice, let alone anywhere else in London.

I used to say that there shouldn’t be another penny spent on transport infrastructure in London until it has been brought up to the same standard in the rest of the country. Then I visited London. You do only have to visit London once to appreciate that if a single train is cancelled on the Underground, even on a 2 minute frequency that overcrowding in the station suddenly becomes dangerous and measures have to be taken to mitigate this. It’s nothing like anywhere else in the country owing to its population density.

Such a policy of cuts to TfL represent little more than an attack on the disabled, with no more step free access to tube stations or level boarding able to be funded, so the only option we really have is to increase transport spending to levels at or exceeding those seen in Western Europe as a bare minimum. Places like Preston or Leeds which only really have long distance rail access and no local or light rail provision really are a problem.

London basically just copes with a new line once in a generation. They had the Victoria, Jubilee, JLE and now they will get Crossrail. Next will probably be the BLE before Crossrail 2 in about 40-50 years. Castlefield still won’t have been touched by then even by 10 different governments.
Err, yes it is. 7½ start to stop, add on ½ min dwell and you are looking at 8 minutes, i.e. a 10 minute planning headway.
I was aware of the journey time from Southport to Burscough Bridge but not Meols Cop. Southport - Meols Cop line speed improvements would cut journey times to Burscough Bridge by about 33%, closer to what they were when they ran via Blowick, so I don’t know why they don’t do that.
It's Absolute Block until Wigan Wallgate, yes. See this signalling diagram (yes, it's a simulation but it's pretty accurate).
That really is barren. I have noticed the semaphores in the Parbold area but didn’t realise how little there was. Why hasn’t the line even received TCB? Liverpool - Southport/Ormskirk got it in 1994. Owing to the timing privatisation might have something to do with it…

The Planner

Veteran Member

Its a bit of a fudge but the current timetable structure doesn't require it to have any more granularity and I doubt anyone has looked at the rules down there for 10 years or more.

As @507020 notes with ML148, if a train is in the Meols Cop to Burscough Bridge section then a train leaving Southport can't ever get a green until the preceding train has left Burscough Bridge, though the 20mph at Southport sort of makes that moot.

Parbold to Wigan Wallgate is planned as AB but it doesn't need to be, the train is out of Parbold's section at the 19 mile post.

pemma

Veteran Member
I went on several flights in 2019 but haven’t been on one since and have been to Manchester Airport in taxis several times, including on my own, but I am seriously considering using the train for my next flight despite the risk of disruption on the way to Manchester or on the Styal line because I fail to see the point of paying for an airport taxi transfer when the cost of one exceeds the value of the flight. What was absolutely never considered in my family was parking our own car in a long stay car park.

Airport taxis are very expensive, especially if you're travelling solo. However, if you're able to fill one the cost might be comparable to the train. The good thing about the Preston to Manchester Airport timetable is it includes very early and late direct trains, meaning if you have a 7am flight departure you can still catch the train. That doesn't apply for some other routes to the airport.

I have heard this before but I still fail to see how a well used Southport service which has been part of the Castlefield timetable since 1988 is messing it up, or how Piccadilly is far enough away to warrant having to change.

In the 90s trains ran from Chester to Southport via Manchester. If you did want to travel from Chester to Southport, that would not have been a sensible way to travel. It always seems the Southport service arriving at Piccadilly has been sent to somewhere that's operationally convenient, rather than somewhere that's to suit the needs of passengers.

Did anyone ever review why Southport services took a path to the airport, while North Wales trains used to shunt around at Piccadilly? My guess is the business case would have always been stronger for Warrington, Runcorn East, Chester and North Wales to have a direct airport service, rather than stations west of Wigan. For one, Warrington and Runcorn have historically had higher unemployment than other towns and are a commutable distance from Manchester Airport.

It’s bonkers even if they sent it hazel grove or the airport it’s still got to go through 13 and 14. It provided a direct service from Stockport and beyond. Manchester airport to preston is already 3tph it didn’t really need another

If you're travelling from Preston to Manchester Airport, you're going to use one of the two fast services, unless you have a cheap Advance ticket. If you're travelling from Blackpool to the airport you'll likely use one of the two direct trains, especially if you have luggage. If you're travelling from Horwich Parkway to the airport you'll likely use one of the two direct trains. Blackrod, Adlington and Layton will only have one train an hour to the airport. Saying they'll be 4tph is like saying there's already 4tph between Liverpool and Manchester via Warrington. They're serving different markets and most of the passengers using the express won't normally switch to the stopper or vice versa.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you ask me there needs to be some sort of rationalisation of stations on the CLC line east of Birchwood because too many have been opened too close together over successive decades making the all stops journey time on a 150/156 too long.

Don't use a 150/156, then. The stopping services would be ideal for 2-car 195s, getting the wretched things out of the way of being put on busier services instead, and the EMU like acceleration would, like the Birmingham Snow Hill lines, allow for significant timetable improvements.

