• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing the name of a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
A jokey Geoff Marshall suggested on one of his videos changing the name of "Hoscar" to "Oscar" station.

Putting that to one side, what legal loops does a TOC have to go through if it felt necessary to change - or add to (eg parkway) a station name?

Not sure how often it happens, but I would thing it would be quite difficult logistically with all the maps, ticketing machines and what have you, let alone any legal issues which is the main point of my enquiry.

If so, as in the difficulty of closing a line, have we any "Parliamentary" station snames where the original is kept even though it could be more appropriate to have it re-named? Thinking if a large estate has been built near an under-used station, or a station "Teeside Airport" for example simply isn't appropriate now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
or a station "Teeside Airport" for example simply isn't appropriate now?

Teesside Airport is actually more appropriate as a name now. Not because it's any use whatsoever, but because the - kind of - adjacent airport has now changed it's name back to Teesside Airport as well.

Teesside Airport is a good example because I believe there may have been a similar thread in days gone by when the airport changed it's name to Durham Tees Valley and people wondered what the process would be to change the name of the station back then.

Howardh

Established Member
Teesside Airport is actually more appropriate as a name now. Not because it's any use whatsoever, but because the - kind of - adjacent airport has now changed it's name back to Teesside Airport as well.

Teesside Airport is a good example because I believe there may have been a similar thread in days gone by when the airport changed it's name to Durham Tees Valley and people wondered what the process would be to change the name of the station back then.
Thanks, that's the idea of the thread. My station simply added "Parkway" to Lostock, and I wonder how "easy" that was. Saying that there are two Lostocks and becoming Lostock Parkway probably made it easier to discriminate from the other, Lostock Gralham.
But how many have had a complete name change over the last decade or so?

pdeaves

Established Member
There are a few minor tweaks (e.g. Abercynon South became Abercynon when North shut); Smitham became Coulsdon Town (i.e. a totally different name). There are a bunch of industry processes to get through plus, as the original poster said, all the costs of changing publicity, online systems, etc. These costs would typically be borne by whoever wants the name change.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There are a few minor tweaks (e.g. Abercynon South became Abercynon when North shut); Smitham became Coulsdon Town (i.e. a totally different name). There are a bunch of industry processes to get through plus, as the original poster said, all the costs of changing publicity, online systems, etc. These costs would typically be borne by whoever wants the name change.
Bicester Village is the obvious one that springs to mind! IIRC the owners of the retail outlet contributed to the renaming costs.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

it has been sold by Peel back to the local councils which is really good news. Hopefully that will lead to an improvement in air services. The station, however, should have it name changed to : Closed

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There seems to have been an attempt to add "& Totley" back onto Dore, but it doesn't seem consistent across all sources.

Shortly before privatisation what became Midland Mainline stuck a big "Derby Midland" sign on the station that had just been known as Derby for many years before that.

kentuckytony

Thanks, that's the idea of the thread. My station simply added "Parkway" to Lostock, and I wonder how "easy" that was. Saying that there are two Lostocks and becoming Lostock Parkway probably made it easier to discriminate from the other, Lostock Gralham.
I would have preferred "Lostock & Barrel". :D

Bovverboy

Established Member
There seems to have been an attempt to add "& Totley" back onto Dore, but it doesn't seem consistent across all sources.

References to 'Cark' and 'Cark & Cartmel' seem about 50/50 at the moment.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
there was confusion between the two and I've seen a few occasions of the Guard asking if they wanted the Lancashire Lostock or the Cheshire Lostock.
There's also Lostock Hall on the Preston-Blackburn line. Those Lostocks seem to have got about a bit!

Howardh

Established Member
It doesn't have the h (I'll stop being a grammar nazi now :p) but there was confusion between the two and I've seen a few occasions of the Guard asking if they wanted the Lancashire Lostock or the Cheshire Lostock.
Round of applause for him saying "Lostock Lancashire" rather than Greater Manchester - even though it's in Greater Manchester!!! Well done that man!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Round of applause for him saying "Lostock Lancashire" rather than Greater Manchester - even though it's in Greater Manchester!!! Well done that man!
The Lostock Hall I mentioned is and always has been in Lancashire, whereas claiming Lostock Parkway is in Lancashire would be contentious to some people. Anyway, how do we know which if the two Lancashire ones he was talking about?

