• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Based upon information published on the Stokebus.info and D & G websites, service 315 is to continue operating beyond 27th March whilst service 321 is withdrawn - as previously announced.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
PC1024226/5 - IAN ANDREW TOMLINSON, 5 DARNHALL SCHOOL LANE, WINSFORD, CW7 1JR
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between KNUTSFORD CIRCULAR and KNUTSFORD CIRCULAR given service number 300 effective from 07-May-2016.

I wonder if there's to be a replacement contract? I haven't noticed a new round of contracts go out to tender but Tomlinson Travel have been known to hand back contracts early saying passenger numbers have dropped - they did that with both the 47 and 49. If they've asked to cancel it then it's a clever cancellation date. The first Saturday in May they've had to run duplicate services in the past due to both the May Day Festival and Fun Fair both being on, while most days they are running evening services with 0-6 passengers.

I actually noticed the Renault Rohill Harrier on the 300 route on Saturday didn't have the Tomlinson Travel logo on it, I don't know if that was the bus they frequently have on the 300 route which did have Tomlinson Travel logos or whether it was a different one.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanM1997

On the 25th April, Routemaster will be amending their timetable to early morning and evening journeys. Does anyone know what these changes are, or will some services be cut?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Rumours are circulating on a bus forum that Routemaster Buses have run in to financial problems and as of Tuesday the C84 will no longer operate, despite not having a cancellation request accepted by the TC.

Danfilm007

Rumours are circulating on a bus forum that Routemaster Buses have run in to financial problems and as of Tuesday the C84 will no longer operate, despite not having a cancellation request accepted by the TC.

Good job I went around the depot to take some pictures today then, isn't it! :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, I can only feel bad for the company. For a little while they were doing well (indeed I've seen good loadings on the C84) but GHA registering an 84 (almost out of spite) has really done them in. Sadly, that's the deregulated world we live in, but there's not the patronage to do it in Cheshire.
Very good operation, Routemaster Buses is. Will ask a driver tomorrow. If it is the case, we've lost an interesting company sadly.

Established Member
It is a great shame when little operators like Routemaster get ruined by bigger players, especially when Routemaster weren't directly trying to compete with anyone. No doubt Mr Bryce will be jumping at the chance to take their routes on. Does anyone know if the traffic Commisioner has taken any action against GHA and also what the outcome of the tachograph fraud court case was?

Laurencew

Routemaster Buses last day on the route C84 will in fact be Saturday 26th March.
One Leyland Olympian will be out.

Danfilm007

Looks like the C84 being dropped and everything else staying, hence why the deckers are painted and the Fishwicks stuff wasn't.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
It is a great shame when little operators like Routemaster get ruined by bigger players, especially when Routemaster weren't directly trying to compete with anyone.

Indeed. Both Routemaster and D&G actually revised their plans when they realised what each other had registered.

D&G thought a bus on the 84 every 15 minutes could be justified between Nantwich and Crewe so registered a half-hourly to complement Arriva's service. However, when D&G discovered Routemaster were planning to introduce an hourly Chester-Crewe replacement for the lost Arriva service they reduced their 84 to hourly.

While Routemaster and D&G both submitted registrations for a number 8 service to replace the withdrawn Arriva service but when Routemaster realised what D&G had done they cancelled their number 8 registration.

In the same circumstances GHA would have probably created a bus war.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Routemaster have confirmed the C84 will be suspended

Routemaster Buses said:
We have suspended our service on the C84 from the 29th March owing to predatory competition damaging our revenue base. Our loyal customers are recommended to use Arriva, who will operate a full daily service.