The stations are no closer together than those on many Merseyrail or Metrolink lines. Give them a good service and they'll be well-used.

I'll give you that Glazebrook is a bit pointless, but rather than close it I'd give it a purpose by building a new eco-village centred on it along the Buckshaw Parkway sort of lines.

But this applies to all services terminating at Oxford Road, not just Southport. The only thing worse than terminating at Oxford Road would be terminating in P13/14 at Piccadilly and reversing. Oxford Road station genuinely has to be one of the worst pieces of design on the entire railway. The 2nd bay P6 is already abandoned and P1 isn’t far behind.

Whoever decided for them not to be provided as centre turnbacks must have been utterly delusional.

It wasn't designed to be as it is now, it was designed to be a double-ended terminus, wasn't it? That is, the Altrincham EMUs and CLC DMUs terminated in 4/5, and the other platforms were for whatever went the other way to Picc? Though I must admit to being slightly surprised P3 isn't/wasn't converted to a centre turnback. If they could pack in the crew changes it wouldn't need two platforms in each direction.

It was also set up for a much lower frequency of service, which generally operated reliably (give or take the CLC itself). The Castlefield rot didn't really start until the North Western Trains frequency increases of the 1998 timetable.

I further recall P1 was a later addition (and hardly used now due to lack of lift) - but in the 1990s was often used to terminate the Irlam/Warrington local DMU.

I don’t agree with anything terminating at Warrington Central or the CLC being anything other than a through line. Has nothing been learnt from the mistakes at Kirkby?

Splitting at Warrington would be more like the Kirkby line being Merseyrail to Wigan - i.e. you have a substantial origin/destination at the point they meet. I would be in full support of Merseyrail to Wigan (but not further).

I also don’t attribute the lack of a CLC stopper to the continued presence of a Southport, but more to the excessive journey time caused by the number of non-original stations so close together on the CLC, which negatively impact performance.

They wouldn't with 195s, which are quicker off the mark than some EMUs e.g. 319s. Northern does seem to have realised the benefits of using 195s not on long distance services but on Manchester area diesel stoppers like the Marples, but there needs ot be more of this, at least until wires go up.

I think a more regular semi-fast approach is better than the one train that misses out too many stations to be useful and too many trains that run all stops, making the end to end journey time unbearable, even compared to the Chat Moss all stops. If the TPE and the EMR provide a half hourly Warrington Central - Sheffield via Castlefield and both serve stations including e.g. Hunts Cross, Birchwood and Irlam and a couple of others each but not all the same ones as each other then I can see the pattern working.

I've proposed before the idea of 4tph, of which two call all stations either side of Warrington, if you see what I mean.

For trips as occasional as those to the airport, Padgate is perhaps close enough to Warrington Central and Birchwood which do have a service to the airport, while Burscough Bridge isn’t. Burscough Bridge is quite a busy station and people from Ormskirk certainly travel there for connections to Manchester and the airport. Irlam is perhaps a more comparable station to Burscough Bridge.

Burscough Bridge is very much a "West Lancs Parkway" for going to Manchester for the day. Very few people would consider driving there to park up and take the train to the airport. You simply don't see lots of trolley cases pulled by passengers there.

Whether in your own car, someone else’s or a taxi, all it takes is a truck to crash to close the road, which then of course incurs a risk of missing your flight.

The risk of a problem on Northern is far, far higher than the risk of an accident wholly closing the motorway you are on after you pass the last exit before that accident (thus preventing a re-route). But if that concerns you, you can go up the East Lancs Road instead, it's about the same in journey time terms from West Lancs to Manchester itself because it's more direct than the motorway routes, though obviously the M56 is better for the airport.

Merseyrail don’t tend to cancel round trips. They run fast to the other end of the line omitting most stations

It does seem that there was a change of policy on this when SercoNed took over from Arriva. In Arriva days and before, running "fast" never, ever happened, in my extensive pre-2001 travels I never encountered it even once. It was much more common to cancel a round trip to bring a diagram back on time. On one occasion I encountered a turn-short at Maghull but even that was rare.

I wonder if this change was due to some sort of change in incentivisation in the concession agreement as distinct from the previous franchise.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
The consultation response document I linked in #37 states that it was not considered deliverable for the Southport service to continue through the corridor:
Because this was such an area of focus of the responses, the Task Force
carefully considered alternative service patterns that were suggested by
Southport line stakeholders, such as running to the airport instead of one of
the Blackpool services, which would continue to Hazel Grove instead.
However, such alternatives assume the timing of the trains are
interchangeable (which they are not), would be a significant performance risk
south of Manchester due to increased crossing moves and would undermine
the basis of the improvement, namely to have a broadly repeating pattern of
services every 30 minutes. Therefore, serving Piccadilly and the airport was
not considered deliverable.
The consultation response document does not say that the Southport service has caused the eastern side of the CLC to lose its second stopper. The final Option B+ was derived from the original Option B, which had the second Southport service terminating at Victoria not Oxford Road. But Option B had only one stopper on the eastern side of the CLC in the standard hour, the same as B+.