Howardh

Established Member
The Lostock Hall I mentioned is and always has been in Lancashire, whereas claiming Lostock Parkway is in Lancashire would be contentious to some people. Anyway, how do we know which if the two Lancashire ones he was talking about?
Yes, forgot about Lostock Hall! I doubt anyone would be upset about calling Lostock Parkway "Lancashire". Maybe a few bureaucrats in local government!!

Actually that's an idea for afore mentioned Geoff Marshall, visit and compare stations with (roughly) the same name.
Just looking down this list of "A's" alone, it's amazing how many stations have very similar names if not the same (Adlington). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_railway_stations_–_A

Last edited:

LewFinnis

There is the situation at the moment where a certain football club want White Hart Lane station renamed. A bit jealous of their north London rivals.....

Tomos y Tanc

Anyone know which station has had the most names over the years? The current Cardiff Bay station is on its fourth name having been Cardiff Bute Dock (1844), Cardiff Docks (1845) Cardiff Bute Road (1924) and Cardiff Bay (1994). I'm guessing other stations have had even more changes.

Mikey C

Established Member
Anyone know which station has had the most names over the years? The current Cardiff Bay station is on its fourth name having been Cardiff Bute Dock (1844), Cardiff Docks (1845) Cardiff Bute Road (1924) and Cardiff Bay (1994). I'm guessing other stations have had even more changes.

Don't know what station has had the most, but West Hampstead Thameslink has had 6 names.

West End for Kilburn and Hampstead (1871), West End (1903), West End and Brondesbury (1904), West Hampstead (1905), West Hampstead Midland (1950) and finally West Hampstead Thameslink (1988).

bramling

Veteran Member

Shortly before privatisation what became Midland Mainline stuck a big "Derby Midland" sign on the station that had just been known as Derby for many years before that.

A couple of others which can’t quite seem to make up their mind what they’re called:

St Albans / St Albans City
Lincoln / Lincoln Central
Redcar British Steel / British Steel Redcar

Obviously in all three cases the difference isn’t significant enough to really matter, or cause confusion.

Hull Paragon seems to be making a slight comeback too.

si404

Established Member
There is the situation at the moment where a certain football club want White Hart Lane station renamed. A bit jealous of their north London rivals.....
Though, to be, fair - if you wanted the stadiums actually on White Hart Lane, you'd be better off walking along it from near Wood Green station instead (though they are a way from both ends/stations).

Spurs have finally changed the name of the stadium from a long minor road that used to be the only thing in the area that wasn't the High Road. It's time the station did likewise. OK the area of Tottenham isn't Hotspur, but at least it has Tottenham in the name now and Spurs is a bigger part of the area than a minor road that is a terrible descriptor as it is really long and half in the catchment of another station!

If only TfL had someone trying to capitalise on a station upgrade of a station with "Tottenham" in the name (yet nowhere near the town) which is one of three stations on that road!

geoffk

Established Member
Ashchurch sometimes appears as "Ashchurch for Tewkesbury" but which is the official name? The latter is more helpful to visitors to the area. Going off at a slight tangent, Preston always appears as "Preston, Lancs" on CIS screens, even though there is no other station called Preston. True, there's Preston Park, Prestonpans and Long Preston. Similarly "Mossley Hill" and "Mossley Manchr" (sic).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Going off at a slight tangent, Preston always appears as "Preston, Lancs" on CIS screens, even though there is no other station called Preston. True, there's Preston Park, Prestonpans and Long Preston. Similarly "Mossley Hill" and "Mossley Manchr" (sic).
There's a bit of a difference between the name as shown on nameboards and the name as shown (though not always consistently) on tickets and departure screens. As far as I'm aware nobody has tried to include these county (etc) "disambiguators" on the station signage.

And before anyone says Mossley shouldn't be described as Manchester, I'll point out that various times prior to 1974 parts of it were in three different counties!

rower40

Fambridge (crossing loop on Wickford to Southminster single line) was renamed to North Fambridge some while back. No-one has yet updated the signaller's screens, unless there's a post-it note that I don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.