• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester - Crewe trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejayd

I read online that we’re getting old London Underground d78 stock for Chester - Crewe. Some of it being 40 years old.

Chris Grayling was on the news saying we’d be getting new trains in the North West. Since when are 40 year old trains new?

I guess this is related to having English rail managed by Wales. I can understand the decision makers in South Wales don’t give two houts about Chester users travelling to Crewe.

Around we go again

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Chris Gayling was on the news

Surely that's offensive - I mean to the gay community.

More seriously the new Wales & Borders franchise are acquiring D-Trains, eventually they'll be used to provide a half-hourly service between Bidston and Wrexham but initially they'll be used to provide an hourly Borderlands service, as well as being used on Crewe-Chester and Conwy Valley, to allow the 150s to be cascaded South to replace Pacers. Medium term (by 2022) it'll either be 170s or brand new trains on Chester-Crewe services but the D-Trains are intended as a long term solution for Bidston to Wrexham

6Gman

Established Member
I read online that we’re getting old London Underground d78 stock for Chester - Crewe. Some if it being 40 years old.

Chris Grayling was on the news saying we’d be getting new trains in the North West. Since when are 40 year old trains new?

I guess this is related to having English rail managed by Wales. I can understand the decision makers in South Wales don’t give two houts about Chester users travelling to Crewe.

Around we go again

As a regular user of the Crewe - Chester shuttle I'm really not bothered by their age. So long as they're reliable and comfortable.

Elecman

Established Member
Well there’s no5 much that will be old left on them after fully rebuild by Vivarail, only the actual physical body shells, the interior and traction equipment will be brand new and the bogies are only 10 years old or thereabouts.

leejayd

How long will air con, charges for phone, WiFi last I wonder - seats look like they won’t last too. I suppose I have bad memories about the last time an old shell was used to build a new train (pacers)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How long will air con, charges for phone, WiFi last I wonder - seats look like they won’t last too. I suppose I have bad memories about the last time an old shell was used to build a new train (pacers)

Pacers were new-build. The closest we ever got to the 230 before was something like the 442s being fitted with used traction gear from the 4-REP units, or the abortive Networker Classic project which involved a new monocoque body being mounted on a Mk1 EMU chassis.

The seats appear to be the originals which have managed to last 30+ years so far!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Chris Grayling wouldn't have been talking about Chester-Crewe, as that is a Wales & Borders service (except for the alternate VT Voyagers which won't change).
He was probably talking about the new Chester-Leeds service to be run by Northern with (eventually) new CAF DMU trains.
Anyway the ex-LU trains (class 230) are only an interim on the Chester-Crewe service until W&B gets its own new CAF DMUs (based at Chester) which are replacing 175s and 158s.
The new Chester-Runcorn-Liverpool service will initially be run by existing trains.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Should this line be managed by an English operator?

We've had that debate and the answer was to keep it with W&B like Shrewsbury-Birmingham (long-distance services stay with Virgin).
Operators aren't "English" or "Welsh", but the Welsh Government lets the Wales & Borders franchise, DfT lets most others.
DfT (ie Grayling) retains a veto on changes to W&B services outside Wales.
So far he has if anything set the bar lower than the Welsh Government on those services, not specifying anything new beyond the hourly local Chester-Liverpool service.

Last edited:

tomuk

Established Member
but the D-Trains are intended as a long term solution for Bidston to Wrexham
The long term plan is to transfer Wrexham-Bidston to Merseyrail and run the service with the new Stadler 777 units. There will be a later bimode/battery batch with possible electrification to Heswall.

Metal_gee_man

Does this look like a London Underground Train?
Design-Configuration-06.jpg

mmh

Established Member

It looks like yet another artists impression, but nothing like the artists impressions used by Transport For Wales, which feature seating straight out of an Underground train. I'll believe it won't look like a London Underground train when I see a real picture - all of the real pictures of 230s / D-Trains so far have looked very much like refurbished Underground trains.

When will the first TFW one appear?

Jonfun

Established Member
It looks like yet another artists impression, but nothing like the artists impressions used by Transport For Wales, which feature seating straight out of an Underground train. I'll believe it won't look like a London Underground train when I see a real picture - all of the real pictures of 230s / D-Trains so far have looked very much like refurbished Underground trains.

When will the first TFW one appear?

We keep being told that "trains are just a bodyshell" and that with a full refurbishment a train can come out 'as new' and be whatever you want to make it.

But has this ever actually happened? The closest I think is the SWR 455s which have been refitted really nicely inside. Even so, they are still very definitely a dated train.

daikilo

Established Member
We keep being told that "trains are just a bodyshell" and that with a full refurbishment a train can come out 'as new' and be whatever you want to make it.

But has this ever actually happened? The closest I think is the SWR 455s which have been refitted really nicely inside. Even so, they are still very definitely a dated train.

I agree that any train can be made to look new, but any politician who says that say a 769 or a 230 is new is lying. If only they would tell the truth.

Cambrian359

I read online that we’re getting old London Underground d78 stock for Chester - Crewe. Some of it being 40 years old.

Around we go again
Did you read that on the daily post site? They’ve been stirring things up again today with their usual misleading headlines ,Crewe to Chester will get bran new trains from about 2023

mmh

Established Member
Stirring things up or just reporting facts? They are re-tractioned and refurbished 40 year old 60mph ex-London Underground trains.

Spartacus

Established Member
Let's have Class 101 power triples attempting to keep to 175 timings :wub:

mmh

Established Member
Hah, yes. Can we have a sweepstake on when a 230 first appears on the coast or the marches line? After all it's not unknown for a 150 to replace a 175 on both!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Design-Configuration-06.jpg

Where did you find that? That is not the proposed layout that was shown in the KeolisAmey literature, which is like this:

Image_2_-_interior.jpg

Class 230 interior with original seating

Those seats appear to be Fainsa ironing boards, the armrest is quite distinctive. It also doesn't show the "walk through" gangways TfW have specified but LNR may or may not have done.

That looks more like the description (I've not seen any pictures) of the planned LNR layout.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Chester-Crewe is not one all-day shuttle.
There are several different diagrams which put other trains on the route, working to/from places like Birmingham, Holyhead, Swansea and Manchester (positioning for the Marches service).
These are mainly early and late, and includes the current LHCS.
The second train on the route is the Voyager service from Euston.
So no way is the service going to be all-230s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hah, yes. Can we have a sweepstake on when a 230 first appears on the coast or the marches line? After all it's not unknown for a 150 to replace a 175 on both!

About the same time we see a LNR one running Euston to Northampton fasts, i.e. probably never. There are only going to be 5 of them (4 diagrammed, one spare), it's just a case of finding a use for 2 of those until the Borderlands timetable enhancements start.

Status
Not open for further replies.