• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chase Line electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magicake

The foundations in areas of historic mineworkings are having to be concrete rather than steel piles and with more steel reinforcement than normal. Additionally before installing the foundations it has been decided to drill into the ground to find how big the mine is. If it is too large it may need to be filled with grout before installing the foundations.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Indeed, lots of unknown mine workings along the route of which some are quite shallow apparently. Rather spend the extra money on making it safe than to have stanchions suddenly start dissapearing underground.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Probably a good idea. South Staffs and the Black Country has a genuine problem with the number of unmapped mine shafts in the area, it can even be an issue if you are looking at buying a house over there as far as I am aware.

dangie

Established Member
How deep do the foundations for the stanchions have to be?
I would have thought that the many years of heavy coal trains over the line would have found out any potential subsidence weak spots.

However I do agree. Better to be safe than sorry.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Latest information. Looks like it will miss its December 2017 deadline. No surprise there.

Costs have gone from original £30 million to £76 million to the latest £100 million.

Express & Star - Chase Line

I'm shocked and surprised that nobody has found a way of pinning this delayed overspend on bi-modes! :lol:

Seriously though, whilst there are obviously problems on the "a-list" electrifications (GWML, TPE, MML, EGIP), I was hoping that this shorter local fill-in could have gone ahead without the same problems. I appreciate the comments re the mining (having worked in that industry many years ago and being surprised at the number of ex-Staffordshire employees), but surely this was known when the initial costings/ deadlines were calculated?

Sorry, I don't want to moan about "experts" or fall into the other keyboard warrior cliches - it's just frustrating that we can't even plan and deliver a relatively small scheme.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So at £100m, what kind of price does that work out at per track-km?

The Planner

Veteran Member
but surely this was known when the initial costings/ deadlines were calculated?

Sorry, I don't want to moan about "experts" or fall into the other keyboard warrior cliches - it's just frustrating that we can't even plan and deliver a relatively small scheme.

It was probably known about but if you are working with less than accurate records of mine records in the first place something was bound to go awry.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So at £100m, what kind of price does that work out at per track-km?

£2m per stkm (16 miles is more or less 50 stkm).
That's 3 times the notional national figure posted by NR in the 2009 RUS.
Let's hope Bromsgrove comes in without problems (16 stkm-ish).

Class 170101

Established Member
It was probably known about but if you are working with less than accurate records of mine records in the first place something was bound to go awry.

Would this be something that BR had and Railtrack threw away when they came into being?

fgwrich

Established Member

Indeed so. Few friends of mine live up in the midlands, one not too far from Walsall - The end of the terrace property along his road had to be demolished due to subsidence from former mining activities I believe!

I agree that it's a shame though that a small infill scheme is costing more than expected, and sadly suffering further delays.

snowball

Established Member
Unrecorded workings are frequently a problem with any construction in old mining areas.

Magicake

Most likely they didn't exist in the first place.

Indeed. The mines in question are from the very early 19th century and before. It is perhaps not entirely surprising that NR don't have accurate records of them.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Still no masts.
Viewing the southbound line today, a good number of new bases have gone in north of Ryecroft Jn.
Most of these are of the heavy duty type (there are also some of these on the Bromsgrove route).
They are about twice the usual diameter, and consist of a metal cylinder filled with concrete.
Maybe they are to combat the difficult ground conditions.
Plenty still to do, and nothing that I could see from Ryecroft Jn through Walsall station to Pleck Jn.

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Engineering works in the pipeline!
10th, 11th and 18th of June, buses replace trains between Tame Bridge Pkwy and Rugeley TV all day. As I understand it, only the Rugeley services are affected.

moggie

Unlikely - same problem as Bromsgrove. No electric trains available. First seven 323s come off lease with Northern in November 2018.

Yet there are sidings filling up with unwanted and serviceable cl.319 units a mere 23 mile away!:rolleyes:

No will, no way.

snowball

Established Member
Big blockade later in the year too.

16 days in August, according to the June Modern Railways, page 24.

NR hopes to complete the wiring by December and see electric services by next May.

