• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1066

Just out of curiosity , What is the cheapest return ticket you can buy, between any 2 stations.?

Excluding offers,rail cards or Advanced .
Just walk up fare .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just out of curiosity , What is the cheapest return ticket you can buy, between any 2 stations.?

Excluding offers,rail cards or Advanced .
Just walk up fare .
As far as I'm aware, that could be Lichfield Trent Valley to Lichfield City, however I'm not currently able to access the fares data so I can't conclusively prove this.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Lichfield City - Lichfield Trent Valley is 70p Anytime Day Single, 90p Anytime Day Return.

mallard

Established Member
There's a fare in the system for Prestwick - "Prestwick Atrain" at 65p for the Anytime Day Single... Technically a walk-up fare, but I believe it's only purchasable by Ryanair customers, so would be an "offer".

DavidGrain

Established Member
Many years ago BR had a promotional deal whereby if you held an annual season ticket you could travel half fare anywhere in the country. I have a friend who bought an annual season ticket Cardiff Queen St to Cardiff Central although he lived nowhere near Cardiff.

Silver Cobra

While it may not beat the examples given here already, Arlesey to Biggleswade is a pretty cheap journey, with an off-peak day return being £1.60 and a super off-peak being £1.20. I think it may be the cheapest return journey available on the (former) Great Northern network, only equalled by Meldreth - Shepreth and Shepreth - Foxton (these have cheaper singles, but returns are the same).

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Wedgwood-Barlaston is surprisingly expensive, as it is less than a mile between them, and you can't even get a train! £1.80 single

D.K.TAYLOR

Many years ago to have any discount I had a Sheffield to Attercliffe Road season ticket sadly no longer there £20 a year used to get it issued at Wolverhampton good old days

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Many years ago BR had a promotional deal whereby if you held an annual season ticket you could travel half fare anywhere in the country. I have a friend who bought an annual season ticket Cardiff Queen St to Cardiff Central although he lived nowhere near Cardiff.

A similar thing still applies in that Annual Season tickets issued in the Gold Card area allow a discount of 34% off fares in the Gold Card area, among other benefits. The Gold Card area used to be the same as the Network Railcard area but was expended a couple of years ago to cover much of the West Midlands and East Anglia.

The cheapest Annual Season ticket in the Gold Card area is Hatton - Lapworth at £164. I have one for the Gold Card benefits!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
A similar thing still applies in that Annual Season tickets issued in the Gold Card area allow a discount of 34% off fares in the Gold Card area, among other benefits. The Gold Card area used to be the same as the Network Railcard area but was expended a couple of years ago to cover much of the West Midlands and East Anglia.

The cheapest Annual Season ticket in the Gold Card area is Hatton - Lapworth at £164. I have one for the Gold Card benefits!

Doesn't that come in at the same price as Lichfield TV to Lichfield City

Kite159

Veteran Member
And I've actually used my Hatton gold card as an actual season ticket sandwiched between other tickets (due to fare clusters)

E759

Can the Hatton-Lapworth Gold Card be purchased online from WMT? Looks like it can and comes with postal delivery but will the Gold Card bit, printed on Gold Card stock or Gold Card Record Card, be included? If not, how should I go about obtaining one please? My local station is run by "Southern".

Many thanks!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Can the Hatton-Lapworth Gold Card be purchased online from WMT? Looks like it can and comes with postal delivery but will the Gold Card bit, printed on Gold Card stock or Gold Card Record Card, be included? If not, how should I go about obtaining one please? My local station is run by "Southern".

Many thanks!
You ought to be able to obtain that season ticket at any ticket office which sells a full range of tickets. It is possible to buy season tickets online via a variety of websites (including Southern's); however I would prefer to buy them in person in order to be sure of getting the season ticket printed on Gold Card stock.

E759

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'll try that once I've convinced myself that is a good use of £160. All my recent day-trips have been to Co. Durham (Weardale Rly), Yorkshire (K&WVR/NYMR) and NE Wales (Llangollen) so a Gold Card may not be the correct ticket for folk such as myself :)

DavidGrain

Established Member

mallard

Established Member

E759

DavidGrain

Established Member
Wow, that download graphic! Really screams "look at all the cool effects my paint program can do" circa 2002. Also, since apparently "THIS MAP MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED IN ANY FORM WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM RAIL DELIVERY GROUP" and therefore it's probably illegal to print it out, I wonder if it's possible to order a printed version somewhere...

My guess is that you could print out a single copy for personal use. After all with modern technology there is nothing to stop you carrying it around on a smart phone or tablet. What they want to stop is people incorporating it into books, posters etc for commercial use. After all, the time the draughtsman (does anyone still use that term?) spent on doing that drawing even on a computer took many hours

Status
Not open for further replies.