• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chatham to Marylebone (Zone 1-6 Travelcard the only way?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicdanny

I recently decided to go for the £10 Chiltern go further ticket, although obviously though I would have to get to Marylebone first. Although I'm finding that the only ticket that is available is for about 19.50 which is Chatham - London 1 - 6 Travel card. Was wondering if anyone else knew is this was the only option or is there a cheaper version with less "zones" ?

Thanks for any help even though it is a fairly short notice (tomorrow) ( would have gone the oyster method but have misplaced that unfortunately )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You should be able to buy a ticket with destination 'London Zone U1' - it might not appear on a ticket machine or TOC website though, in my experience...

calc7

Established Member
Chatham - London Terminals CDR is £12.10. Add two Oyster Z1 singles @ £1.80.
Total = £15.70

John @ home

Established Member
You should be able to buy a ticket with destination 'London Zone U1'
Chatham - Zone U1* Londn fares are available for 4 ticket types only:
  • Standard Anytime Day Single (SDS)
  • First Class Anytime Day Single (FDS)
  • Standard Off-Peak Return (SVR)
  • Standard Anytime Day Return (SDR)
and are priced £3 single / £6 return more than the corresponding Chatham - London Terminals fare.

They are not available as an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR), perhaps because the One Day Off-Peak Travelcard from Chatham costs £3.30 (not HS1) / £3.50 (Plus High Speed) more than the CDR.

atomicdanny

You should be able to buy a ticket with destination 'London Zone U1' - it might not appear on a ticket machine or TOC website though, in my experience...

I tried for one of these about a year ago at Canterbury East but was told the only option was a Travel Card back then, but didn't know if that was actually true at the time though :(

Chatham - London Terminals CDR is £12.10. Add two Oyster Z1 singles @ £1.80.
Total = £15.70

I did say though that I had misplaced my oyster card in the first post though :) hence wouldn't be able to use that method but thanks though for finding that price :)

Although I'm guessing that the cheapest price is still the one above? (the 19.50 one that i first found?) (I'm guessing tickets with out an oyster are more expensive? £4 each way?)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Chatham - Zone U1* Londn fares are available for 4 ticket types only...

They are not available as an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR), perhaps because the One Day Off-Peak Travelcard from Chatham costs £3.30 (not HS1) / £3.50 (Plus High Speed) more than the CDR.

That definitely makes sense as you explain it, the day travelcard is actually giving you more flexibility for less. The only time I've ever used a 'Zone U1' was when I was staying in London overnight, and using what would now be an 'offpeak return' - and of course a travelcard is only a day ticket...

I guess what causes the suspicion is that it isn't really explained anywhere to the public - unless a staff member mentioned this comparison, you'd just find the fare missing online, or not displayed on a TVM, although helpfully as it turns out...

calc7

Established Member
I did say though that I had misplaced my oyster card in the first post though :) hence wouldn't be able to use that method but thanks though for finding that price :)

Although I'm guessing that the cheapest price is still the one above? (the 19.50 one that i first found?) (I'm guessing tickets with out an oyster are more expensive? £4 each way?)

Ah, my apologies. You could always get an Oyster card then refund it on your way back.

If you go on the East Coast website, and put in Chatham to Wembley Stadium (also works for Acton Main Line, but Wembley Stadium would force you via Marylebone), click "not HS1" in the slower routes option, then you can get an £18.30 fare with the same validity and obviously including tube travel.

clagmonster

Established Member
Indeed, the Wembley ticket should be available from TVMs and the booking office at Chatham. Just ask for a cheap day return to Wembley Stadium, route Not HS1.

MarkyMarkD

Whilst that is true, as a CDR to London Terminals is £16.20, there is also a Super Off-Peak Day Return to Victoria (not London Terminals, or at least not as far as I have experienced) for £12.10. The Off-Peak Day Travelcard at £19.50. represents a differential of £7.40 which is ludicrous.

It has long bugged me that no Travelcard version of the Super Off-Peak Day Return is available.

calc7's advice is correct, as long as you get the train from Chatham to Victoria and then catch the tube with your Oyster Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.