Cost has gone up from £36M in May 2016 to £100M but that may include extra work in the form of W10 gauge clearance and increasing the speed from 45 to 75 mph.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
W10 would have been part of the remit and 75mph has been dropped, its 60mph as you don't need more to timetable a half hourly service. The unknown mine workings have caused big problems.

snowball

Established Member
Just going through some old mags prior to throwing out. The Oct 2016 Modern Railways said the DfT had warned franchise bidders to allow for possible delay in electrifying the Chase line from Dec 2017 to May 2019.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...-for-16-days-as-electrification-gathers-pace/

Railway between Rugeley Trent Valley and Walsall to close for 16 days as electrification gathers pace

Passengers using the Chase line between Rugeley Trent Valley and Walsall are being urged to check before they travel this August while Network Rail continues to electrify the Chase line.

Once the line is electrified, London Midland’s passengers will benefit from a cleaner, greener, quieter and more reliable railway between Birmingham and Rugeley with more frequent services.

An increasing number of passengers use the Chase line each year and improvements are needed to accommodate this growth. To deliver the £100m+ upgrade, which forms part of the Railway Upgrade Plan, the line will be closed from Sunday 13 August until Monday 28 August 2017.

The closure has been carefully planned with London Midland. Work which will take place includes:

Replacing and realigning the track at various locations between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley

Platform work at Cannock, Landywood and Bloxwich stations

Temporary closure of Bloxwich level crossing. A diversionary route for road traffic and pedestrians will be in place

Temporary closure of Landywood and Stoneyfields footpath crossings

Piling to install remaining foundations for stanchions

Installation of stanchions and gantries ahead of overhead lines being installed in 2018

Martin Tiller, Network Rail’s project sponsor said: “This work, part of our Railway Upgrade Plan, will mean passengers travelling between Rugeley and Birmingham via Walsall will have a better, more reliable railway.

“Unfortunately these upgrades cannot be done while trains are running so we have to close the line between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley for 16 days in August. The work has been carefully planned with London Midland to get the maximum amount completed whilst causing the least disruption. I would like to thank passengers for their patience while we carry out these upgrades to deliver a better railway.”

Amanda Milling, MP for Cannock Chase said: “I completely understand that passengers will be very concerned about the disruption on the Chase Line in the coming weeks but they will enjoy a much better service once the electrification is complete. The electrification of the Chase Line will see faster and more frequent trains which mean there are hundreds more seats, bringing an end to the misery passengers have faced over the last few years. I would urge passengers to check before they travel as there will be an amended timetable with a replacement bus service.”

London Midland’s head of Route, Rob Hornsey, said: “We would much sooner be running trains than buses in August but it will be worth it when we can run more frequent, cleaner, quieter and quicker trains to carry more people when the work is done. I’d like to thank all our passengers and neighbours for their patience and understanding while this exciting project to upgrade the Chase Line progresses.”

From Sunday 13 August until Monday 21 August buses will replace trains between Tame Bridge Parkway, Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley to an amended timetable

From Tuesday 22 August until Monday 28 August buses will replace trains between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley to an amended timetable.

Overhead wires are currently only installed as far as Walsall which means London Midland currently runs diesel trains from Birmingham to Rugeley Trent Valley. Once the electrification work on the Chase line is complete, electric trains will be able to run along the whole of the line from Birmingham New Street to Rugeley Trent Valley.

For more information on the work visit: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...hase-line-electrification-rugeley-to-walsall/.

For travel information visit www.nationalrail.co.uk.

It mentions wires going up in 2018 so clearly the original completion date is dead.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Another press release:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...ades-between-rugely-trent-valley-and-walsall/

Residents living near the Chase line are invited to three drop-in events next week to find out more about work to electrify the railway between Rugeley Trent Valley and Walsall.

Once electrified, London Midland’s passengers will benefit from a cleaner, greener, quieter and more reliable railway between Birmingham and Rugeley with more frequent services.