SWTH

That's a real shame. Having been involved with Routemaster's C84 for the first week of GHA trying to compete I would say the tactics used by GHA (adverts suggesting that only buses with smart card ticket machines could accept ENCTS cards for example) along with their inability to actually turn up half the time merit a close investigation by the TC. Numerous times the GHA service would miss sections of route (the Willaston loop rarely got a GHA service), or not serve Crewe Bus Station. I encountered several passengers who had caught a GHA 84 and were left with a useless return ticket because they had failed to run the afternoon service.

martinsh

Established Member
D&G thought a bus on the 84 every 15 minutes could be justified between Nantwich and Crewe so registered a half-hourly to complement Arriva's service. However, when D&G discovered Routemaster were planning to introduce an hourly Chester-Crewe replacement for the lost Arriva service they reduced their 84 to hourly.

While Routemaster and D&G both submitted registrations for a number 8 service to replace the withdrawn Arriva service but when Routemaster realised what D&G had done they cancelled their number 8 registration.
Not quite true. D & G reduced the 84 to hourly so the bus involved could run the journeys Arriva were dropping from the 8. Hence no extra service by D & G on the 8 on Saturdays.

daodao

Established Member
That's a real shame. Having been involved with Routemaster's C84 for the first week of GHA trying to compete I would say the tactics used by GHA (adverts suggesting that only buses with smart card ticket machines could accept ENCTS cards for example) along with their inability to actually turn up half the time merit a close investigation by the TC. Numerous times the GHA service would miss sections of route (the Willaston loop rarely got a GHA service), or not serve Crewe Bus Station. I encountered several passengers who had caught a GHA 84 and were left with a useless return ticket because they had failed to run the afternoon service.

GHA (Gwasanaeth Heb ar Ail) should be renamed GE (Gwasanaeth Eilradd). :(

They have over-expanded and have a vast operating area, stretching as far as Barmouth, Bowdon and Bridgnorth. They don't have enough drivers (hence missing services), and some of the ones they have recruited don't have a "public service" ethos and cut corners, e.g. miss out "inconvenient" sections of route, either deliberately to save time or through lack of route knowledge. While they do have some new buses, many are quite old.

At some point, hopefully the TCs will catch up with their cowboy practices.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Not quite true. D & G reduced the 84 to hourly so the bus involved could run the journeys Arriva were dropping from the 8. Hence no extra service by D & G on the 8 on Saturdays.

Cheshire East did tell D&G they had lost the contract for the Saturday 300 service (the weekday services are commercial), only to be asked to continue running it after the contract award to GHA was voided. That might have affected D&G's plans for Saturday services on other routes as a bus + driver weren't freed up as expected.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
GHA (Gwasanaeth Heb ar Ail) should be renamed GE (Gwasanaeth Eilradd). :(

They have over-expanded and have a vast operating area, stretching as far as Barmouth, Bowdon and Bridgnorth. They don't have enough drivers (hence missing services), and some of the ones they have recruited don't have a "public service" ethos and cut corners, e.g. miss out "inconvenient" sections of route, either deliberately to save time or through lack of route knowledge. While they do have some new buses, many are quite old.

At some point, hopefully the TCs will catch up with their cowboy practices.

They've also expanded in a weird way. When they took over the old 288 route and rebranded it as Connect 88 the operator name was only in very small letters on the buses and the operator name said Vale Travel. Practically no-one had heard of Vale Travel in Cheshire East or Greater Manchester at the time. They then registered the 200, 19 and 27 as Vale Travel routes, but registered the 130 and 289 as GHA routes so services under both Vale Travel and GHA in the same area and apart from 2 Versas, 1 Dart and 1 Solo all buses used in Cheshire East usually displayed a GHA Coaches livery. Now they've moved all routes to GHA licences apart from the 27 which remains on a Vale Travel licence.

They also have premium routes like the GHA Gold 88 but only have just enough premium buses to cover those routes and all scheduled servicing is done in Ruabon. That means when servicing is due there's usually an old banger alongside 3 premium buses on the route for up to 2 weeks and in all their advertising about premium buses there's no small print disclaimer about non-premium buses being used on occasions, it gives the impression every service is always operated by a premium bus.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
D&G look to be making a lot of changes in Crewe:

PC1090231/34 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between WISTASTON GREEN and SYDNEY given service number 8/8A effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/75 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Variation Accepted: Operating between NANTWICH BUS STATION , BEAM STREET and STATION ROAD, SCHOLAR GREEN, STOKE-ON-TRENT given service number 78 effective from 29-May-2016. To amend Timetable.

