• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing from PAYG Oyster to contactless bank card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallguy

I am thinking of changing from using PAYG Oyster to using my contactless debit card for travel around London.

I use My Oyster for both business and personal travel, logging in to print off the journey history to claim on my expenses for work purposes.

Would I need to register my bank card on the TFL site to recall the journey history etc and any difference in pricing e.g. do I still get fare capping etc?

Any disadvantages I should be aware of?

Apart from if I lose my bank card I also lose my ticket home but I suppose as I keep my Oyster in a separate pocket to my bank cards, I could keep it as a back up if needed.

All comments welcome! TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
The only downside is that you can't add discount or Travelcard into a contactless bank card.

If you are only using adult rate PAYG, a contactless card is superior to Oyster as it sometimes offers a cheaper cap (outside zones 1-6), it offers weekly capping and it avoids some situations that an Oyster card will be overcharged, such as one single journey from zone 14-1 then multiple zone 1 journeys; changing outside zone 1 between stations for a journey into zone 1 in afternoon peak, etc.

This page is a good start point for info https://oysterfares.com/information-pages/contactless-vs-oyster/

Contactless vs Oyster​

All the publicity surrounding the acceptance of contactless payment cards centres on the fact that both Oyster and CPCs charge the same fares. But do they? Well the answer for single fares is a resounding yes (with one small caveat*), but the methods they use to calculate caps are very different and that can end up with quite different daily totals. Before we get into capping, we’ll start with a brief run-down of the other differences.
  • Oyster cards require a fee whereas CPCs do not.
  • Oyster cards hold a PAYG balance which is reduced every time you travel whereas CPCs charge your account once at the end of each day.
  • Oyster cards can hold travelcards whereas CPCs can not.
  • Oyster cards can have discount entitlement whereas CPCs are only for full-fare adults.
  • You can check Oyster journey history online from the following day for up to 8 weeks, while registered CPCs can access a whole year and you can follow today’s travel with about a 15 minute delay.
And so to capping. Oyster keeps track of the zones used each day and will stop charging when you reach the appropriate cap for the zones used. The size of the cap increases the further out from zone 1 you travel, and either matches or undercuts the price of a one-day travelcard for the same zones. Once you have been charged for a journey on exit the charge remains deducted whatever you do. Each new journey is charged in isolation with only the currently applicable cap able to stop or curtail charges. This was the best system available when Oyster was first introduced where journey details are only transmitted to the central database at the end of each day. There are some drawbacks with this system, particularly where travel from outer zones is only at the beginning of the day with lots of journeys in zone 1 afterwards. Even if you returned to the outer zones at the end you might end up paying more than two singles and a zone 1-2 cap. But the total paid was still no more than the paper travelcard which you would have needed, with the added bonus that if you didn’t use the full travelcard you would only be charged for the journeys.
New from 27/09/2021: The journey history from adult Oyster cards will now go through the same back-end process as the contactless system uses (see below). If there is a small difference found then adjustments will be credited back to the Oyster card. This will happen automatically once there is £1.50 or more to return, or after two weeks. Adjustments will always be in the customers favour, you’ll never be charged more after the event.
Contactless is todays technology and allows us to benefit from significant advances. All touches are transmitted to the central database within 15 minutes, and often quite a bit less. The central system then looks at the journeys made so far and works out the best combination of zonal cap and extension charges. Sometimes this can make quite a difference, particularly if your travel involves stations outside the zonal area. This complex calculation is reworked after every journey so the details of today’s travel will sometimes include very odd fares. And it doesn’t stop at the end of the day either. Journey details for the whole Monday to Sunday week are also examined and an appropriate cap equivalent to the weekly travelcard is applied with extension charges where odd journeys are made outside the regular zones.
With all this flexibility, is there any guarantee? Thankfully yes, you will never be charged more on a daily basis using a CPC than you would using Oyster. So if you can use a CPC then there may be advantages in doing so. The good news is that in the future the Oyster system will change to use the same processing model as CPCs, but at present there are still some significant hurdles to overcome. The other definite is that Oyster cards are not set to be replaced by CPCs, not least because young children can’t have bank cards.
* That small caveat I mentioned at the top. Sometimes a journey can be made in more than one way and TfL have decided not to differenciate between them. If an out of station interchange exists in the middle of the journey it can sometimes lead to a higher fare being charged. When the journey ends Oyster cannot reduce the charge levied at the intermediate point, whereas CPCs look at the whole journey and just charge what the single fare finder says. An example is Crayford to Custom House. One way involves zones 6-3 when you travel via Woolwich Arsenal whereas the other way involves zone 2 around Canary Wharf. Travelling to Custom House you will be charged for a 5 zone journey on touch out at Heron Quays or Canary Wharf DLR. The other way it is only a 2 zone journey at Canary Wharf LU so you are always charged a 4 zone fare at the end at Crayford.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's no need to register a contactless bank card with TfL to be able to use it. 7 days worth of journey history is available via TfL's website, alomst instentaneously (unlike Oyster where you have to wait overnight). if you do register the card then you can get 8 weeks worth of history.

Contactless can be used over a wider area than Oyster (e.g. as far out as Reading and Welwyn Garden City)
A railcard cannot be added to contactless so if you do have a railcard then you should continue to use Oyster
The fares are the same (actually there are a small handful of situations where contactless can be cheaper but we don't need to worry about them here)

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Oystercard you can only go back eight weeks of journey history. Contactless is a lot longer (a year?)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
7 days worth of journey history is available via TfL's website, alomst instentaneously (unlike Oyster where you have to wait overnight).
Not true unless it's changed recently. If the card is registered on the TfL site then you get instantaneous journey history (delayed 5-10 minutes). If it isn't registered then you can only look from the next day.

For registered cards you get 8 weeks history on Oyster and a year on contactless.

If you are only using adult rate PAYG, a contactless card is superior to Oyster as it sometimes offers a cheaper cap (outside zones 1-6)
Not just outside zones 1-6.
it offers weekly capping and it avoids some situations that an Oyster card will be overcharged, such as one single journey from zone 14-1 then multiple zone 1 journeys; changing outside zone 1 between stations for a journey into zone 1 in afternoon peak, etc.
Although now Oyster is run through the back office overnight you will get refunded as long as it's an undiscounted adult Oyster.

Status
Not open for further replies.