• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
There’s a rumour on a couple of Facebook pages in wilmslow that d & g are cancelling the 130 in May.
The rumour is based on fact but is in fact incorrect: D&G's submission is for de-registration of their Saturday 130 service only. The one which Cheshire East Council is subsidising for £22,360 per year (#1666).
The application (screenshot) will presumably appear on the VOSA/DVSA web site tomorrow (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notices-and-proceedings-for-the-north-west-of-england).
Lisa Reeves has done some digging on the story at http://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/20059/saturday-bus-service-at-risk.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Just seen a post on facebook saying that the 88 is going to stop serving Wilmslow station due to traffic issues. Don't know how true it is as it's on a parking page and facebook.

Martin2012

Looks as though a new Sunday and Bank Holiday service between Shavington and Northwich is being launched from 4th April. Will be operated by DG Bus

The route taken will be via Brookhouse, Crewe, Leighton Hospital, Middlewich and Winsford.

I know there was previously a Sunday service between Crewe and Shavington via Leighton up until a couple of years ago so presumably this service will restore that link but has there previously been anything between Northwich and Leighton on a Sunday?

martinsh

Established Member
I know there was previously a Sunday service between Crewe and Shavington via Leighton up until a couple of years ago so presumably this service will restore that link but has there previously been anything between Northwich and Leighton on a Sunday?

Crewe - Leighton - Winsford has had no Sunday service since deregulation in 1986 !!

Martin2012

Crewe - Leighton - Winsford has had no Sunday service since deregulation in 1986 !!
Thanks for that interesting information. I had no idea that this corridor had been without a Sunday service for that long.

So Maggie Thatcher indirectly killed it?

ShaunyFlynn

What is happening to the 391/392? Now that MCT are ceasing operations in late April. My prediction is that Stagecoach will be running the 391/392 on a council supported contract. As Stagecoach are looking to buy out Arriva in may anyway. Which personally I think would be great for Macclesfield as Stagecoach are a reliable company and the town could see more double-deckers.

ShaunyFlynn

Well, the 130 has been canceled from 2nd May, yet another loss of a vital link, this one quite shocked me as the 130 has always been full when I occasionally use it to get between Macclesfield and Wilmslow. So if no operator steps up to run the 130, that means that the only link to Wilmslow would be an back-aching 1 and a half hour ride through Knutsford.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Well, the 130 has been canceled from 2nd May, yet another loss of a vital link, this one quite shocked me as the 130 has always been full when I occasionally use it to get between Macclesfield and Wilmslow. So if no operator steps up to run the 130, that means that the only link to Wilmslow would be an back-aching 1 and a half hour ride through Knutsford.
Has this been confirmed, I can't see it anywhere?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
What is happening to the 391/392? Now that MCT are ceasing operations in late April. My prediction is that Stagecoach will be running the 391/392 on a council supported contract. As Stagecoach are looking to buy out Arriva in may anyway. Which personally I think would be great for Macclesfield as Stagecoach are a reliable company and the town could see more double-deckers.

Where on earth do you get this about Stagecoach taking over Arriva from??

daodao

Established Member
Arriva are due to be sold in May, and there are rumours of Stagecoach taking over Arriva, which is the most likely outcome, I cant see DG and High Peak taking over. and
DG are the obvious choice to take over most of Arriva's residual services in Crewe/Macclesfield/Northwich. Stagecoach might want Arriva's Chester operation, but they would avoid operating across the Greater Manchester boundary into Central and Eastern Cheshire if at all possible, where there are few commercial routes. High Peak might take over the 391/2 service (they have operated it before).
Nope, the service (130) is being completely withdrawn by D&G due to it not being viable for D&G to run, says a driver.
The cancellation of the 130 service by DG comes at any unfortunate time and I suspect won't be replaced immediately, although in the longer term a subsidised 2 hourly M-F service might be reinstated. Update 24/3/20: service 130 has now been completely withdrawn by DG with effect from 23/3/20.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
DG are the obvious choice to take over most of Arriva's residual services in Crewe/Macclesfield/Northwich. Stagecoach might want Arriva's Chester operation, but they would avoid operating across the Greater Manchester boundary into Central and Eastern Cheshire if at all possible, where there are few commercial routes.
I don't think they would want any East Cheshire ops unless it's an extension of their normal Manchester services (I do think it might be wise for them to link the 130 into a Stockport route or extend the 42B to Wilmslow but nothing much more than that.
Cheshire East is almost certainly dead in terms of bus usage.

Cheshire West like Northwich and Winsford is a possible one but it would be an outstation I think as the areas don't make a lot of money. I think the numbers have slowly dwindled as Arriva have been providing a shoddy service for a while and the service span is very small. Until the new D&G service starts, Winsford will have had no Sunday service and evenings are very limited. The area has potential to work and be busier but until the services are punctual and run to places the residents want them to, the decline to bus usage will continue.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

ShaunyFlynn

New emergency timetables for Cheshire East have just been released by Arriva North West:

2/2A - Macclesfield Bus Station - Thornton Square (Circular)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-2-2a.pdf

3 - Macclesfield Bus Station - Weston Estate (Circular)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-3.pdf

4 - Macclesfield Bus Station - Upton Priory (Circular)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-4.pdf

5/6 - Macclesfield Bus Station - Weston & Upton Priory (Circular)
ROUTE HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

6/6E - Leighton Hospital - Brookhouse Estate (Circular) (Note: Route 6E has been withdrawn.)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/winsford--ser-6.pdf

9 - Macclesfield Bus Station - Moss Rose Estate (Circular)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-9.pdf

10/10A - Macclesfield Bus Station - Bollington, Cotton Tree
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-10.pdf

21/21A - Macclesfield Bus Station - Hurdsfield Estate (Circular)
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globala...avirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-21-21a.pdf

31/31A - Crewe Bus Station - Northwich Interchange
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/winsford--ser-31a.pdf

37/37A/37E - Crewe Bus Station - Northwich Interchange
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/winsford--ser-37a.pdf

38 - Macclesfield Bus Station - Crewe Bus Station
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/macclesfield-ser-38.pdf

84 - Crewe Bus Station - Chester Bus Interchange
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globalassets/documents/coronavirus/north-west/winsford--ser-84.pdf

Just posting this so that Arriva bus users are up to date with there information.