PC1090231/77 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between LEIGHTON HOSPITAL, CREWE and MILLFIELDS, NANTWICH given service number 6 effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/85 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Electra Way, Crewe and Nantwich Bus Depot, Leighton Hospital given service number 1/1a/1b effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/86 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Crewe Bus Station, Delamere Street, Crewe and Crewe Bus Station, Delamere Street, Crewe given service number 7 effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/88 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Crewe Bus Station, Delamere Street, Crewe and Leighton Hospital, Smithy Lane, Crewe given service number 12 effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/90 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Crewe Bus Station and Crewe Bus Station given service number 8 effective from 29-May-2016.

PC1090231/93 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Capesthorne Road, Wistaston, Crewe
Finish Point: Capesthorne Road, Wistaston, Crewe
Via: Crewe, Sydney
Service Number: 8
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 29-MAY-2016
Other Details: Monday to Saturday

PC1090231/94 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Leighton Hospital, Smithy Lane, Crewe
Finish Point: Chestnut Avenue, Shavington, Crewe
Via: Crewe, Brookhouse Estate.
Service Number: 12

PC1090231/95 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Leighton Hospital, Smithy Lane, Crewe
Finish Point: Chestnut Avenue, Shavington, Crewe
Via: Crewe, Brookhouse Estate
Service Number: 6E
Other Details: Sunday & Bank Holidays

PC1090231/96 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Crewe Railway Station, Nantwich Road, Crewe
Finish Point: Nantwich Bus Station, Beam Street, Nantwich
Via: Crewe, Marshfield Estate
Service Number: 1A

Also on VOSA:

PC1118341/20 - ROUTEMASTER BUSES LTD, UNIT 3, GATE FARM, WETTENHALL ROAD, NANTWICH, CW5 6AL
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Crewe Bus Station and Chester Bus Exchange given service number C84 effective from 28-May-2016.

Question is will the TC take any action for it not being run for the 8 weeks before the accepted cancellation date?

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Yesterday GHA launched their new smart ticket machines on their routes into Greater Manchester for get me there use.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yesterday GHA launched their new smart ticket machines on their routes into Greater Manchester for get me there use.

Apparently on those buses ENCTS holders will no longer be given a paper ticket.

I wonder exactly which buses have them considering so many different buses can finish up on Greater Manchester services. Just the regular buses or any bus that could appear on a GM route (which would be most of what's based at Tarvin and Winsford)?

Does anyone with knowledge of the current operational and timetabling situation of GHA Coaches in this part of their operations have any news to offer on this thread?

If you haven't noticed in the Bus Wars thread GHA have withdrawn their Warrington services, the new Optare Metrocities are being moved to Shrewsbury, that together with some Routemaster drivers transferring to GHA should mean driver shortages will be less of a problem in Cheshire.
And another D&G change:

PC1090231/89 - D & G BUS LIMITED T/A D & G BUS, MOSSFIELD ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5BW
Variation Accepted: Operating between Crewe Bus Station, Delamere Street, Crewe and Nantwich Bus Station, Beam Street, Nantwich given service number 84 effective from 29-May-2016. To amend Timetable.

Established Member
Does that mean that Cheshire East have agreed a standard reimbursement rate with GHA on their patch which doesn't require destination information to be entered into the machine? I know TfGM already have one with most if not all their bus partners

northwichcat

Veteran Member
GHA livered Dart on the 88 this morning. I wonder if that has one of the new machines given it's not a bus usually used on a route going in to Greater Manchester.

SeanM1997

I don't really understand these bus changes. Can anyone explain:

- Is the 12 Leighton Hospital-Crewe Bus Station doing a straight merge with the 6 Crewe Bus Station-Shavington
- Is the only change on the 8 route being it will now serve Elm Drive throughout the day?
- The 1A Crewe Railway Station-Nantwich. Will this go from the railway station all day, and will Dunwoody Way remain to be served by any buses (currently the 1B route)
- Is the 84 increasing its frequency. What are these changes?

