• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest option

Status
Not open for further replies.

funder

Hello to everybody :D

I am looking to travel from Cosham to Waterloo on the 8th Jan and returning on the 11th Jan.
I would also want tube travel for my stay included,Any help would be great.

many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Hello to everybody :D

I am looking to travel from Cosham to Waterloo on the 8th Jan and returning on the 10th Jan.
I would also want tube travel for my stay included,Any help would be great.

many thanks.

Your best option will be the following

Saver Return- Cosham- London: £28.70 (Valid on any train scheduled to depart at or after 0930.)

Travelcard Zones 1-6:

One Day
£14.80 (Peak) £7.50 (Off Peak)

Three Day
£42.40 (Peak) £21.20 (Off Peak)

Off peak is for travel after 09:30

clagmonster

Established Member
If you travel into Victoria, you can get advance singles. These must be used on the booked train, and should be booked as soon as practically possible (I should imagine that they are on sale by now). From memory, Portsmouth-Victoria is £3 single, so I should imagine that Cosham is about the same.
Failing that, again travelling into Victoria, you could buy a Southern day rover ticket, available from the Southern website, which allows unlimited off-peak travel on Southern services, apart from those to Waterloo East, Charring X, and on the WCML (I can't remember the boundary station for these). Again, these tickets must be booked in advance.

glynn80

Established Member
If you travel into Victoria, you can get advance singles. These must be used on the booked train, and should be booked as soon as practically possible (I should imagine that they are on sale by now). From memory, Portsmouth-Victoria is £3 single, so I should imagine that Cosham is about the same.
Failing that, again travelling into Victoria, you could buy a Southern day rover ticket, available from the Southern website, which allows unlimited off-peak travel on Southern services, apart from those to Waterloo East, Charring X, and on the WCML (I can't remember the boundary station for these). Again, these tickets must be booked in advance.

Another option if travelling into Victoria is the purchase the Saver Return (Off Peak Return) route Hassocks/Horsham which is a lower price of £28.00. Or purchase two Super Off Peak Day Singles at £13.40 (total £26.80 return). The Off Peak Return allows travel after 09:30 where as the Super Off Peak Day Single is valid anytime Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays, or Monday to Friday where trains to London Victoria arrive after 10:55. Also return journey is not valid on trains that depart London Victoria between 16:45 and 19:15 Monday to Friday.

funder

trying to find the best possible deal is nigh on impossible.I cannot find a fare anywhere near £3.00,its probably me looking in the wrong places but a nudge in the right direction would be a godsend.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think Cosham has any AP fares. You have to buy from Pompey.

John @ home

Established Member
From memory, Portsmouth-Victoria is £3 single, so I should imagine that Cosham is about the same.

trying to find the best possible deal is nigh on impossible.I cannot find a fare anywhere near £3.00,its probably me looking in the wrong places but a nudge in the right direction would be a godsend.

Try http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com

Ask for a return from CSA (Cosham) to VIC (London Victoria). Click on more options. Enter via HOV (Hove). Enter the dates and times you want to travel.

It is currently offering me £3 singles from Cosham on Thursday 8 January 2009 at 0740, 1005, then hourly until 1405, 1605 and 1705.

It is not offering any £3 tickets to return on Sunday 11 January. This may be because Southern don't sell these very cheap tickets for travel on Sundays, or perhaps it's because trains are replaced by buses for part of the journey by this route on this particular Sunday. I don't know.

I am being offered a £3 single from Victoria to Cosham at 0100 on Monday 12 January. After a bus between Three Bridges and Brighton, and more than 2 hours waiting at Brighton for a connection, this gets to Cosham at 0627. Perhaps that's not what you had in mind!

For the return journey, then, you need to pay more or change your date of travel. There is currently a good choice of £3 fares from Victoria to Cosham on both 10 and 12 January.

John

paul1609

Established Member
A couple of points all direct Cosham victoria services now go via Horsham and not Hove but you are better off entering Barnham (BAA) as your via point. Southern dont serve Cosham on a Sunday so you wont find any advance tickets. You would have to travel via Fratton and buy a single to cosham.

Status
Not open for further replies.