• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing address’s to live within 60 minutes of train depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L33mcc

I was just wondering how many of you give a different address in application even if you live half way across the country.

Its a shame that many TOC’s don’t allow relocation. This is a problem I am finding and don’t want to give false address.
I’m sure many do it and get away with it but would just like to know your experiences.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Val3ntine

You will most likely be asked at some stage of the application process for documentation proving you are who you say you are, including bills dated within 3 month at your current address. Or even worse at the very end where you have been successful in getting the role after all the barriers you will have crossed to reach there. Highly inadvisable to have put in all that work for nothing.

4F89

You will most likely be asked at some stage of the application process for documentation proving you are who you say you are, including bills dated within 3 month at your current address. Or even worse at the very end where you have been successful in getting the role after all the barriers you will have crossed to reach there. Highly inadvisable to have put in all that work for nothing.
Agreed, you will be found out.

Being honest is a key requirement on the Railway. If you lie you will be found out at some point.

craigybagel

Established Member
Its a shame that many TOC’s don’t allow relocation. This is a problem I am finding and don’t want to give false address.
It's a shame that so many people in the past promised to move and then failed to do so. Sadly it's hard to blame the companies when they've been burnt so often, especially when it takes a lot of time and money to train up a new recruit. They're the people who have ruined it for others who were more honest.

L33mcc

It's a shame that so many people in the past promised to move and then failed to do so. Sadly it's hard to blame the companies when they've been burnt so often, especially when it takes a lot of time and money to train up a new recruit. They're the people who have ruined it for others who were more honest.
Do you think if I was to reach out and say if were successful I would be happy to get a 3 year tenancy to provide proof that I am keen?

I have a family that I am willing to move away from for a year. If successful with the job they will move with me.

It’s such a shame.

dctraindriver

Do you think if I was to reach out and say if were successful I would be happy to get a 3 year tenancy to provide proof that I am keen?

I have a family that I am willing to move away from for a year. If successful with the job they will move with me.

It’s such a shame.
If you’re in London as your avatar suggests you have access to more TOCS than many others dotted around the country. I’m sure you’ll get a chance soon.

craigybagel

Established Member

It’s such a shame.
Probably not I'm afraid. At the end of the day, the railway has no shortage of applicants for jobs and they can be as strict as they like. I'm not saying it would do your application any harm (it's certainly worth a go!) but I'd be surprised if it changed much.

DunfordBridge

All that would be required is a quick check on 192.com to see if the applicant actually lives at the address specified on the application form. Either that or a check with the credit agencies.

If you’re in London as your avatar suggests you have access to more TOCS than many others dotted around the country. I’m sure you’ll get a chance soon.

London is a strong position although I would have thought it would be time-consuming travelling from one side of London to the other. The North of England seems to be a waste of time for relocation, even the advert for the new EMR depot at Liverpool stipulates 60 minutes travelling time.

craigybagel

Established Member
London is a strong position although I would have thought it would be time-consuming travelling from one side of London to the other. The North of England seems to be a waste of time for relocation, even the advert for the new EMR depot at Liverpool stipulates 60 minutes travelling time.
Although if you lived somewhere like Newton le Willows you'd find yourself within 60 minutes of the depots in:
Liverpool (Avanti, Northern, TPE, EMR, Merseyrail)
Manchester (Avanti, Northern X 2, TPE, XC)
Crewe (TfW, LNWR)
Wigan (Northern)
Chester (TfW)
Preston (Avanti, TPE)
And pretty decent house prices to boot compared to London.....

bouff34

As others have said... prior to start you'll need to provide documentation for the BPSS baseline vetting..... that will include proving your employment for last three years and also stuff like council tax bills etc to prove where you live.

DunfordBridge

Although if you lived somewhere like Newton le Willows you'd find yourself within 60 minutes of the depots in:
Liverpool (Avanti, Northern, TPE, EMR, Merseyrail)
Manchester (Avanti, Northern X 2, TPE, XC)
Crewe (TfW, LNWR)
Wigan (Northern)
Chester (TfW)
Preston (Avanti, TPE)
And pretty decent house prices to boot compared to London.....

Living in Scarborough, I am close to the Scarborough depot and nowhere else. Relocation is the only option for me unless I wish to waste more time waiting for a Scarborough vacancy to turn up.

What would be a useful addition to your excellent sticky thread on Driver Depots is if certain TOCs, such as SWR for example, allow relocation, assuming that the majority do not. Scot Rail is a strange one. Whilst I have never seen geographical limits specified, I have never got anywhere with Scot Rail, so I am left assuming that I live too far away.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A several posters have pointed out providing a false address is not a good idea for all sorts of reasons let alone securing railway employment.

We shall therefore just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.