If anyone can answer this, and tell me of any other changes in the Crewe area it would be appreciated!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I don't really understand these bus changes. Can anyone explain:

- Is the 12 Leighton Hospital-Crewe Bus Station doing a straight merge with the 6 Crewe Bus Station-Shavington
- Is the only change on the 8 route being it will now serve Elm Drive throughout the day?
- The 1A Crewe Railway Station-Nantwich. Will this go from the railway station all day, and will Dunwoody Way remain to be served by any buses (currently the 1B route)
- Is the 84 increasing its frequency. What are these changes?

If anyone can answer this, and tell me of any other changes in the Crewe area it would be appreciated!

D&G are usually quite good at updating their website a few weeks before timetable changes so keep an eye on this page: http://dgbus.co.uk/bus-times-in-cheshire.html

Don't count on Cheshire East telling you - there's nothing about the 300 (Tomlinson Travel) evening service despite the cancellation having been accepted by the Traffic Commissioner and an email to Cheshire East sent 3 weeks ago hasn't got a response - not even an acknowledge that they are looking at options.

Established Member
I really don't understand why the 300 Knutsford Circular warrants a late evening service when most towns Poynton , Middlewich (until recently), Wilmslow, Some Macclesfield routes, Bollington (Monday-Thursday), Congleton (other than the 38), Nantwich (patchy) don't get late evening services to anywhere and Knutsford doesn't get a late evening service to anywhere but Knutsford.

The only reason I can see is it is because it is George Osborne's constituency. Knutsford would be better off with an evening service to Macclesfield or Warrington if they funded a daytime service.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I really don't understand why the 300 Knutsford Circular warrants a late evening service when most towns Poynton , Middlewich (until recently), Wilmslow, Some Macclesfield routes, Bollington (Monday-Thursday), Congleton (other than the 38), Nantwich (patchy) don't get late evening services to anywhere and Knutsford doesn't get a late evening service to anywhere but Knutsford.

The only reason I can see is it is because it is George Osborne's constituency. Knutsford would be better off with an evening service to Macclesfield or Warrington if they funded a daytime service.

The 300 evening service existed when Neil Hamilton was MP and when Martin Bell was MP. I doubt very much it's down to George Osborne considering it goes between the Longridge estate and the town centre. The demographics of the people who live on the Longridge estate are similar to those who live in Wythenshawe i.e. people who are unlikely to vote Conservative.

I agree a bus from Knutsford to somewhere else would be more useful.

I also don't understand why Macclesfield needs additional bus routes on Friday and Saturday evenings and apparently none of the other main towns in Cheshire East do.

ag51ruk

I also don't understand why Macclesfield needs additional bus routes on Friday and Saturday evenings and apparently none of the other main towns in Cheshire East do.

The last two journeys on the 84 between Crewe and Chester only operate on Friday and Saturday nights as well

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Disagree.

Just checked my Flickr page and every photo I have of a Cheshire connect liveried solo in service has a full destination display.

One of the ex-D&G Cheshire Connect Solos is on the 27 route now without a working destination display. There's pieces of paper in the front and side windows which say "27"

Thinking a bit more about this. Like I've already said it existed long before Osborne even knew where Knutsford was. I think there's two reasons why it wouldn't have got withdrawn or cutback before now.

1. The leader of Cheshire County Council was once Bert Grange. He never used the bus but lived on Boothfields (Knutsford), so near where he lived there would have been quite a few pensioners living in Bungalows very close to the route.

2. There was also a councillor called Wilson Hamman who was a retired signalman and local public transport activist, he didn't drive a car himself so regularly used both the bus and train. He lived on Lowe Drive (just off the bus route) and he reported Arriva for not properly recording concessionary pass information.

Both those councillors have passed away now so they can't help save the evening service now.

Status
Not open for further replies.