• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheltenham Racecourse Station closure date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euryalus

I have always thought that Cheltenham Racecourse station was officially closed after the race meeting in March 1968, this being reported in The Railway Magazine in June 1968, and confirmed (?) by E.C.B.Thornton in a subsequent Railway Magazine article that appeared in August 1977. However, Wikipedia claims that the station was last used in March 1976; is this simply a mistake? Surely the Cheltenham & Honeybourne would have been unsafe for passenger traffic by 1976?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I thought it was still in use as the start/end station on the Gloucester - Warwickshire preserved railway?

Rugd1022

That is presumably the line, not the station?.

Last train to run on the line was a Toton-Severn Tunnel freight in August '76 which derailed near the goods shed at Winchcombe, causing enough damage for 'them in charge' to close it to all traffic, although it was another few years before the track was lifted.

RPM

Established Member
I believe it was indeed used for occasional race specials after its official closure date.

thewiltog

That is presumably the line, not the station?.

It was the station - presumably a race special. Full quote from Quick -

"Line closed [for passenger use - my addition] 25th March 1968, just after race meeting of 21 March but reop 16 March 1971 to here for occasional use last 18th March 1976"

The source for the final use is Branch Line News ed 320 p76

Googling found this from the GWRS

" However, in 1971, it was once again used for race trains until the last, on 14 March 1976, when a class 47 (Brush type 4) diesel departed with the very last train of Cheltenham Gold Cup punters back to London Paddington."

which suggests a date a few days earlier.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It was used for special Gold Cup trains up until 1976. I'm sure I've seen pictures of both a 47 and a Hymek there in the 1970's, but I can't remember which book or books!

euryalus

It was used for special Gold Cup trains up until 1976. I'm sure I've seen pictures of both a 47 and a Hymek there in the 1970's, but I can't remember which book or books!

The Hymek picture appeared on page 361 of the June 1968 Railway Magazine, while the Class 47 view was, I think on page 274 of the May 1969 edition (diversions following the Ashchurch derailment). I don't think there were any further references to Cheltenham Racecourse in the Railway Magazine, which is why I am wary of the dates quoted by Quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.