An increasing number of passengers use the Chase line each year and improvements are needed to accommodate this growth. To deliver the £100m+ upgrade, which forms part of the Railway Upgrade Plan, engineers are working on the line every night and at weekends as well as during a full closure from Sunday 13 August until Monday 28 August 2017.

Sally O’Hare, scheme project manager for Network Rail said: “This work forms part of our Railway Upgrade Plan and will deliver better, greener and more efficient services and frequent services for passengers using the Chase Line.

“I appreciate that the work could be disruptive to local people and will impact on train services. These sessions are an opportunity to find out more and reassure people that we will be taking all possible measures to keep disruption to a minimum and reopen the railway on time.”

Work which will take place includes:

Replacing and realigning the track at various locations between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley
Platform work at Cannock, Landywood and Bloxwich stations.
Temporary closure of Bloxwich level crossing. A diversionary route for road traffic and pedestrians will be implemented.
Temporary closure of Landywood and Stoneyfields footpath crossings.
Piling to install remaining foundations for stanchions
Installation of stanchions and gantries ahead of overhead lines being installed in 2018

Local residents are invited to speak to Network Rail and London Midland staff who will be on hand to answer questions and provide more detail. The three drop in events will take place at:

Rugeley Town Council, Red Rose Theatre, Taylor’s Ln, Rugeley WS15 2AA on Tuesday 4th July from 4pm to 7pm
Bloxwich Library, Elmore Row, Walsall WS3 2HR on Wednesday 5th July from 4pm to 7pm
Cheslyn Hay Parish Council, Village Hall, Pinfold Lane, Walsall, WS6 7HP on Thursday 6th July from 4pm to 7:00pm

To find out more about this work please visit our website www.networkrail.co.uk/chase-line-electrification-rugeley-to-walsall

Any residents who cannot make the drop in and have any questions can call our national helpline on 03457 11 41 41

snowball

Established Member
And another:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...s-part-of-walsall-to-rugeley-electrification/

Three level crossings between Walsall and Rugeley will close for up to six months while Network Rail carries out electrification and upgrade work on the Chase line.

Landywood and Stoneyfields footpath crossings will be closed for six months from Friday 21 July to reduce the level of risk to drivers, cyclists and pedestrians from machinery and engineering trains which will be working in the area.

Bloxwich level crossing will be closed between 12 August and 4 September while work takes place to renew the track either side of it.

Network Rail is making a number of enhancements between Walsall and Rugeley Town as part of the national Railway Upgrade Plan. Improvements include installing overhead lines to power electric trains and renewing and realigning sections of track to help provide a more frequent passenger service.

Because the upgrade of the line will mean an increase in faster and quieter trains, which will increase the level of risk at both footpath crossings, Network Rail will seek a permanent closure of them when the work is complete.

James Cooper, scheme project manager for Network Rail, said: “The upgrade of the line between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley will provide passengers with a better, more reliable railway. Faster and quieter trains – and more of them – means that the risk to people using these crossings will be increased. We are committed to making the railway safer so will seek to permanently close both crossings. This decision will be made with the local authority and local people will be kept fully informed.”

Landywood and Stoneyfields footpath crossings will be fenced off to prevent trespass and vandalism. Short diversionary routes will be in place during the closures. Passenger and freight trains will no longer sound their horns as they approach the crossings which will reduce disturbance to local residents.

Information will be available at the crossings and the diversionary routes will be clearly signed. Anyone with further questions should call the Network Rail national helpline on 03457 114 141.

Notes to editors:
The two footpath crossings affected are:
– Landywood Footpath Crossing (just off Westbourne Avenue, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, WS6 7DH)
– Stoneyfields Estate Footpath Crossing (just off Pebble Mill Drive, Cannock, WS11 6UR crossing)

While these closures are in place, a number of diversionary routes will be available.
– For Landywood, a diversionary route exists to the south, through the underpass off Lingfield Drive (WS6 6LS), and to the north, under the bridge along Station Road (WS6 6LJ).
– For Stoneyfields Estate, a diversionary route exists to the north under the bridge along Hawks Green Lane (WS11 6LL)

Status
Not open for further replies.