Stay Safe out there everyone!

130 bus has been permanently scrapped. CEC TFGM and the local MP currently looking at something to not leave handforth and Wilmslow with a bus service. Why a wilmslow-handforth-heald green-wythenshawe interchange service cannot be sorted out is beyond me. Gives people access to onward bus travel and the metrolink

daodao

Established Member
130 bus has been permanently scrapped. CEC TFGM and the local MP currently looking at something to not leave handforth and Wilmslow with a bus service. Why a wilmslow-handforth-heald green-wythenshawe interchange service cannot be sorted out is beyond me. Gives people access to onward bus travel and the metrolink
The missing links are between Wilmslow and Macclesfield, and also to/from the Colshaw Farm Estate, which is what the residual route 130 served until 2 months ago. There are hourly train services from Alderley Edge to Manchester (even during the Covid crisis) calling at Wilmslow, Handforth, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.

Last edited:

spargazer

The missing links are between Wilmslow and Macclesfield, and also to/from the Colshaw Farm Estate. There are hourly train services from Alderley Edge to Manchester (even during the Covid crisis) calling at Wilmslow, Handforth, Cheadle Hulme and Stockport.
the 313 bus goes down the A555 MAELR SEMMMS Rd through Handforth but does not leave the A555, and Handforth, and Wilmslow, especially Wilmslow do actually have a very good rail service, and the trains are well used. does the micro Digi bus still serves Lacy Green? The NT Styal station is no longer is use, It is just a freight line now.

mikestone1952

In fact Styal has an hourly service in normal times. Somehow the southbound service was completely missing from the last Middleton Press publication.

spargazer

In fact Styal has an hourly service in normal times. Somehow the southbound service was completely missing from the last Middleton Press publication.
Real time trains show no services at present, no doubt normal service will be resumed soon when the new norm happens, a lot of new homes are going to appear in that area.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think we really should take some time to evaluate how much this area has been shafted in terms of services.
Only a few years ago, they had a half hourly 130 and half hourly 88. They also had the Stagecoach bus to Stockport and the hourly 200 to Manchester Airport. Over time this has dwindled down and now they are left with.... an hourly 88. Absolute joke. I believe this is a case of operators being greedy. There is no way numbers have dropped that much for no reason. I feel so sorry for Wilmslow.

I fully agree with Navigation road and I would say a link to Wythenshawe would be beneficial to the area but it won't happen because of CECs inability to work with neighboring authorities to make funding work.

Alderley Edge and south to Macc makes sense because there aren't many passengers and it's quite rural so limited possibilities to increase usage.

MY suggestion to D&G to make the routes more viable was to make the 130 Macc - Wilmslow - Altrincham and the 88 Knutsford - Wilmslow - Handforth. This then matches the potential demand for each area. Alderley Edge residents being a lot more likely to use a service to Altrincham compared to Manchester where they have the rail link. Knutsford to Colshaw Farm seemed to be relatively busy on the 88A as well. Cheshire East is just full of operators who are getting greedy and a council who don't care. There is demand there, just no one wants to adapt from the network they have had for years. It's easier to keep cutting than it is to adapt to passenger demands.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
MY suggestion to D&G to make the routes more viable was to make the 130 Macc - Wilmslow - Altrincham and the 88 Knutsford - Wilmslow - Handforth.
Good luck telling the residents of north west Knutsford and the main center of Mobberly they have to walk to their respective train stations. Lead balloon much? You should stop peddling this idea, just because something works on paper, doesn't make it work in practice.
Alderley Edge residents being a lot more likely to use a service to Altrincham compared to Manchester where they have the rail link.
You know this how? If there is the evidence, I would like to see it.
Cheshire East is just full of operators who are getting greedy and a council who don't care.
At least I agree with some part.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Good luck telling the residents of north west Knutsford and the main center of Mobberly they have to walk to their respective train stations. Lead balloon much? You should stop peddling this idea, just because something works on paper, doesn't make it work in practice.

You know this how? If there is the evidence, I would like to see it.

At least I agree with some part.
The 88 can run as current upto Wilmslow. There was no point in typing out the full route description. Would you by using a bus taking 2-3 x longer than the train? If you can't access the train station, change at Wilmslow. I am not basing it on what looks good on paper, I am basing it off the demographics of the areas, Altrincham being a place where the more wealthy shop and Alderley Edge residents being more wealthy, and the 88A which ran and seemed to carry a fair few through Wilmslow when I saw it.

It's quite clear the current bus network in Cheshire East is failing. Do you 1. let it fail and leave the area with barely any buses or 2. try to innovate and look in depth at the demographics and journey opportunities which people make to create a network which does the best it can.
1 is the east option, 2 is the option no one wants to do because it requires risks and hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.