What the consultation response document actually says is that the cost of adding the Southport service to the corridor is the loss of the opportunity for a peak only through service from Wigan North Western to Hazel Grove via Golborne:
The use of a Castlefield Corridor path for the Southport train means that
the Wigan to Hazel Grove peak only service cannot run. Hazel Grove is
instead served by trains to and from Manchester Piccadilly only.
So the OPSTA "victory" has shafted Wigan commuters.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So the OPSTA "victory" has shafted Wigan commuters.

How many commuters are there from Wigan to past Piccadilly other than Stockport where thirteen trains per hour are available as connections at Piccadilly? It's about the best heavy rail connection in the country outside of Thameslink and Merseyrail.

As I've said I'd support all Southports to Vic if there were properly coordinated connections. There won't be, so I oppose it; the loss of a Wigan to Hazel Grove service is relatively minor.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don’t think immunity is what’s required, but the inevitable trade-off seems to be between a rehashed version of what stands based on long-established constraints on service patterns, or an otherwise hashed up version not based on them which is then unfamiliar and breaks people’s existing journeys while providing little of the required improvement!
This misses the point that the connectivity hitherto provided was at the expense of reliability. And an unreliable timetable is worse than an unambitious but reliable one.

If you ask me there needs to be some sort of rationalisation of stations on the CLC line east of Birchwood because too many have been opened too close together over successive decades making the all stops journey time on a 150/156 too long. The only one I can see certainly must remain is Irlam.
The issue with the eastern side of the CLC is the lack of electrification (which is a longer term issue) as well as the fact that it isn't dedicated to being 195 operated (which could be implemented tomorrow and would allow for considerably faster timings). There is no reason why Blackpool to York services should be 195s when the same sets would provide much greater value being used on the CLC, for example.

The proximity and number of stations is little different to what exists on other urban lines, and is not really the root cause of the problems.

I also believe the southern route i.e. the CLC is the optimal alignment for Liverpool - Manchester. The ground over Chat Moss is too soft and this imposes a limit on the line speed and the L&Y Kirkby/Atherton was too hilly.
It is neither the shortest nor the optimal alignment. Despite the better ground conditions it is slower, by a considerable margin, than the Chat Moss. Even with electrification this is unlikely to change. Nevertheless it still deserves some fast services.

But this applies to all services terminating at Oxford Road, not just Southport. The only thing worse than terminating at Oxford Road would be terminating in P13/14 at Piccadilly and reversing.
Indeed, which is why in my opinion the CLC services should all extend beyond Oxford Road - as a matter of reliability and operational convenience. The CLC services cannot end up anywhere else; the Southport services can, it is just a choice not to send them to Victoria.

Oxford Road station genuinely has to be one of the worst pieces of design on the entire railway. The 2nd bay P6 is already abandoned and P1 isn’t far behind.
Its design is actually good in many ways, but it is hampered by the extension of services beyond 4 coaches (which means that you cannot use platforms 3 and 4, or 1 and 2, simultaneously), as well as the effective abandonment of platform 1 due to its lack of accessibility.

Whoever decided for them not to be provided as centre turnbacks must have been utterly delusional. The layout of Wigan Wallgate would have been more appropriate, although capacity would still be insufficient without 4 tracks throughout.
Not really, they were making the best use of the space available. Wigan Wallgate's layout is no better; there is a conflict when arriving into the bay.

I see no reason to believe a Southport service which also (although not exclusively) serves large Greater Manchester population centres of Wigan and Bolton shouldn’t justify a through Castlefield service though.
Wigan and Bolton each have their own services to Castlefield.

I don’t agree with anything terminating at Warrington Central or the CLC being anything other than a through line. Has nothing been learnt from the mistakes at Kirkby?
I don't see that Kirkby was such a mistake. It allowed the busier part of the line to prosper. Of course it would have been nice for the whole line to be electrified, but then probably none of it would have been done and it would still be a Sprinter service throughout.

I also don’t attribute the lack of a CLC stopper to the continued presence of a Southport, but more to the excessive journey time caused by the number of non-original stations so close together on the CLC, which negatively impact performance.
You are putting the cart before the horse. If you replaced the Southport service with the second CLC stopper, you would have a similar overall level of (un)reliability but would be able to serve the local CLC stations much better, without needing to resort to adding every second shack to the "fast" services.

Castlefield Junction is also a sub-optimal arrangement (but aren’t all junctions in Manchester and Salford)
It's no worse than any other flat junction. Its positioning right next to Deansgate station is actually optimal in some ways (it allows a 1 minute margin from arriving off the CLC to departing towards Water Street Jn).

