• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest possible fare in the UK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester27

I need your help... does anyone know the cheapest Origin/Destination flow on the UK rail network?

My guess would be Ryde Pier Head > Ryde Esplanade

I'm just meaning a standard walk-up adult ticket, no child or other discounts :D

I'm sure there will be better informed folk out there.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I believe it’s Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley
Anytime Day Single is £1.10.

Slightly surprising that, as it has to be at least a mile and a bit between the two stations, and there must be quite a few shorter distance, but more expensive, one station 'hops' out there.

kacper

you can get "free train transfer" tickets between Heathrow terminals for... free, but these are not "defined" fares

Willie Bee

Slightly surprising that, as it has to be at least a mile and a bit between the two stations, and there must be quite a few shorter distance, but more expensive, one station 'hops' out there.
So a 5-minute journey is only £1.10

I was thinking about Manors to Newcastle, which is sometimes shown as being only a 2 minute journey, but the fare is £2.70

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

This one's a relic of "baskets" and regulated prices, I believe. Was kept the same or even deflated for years, I think.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Some Merseyrail ones are under a kilometre but £2.40 seems to be the lowest (e.g. Aughton Park to Town Green).

SteveM70

Established Member
I believe it’s Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley

Shame it isn't in Northernland, they'd offer cheap advances on it

MrJeeves

Established Member
Burgess Hill to Wivelsfield is £2.30

0.8 miles. 1 minute.

davews

Any Time Single Twickenham to St Margarets £3.80! Probably less than your 0.8 miles. Or do it on TFL contactless off peak for £2.80, who is robbing who?

Billy Hicks

Does this mean as recently as 2022 (or maybe 2021) there were still some fares available for under a pound? I seem to remember there were a few in the mid-2010s, possibly some of the examples above, but I’m not sure how gradually they increased in price after that.

mikeb42

Any Time Single Twickenham to St Margarets £3.80! Probably less than your 0.8 miles. Or do it on TFL contactless off peak for £2.80, who is robbing who?
Meanwhile, Birchgrove to Ty Glas (0m 17ch according to RailMiles - less than 1/4 of a mile) is a staggering £2.60. £12.24 per mile must be some kind of record, in an entirely bad way.

What seems an obvious candidate turns out to definitely not be a contender for the OP's query after all!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Golf Street to Barry Links is another £1.00 fare.

On a related note:

Is Ardrossan Town to Ardossan Harbour the cheapest seven day season ticket at £5.10?

Last edited:

Shimbleshanks

Purley to Chesham on my over-60s Oystercard - a grand total of £0.00 after 9.30am on a weekday, or any time at the weekend.

Golf Street to Barry Links is another £1.00 fare.

On a related note:

Is Ardrossan Town to Ardossan Harbour the cheapest seven day season ticket at £5.10?
I've found this one which maybe hard to beat, Dockyard(DOC) to Devonport (DPT) is only £3.60 per week

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206-015401_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206-015401_Chrome.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Define fare?
Wedgwood to Barlaston was 80p on the bus last time I did it (I concede it has probably gone up now!) There is no train fare, but the bus is the train anyway.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've found this one which maybe hard to beat, Dockyard(DOC) to Devonport (DPT) is only £3.60 per week
That’s the cheapest season ticket. Although it’s outside the Gold Card but it could be useful for changeover purposes.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Many years ago, I bought an annual season ticket from Manchester Oxford Road to Piccadilly for £36 which was 360 x the normal 10p fare. This allowed me to buy an Annual Season Ticket holders railcard for an extra £5. It paid for itself many times over. I never used my AST.

sk688

Similarly, Northolt Park to Sudbury Hill is 3.80 (but i doubt anyone in their right mind would buy a ticket for that journey)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Many years ago, I bought an annual season ticket from Manchester Oxford Road to Piccadilly for £36 which was 360 x the normal 10p fare. This allowed me to buy an Annual Season Ticket holders railcard for an extra £5. It paid for itself many times over. I never used my AST.
I think that at one time a ticket from Attercliffe to Brightside was the cheapest possible for those purposes, and hence surprisingly popular. Both stations are, of course, long gone now.

drspa44

Looking at my database (which includes TFL contactless), £1.00 is definitely the cheapest adult non-zero train fare. There are quite a few off-peak tickets for £1.00.

The only anytime/peak fare that exists for £1.00 is BEVERLEY <-> COTTINGHAM with the restriction of HULL TRAINS ONLY

Trainguy34

Looking at my database (which includes TFL contactless), £1.00 is definitely the cheapest adult non-zero train fare. There are quite a few off-peak tickets for £1.00.

The only anytime/peak fare that exists for £1.00 is BEVERLEY <-> COTTINGHAM with the restriction of HULL TRAINS ONLY

After scrolling down a little bit, I saw a likely contender for the highest Price / Distance Ratio - a £9998 test only Adult Single for the same route - no break of journey however.

Is it bad that I wish I could buy that for fun?

drspa44

After scrolling down a little bit, I saw probably a contender for the highest Price:Distance Ratio - a £9998 test only Adult Single for the same route - no break of journey however. Is it bad that I wish I could buy that for fun?
The best price/distance ratio is to sneak into a staffed station somehow, find a guard and tell them you do not intend to pay and ask to be issued a penalty fare instead. Whilst not technically an advertised train fare, it is the worst value: £80 to travel 0 miles.

Gaelan

The best price/distance ratio is to sneak into a staffed station somehow, find a guard and tell them you do not intend to pay and ask to be issued a penalty fare instead. Whilst not technically an advertised train fare, it is the worst value: £80 to travel 0 miles.
You could achieve the same ratio by buying a platform ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.