• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester station evacuated 14/03/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Chester station has apparently been evacuated tonight.

⚠️#Chester - An ongoing safety incident with a train in a platform at Chester station means that the station has had to be evacuated, as a precaution the emergency services have also been requested to attend.

All trains are unable to run to / from and through Chester.

https://twitter.com/nationalrailenq/status/1238923827628969987?s=21

I had a look on http://www.opentraintimes.com to see whats in and there’s something labelled “DMIC” on 4b, don’t know if that’s anything to do with it?

3E70783A-AA3C-4845-B69B-F12B788D48CD.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bow Fell

158 unable to be shut down with engine problems. Fire Brigade / BTP on site.

Bow Fell

All sorted. Unit made safe.

The concern was the engine wasn’t shutting down despite every effort by fitters.

Saperstein

Hopefully won’t be too long before things get moving again, I can imagine it might be a bit uncomfortable for some stuck on waiting trains for any length of time in the current climate.

One train has already turned back (Wrexham), two others stuck on the approach to Chester from the Frodsham direction, another from the Crewe direction.

Every North Wales station is occupied by a service as far as Rhyl but at least there in stations.

At least it didn’t happen in the middle of rush hour!

Saperstein

All starting to move now, throughout the incident Merseyrail were starting and terminating at Bache.

They must have been running ECS into Chester to change ends, can’t tell from RTT.

Bow Fell

All starting to move now, throughout the incident Merseyrail were starting and terminating at Bache.

They must have been running ECS into Chester to change ends, can’t tell from RTT.

Turning back at CR405 outside of Chester. Nothing was allowed into Chester due to severe concerns about the 158.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'll hazard a guess it was the 158 to work 1K70 1937 Chester to Crewe which was cancelled due traction reasons. This unit detaches from another 158 on 1J70 1730 Holyhead to Shrewsbury,

father_jack

Yes it was 158822 which came off 1J70.
Was revving for 20 minutes after arrival. Station filled with fumes, fiiters attended and couldn't shut down.

Aside, does anyone mechanically minded know if a 158 engine can "run away", ie the engine burns all it's sump oil. Switching off does no good.

Found this on youtube, excuse the people effing and jeffing but one of them explains what I'm asking about

Last edited by a moderator:

1955LR

If for some reason lubricating oil gets into the inlet ,such as a blown turbo, the engine will carry on running. When I worked at Land Rover we could have it happen on one engine with cold oil, it could build up in the top of the engine & overflow into the engine breather system and thus the combustion chamber.

Llama

Established Member
Pretty sure 158822 will have a Perkins 2006-TWH engine, can anyone confirm? One main difference between the Perkins and Cummins engines on the 158s is the Cummins uses solenoids to control the fuel rack, the Perkins uses an air driven piston IIRC.

I've often wondered whether one of these type of engines can 'runaway', now we seem to know.

craigybagel

Established Member
Pretty sure 158822 will have a Perkins 2006-TWH engine, can anyone confirm? One main difference between the Perkins and Cummins engines on the 158s is the Cummins uses solenoids to control the fuel rack, the Perkins uses an air driven piston IIRC.

I've often wondered whether one of these type of engines can 'runaway', now we seem to know.

822 is indeed a Perkins unit, in common with the rest of the TfW fleet

Bovverboy

Established Member
At least the person replying on Twitter seems to have their priorities right.

Do you know which unit it is?

I despair.

I don't think there's anything morbid about wanting to know the unit i.d., it's only natural. Knowing the unit i.d. isn't going to prolong the incident.
Everyone knows which locos were involved in the Great Train Robbery, and the Great Heck/Hatfield incidents.

theironroad

Established Member
I don't think there's anything morbid about wanting to know the unit i.d., it's only natural. Knowing the unit i.d. isn't going to prolong the incident.
Everyone knows which locos were involved in the Great Train Robbery, and the Great Heck/Hatfield incidents.

No one is saying it has to be kept a secret , but with 1 person staffing an info control desk in control to include tweeting, it's a higher priority to be dealing with passengers trying to get from a to b etc rather than an enthusiast sitting in their armchair frothing about the unit number that's smoking.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Engine runaway, think it only happens on diesels when the engine is self powered by it's own oil. The only way you can stop it is to starve the air supply otherwise wait for it's own eventual destruction

krus_aragon

Established Member
The concern was the engine wasn’t shutting down despite every effort by fitters.
This had me thinking of an incident I had with my car a few winters ago. The windshield was frosted over, so I started the engine, then got out to scrape the windows clear. As I closed the door, the central locking triggered, locking me out with the engine running! :/

O L Leigh

Established Member
Surely it wouldn’t have taken as long as 20 minutes for the engine to consume all its oil...?

If this happens on a road vehicle the engine can be stopped by stalling it. Foot hard on the brake, select a nice high gear and then let the clutch out. If you’re quick enough this might just prevent the engine from destroying itself.

Crossover

Established Member
Aside, does anyone mechanically minded know if a 158 engine can "run away", ie the engine burns all it's sump oil. Switching off does no good.

I’m not an expert, but it was over various social media groups with the suggestion that the engine had run away (I think blown turbo may have been mentioned, too)

Crossover

Established Member
If this happens on a road vehicle the engine can be stopped by stalling it. Foot hard on the brake, select a nice high gear and then let the clutch out. If you’re quick enough this might just prevent the engine from destroying itself.

I presume this isn’t quite so easy on an automatic?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I’m not an expert, but it was over various social media groups with the suggestion that the engine had run away (I think blown turbo may have been mentioned, too)

A diesel engine works by compressing the oil (diesel) and air mixture to such a high pressure, that the heat produced by the compression ignites the mixture. To stop a diesel engine, the oil (diesel) supply is cut off.

When a diesel engine runs away, it is sometimes because oil is entering the combustion chamber by other means, usually via a faulty turbo where oil seals have failed and sump (engine lubrication) oil is being burned, hence the copious amounts of smoke. The only way to stop the engine without outside intervention, is when all this sump oil is burned away or the engine mechanically destroys itself by a combination of over revving and lack of lubricating oil (as it is being burnt by the engine). In either event, the engine is normally scrap after anything other than a very short episode.

In a petrol engine, the fuel/mixture is ignited by an electrical spark, so the same thing cant happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.