The TPE and EMR are express services and shouldn't be calling at secondary stations such as Hunts Cross or Irlam. Warrington West and Birchwood are questionable.

Ideally you would increase the headway through Castlefield but Manchester is simply far enough inland that there are too many important places to the west not to serve and following the closure of Manchester Central no terminal capacity from the west, even with ad hoc termini like at Rochdale, Stalybridge, Hazel Grove and Alderley Edge.
The problem isn't the location of Manchester so much as the political desire to serve all flows with direct services. Which is simply impossible.

I can’t forget about the Burscough Curves. I am reminded of their jarring absence every time I need to travel to Ormskirk or Preston and every time I go between Burscough Bridge and Parbold. I don’t understand why it isn’t done when they would constitute a MUCH easier and cheaper win than any prospective Castlefield improvements which would likely involve a Picc-Vic tunnel and blanket electrification to truly sort things out. By my calculations, the whole scheme could be fully funded with only a one off £100 contribution from each successive regular passenger, which is small enough to be taken out of fare revenue over 20 journeys with tickets priced at £5 or 1 month’s commuting.

If anything, the improvements associated with the Burscough Curves also benefit Preston more than Southport, with direct services to Aughton, Maghull and Aintree as well as access to Southport. I also believe the City of Preston represents the strongest political force in favour of the curves and that it very much desires their reopening in full to be delivered in time for the next Preston Guild.

The direct services from the Burscough Curves onto the Colne - Skipton line are a bit of a fantasy but there wouldn’t be much in the way of them running if both were reopened.
Dream on!

Is this only because passengers through Castlefield are suppressed by the aforementioned constraints on capacity though.
Numbers are certainly suppressed but we are talking at least an order of magnitude difference. Canary Wharf LU station alone saw 60m passengers per year pre-Covid; add on all the stations and flows served by Crossrail and you are talking massive numbers. More than the number of passengers by all Manchester Stations combined, I'd have thought.

Delays through Castlefield also radiate across the whole north of England and even into Scotland. I doubt that even if the whole Elizabeth Line service completely collapsed even after full integration, that anyone using other services on the GWML or GEML would notice, let alone anywhere else in London.
Not remotely the case. The Jubilee and Central lines would very quickly get overloaded for example.

That really is barren. I have noticed the semaphores in the Parbold area but didn’t realise how little there was. Why hasn’t the line even received TCB? Liverpool - Southport/Ormskirk got it in 1994. Owing to the timing privatisation might have something to do with it…
Probably because it works and with 2tph, there isn't really any need to upgrade it. If/when it gets TCB I would expect it to be more or less a replica of what exists now, with long sections, as on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line.

However privatisation certainly increased resignalling costs massively.

Greybeard33

Established Member
How many commuters are there from Wigan to past Piccadilly other than Stockport where thirteen trains per hour are available as connections at Piccadilly? It's about the best heavy rail connection in the country outside of Thameslink and Merseyrail.

As I've said I'd support all Southports to Vic if there were properly coordinated connections. There won't be, so I oppose it; the loss of a Wigan to Hazel Grove service is relatively minor.
The point is that Wigan is losing its long established non stop service to Oxford Road and Piccadilly (currently provided by the Northern Cumbria 195s, previously by the TPE Scottish 350s). The only direct service to Oxford Road will be the slower Southport 769 from Wallgate via Bolton. Piccadilly will require a change.

I am sure Wigan to Manchester commuters must be more numerous than those from Southport.

Starmill

Veteran Member
How many commuters are there from Wigan to past Piccadilly other than Stockport where thirteen trains per hour are available as connections at Piccadilly?
You won't be getting from Wigan to Manchester Piccadilly however. Three towards Manchester Victoria, one to Manchester Oxford Road, a fourth peak service from Manchester Victoria.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The point is that Wigan is losing its long established non stop service to Oxford Road and Piccadilly (currently provided by the Northern Cumbria 195s, previously by the TPE Scottish 350s). The only direct service to Oxford Road will be the slower Southport 769 from Wallgate via Bolton. Piccadilly will require a change.

I am sure Wigan to Manchester commuters must be more numerous than those from Southport.

Wasn't that non-stop service only introduced in 2013/14 time when TPE changed from running via Bolton to going via Wigan, previous to that the east facing curve at Lowton was only limited served?

I suspect even with that non-stop service, most Wigan commuters will have used the slower stopping service via Hindley as there was a better chance of getting a seat (or even being able to board)

childwallblues

Established Member
Whilst the Chat Moss electritication was good for Liverpool it meant that we lost most through services to Vidctoria now reduced to just three a day to stalybridge and Huddersfield. At one time there had also been through trains around the Oldham loop, Wakefield Westgate and York via the Calder Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.