• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterfield - Aberdeen via London

Status
Not open for further replies.

portervalley

I'm using the sleeper to / from Aberdeen next month from Euston. To avoid a late night / early morning at Crewe I'm travelling from Chesterfield via St Pancras / Euston.

I've bought the sleeper fare already Euston - Aberdeen and back. I'm now looking into buying advance singles from Chesterfield to London and back to connect with the sleeper. A couple of questions:

1. If I buy an advanced fare from Chesterfield to Euston would this allow travel on the underground between St Pancras and Euston?

2. How does the fact that I've split my ticket into two parts (Chesterfield - London / London - Aberdeen) affect my ability to travel on a later train if I miss the second train due to a delay with the first train. This is especially the case with the return journey. I am considering booking a St Pancras - Chesterfield train leaving London between 9 and 10am. (The sleeper is due into Euston at 07.45). Would EMT allow me onto a later train for no extra cost with an advanced fare in the event that the sleeper was severely delayed even though I don't have a through ticket from Aberdeen to Chesterfield?

Any replies gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
1. No (your ticket would be not to Euston, but to "London Terminals", meaning, in this case, the first terminal you arrive at. You'd need a ticket to London U1 (or U12) to allow the onward tube travel. Although it's not a long walk between Euston and St Pancras, although I understand why that might be unattractive if you've substantial luggage.

2. In theory that should be fine. But I'll leave more exact answers to people more familiar with the exact formal position, and how such things are typically managed.

Diplodicus

The distance to walk from StP to Eus is probably not much different to getting to the tube and then ascending the three escalators to Euston Concorde.

SS4

Established Member
The distance to walk from StP to Eus is probably not much different to getting to the tube and then ascending the three escalators to Euston Concorde.

Indeed but if that were me I'd get the 205 bus.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1. If I buy an advanced fare from Chesterfield to Euston would this allow travel on the underground between St Pancras and Euston?
An Advance fare from Chesterfield to ZONE U1* LONDN would allow you travel on the Underground.

Though it's questionable whether spending 3 minutes of navigating passageways and escalators, 2 minutes average time to wait for a train, 1 minute on a train, and 3 minutes of navigating passageways and escalators is worth it, when you can walk it in 9 minutes via Brill Place/Phoenix Road; See map.

An Advance fare from Chesterfield to London Terminals would not include the Underground.
2. How does the fact that I've split my ticket into two parts (Chesterfield - London / London - Aberdeen) affect my ability to travel on a later train if I miss the second train due to a delay with the first train. This is especially the case with the return journey. I am considering booking a St Pancras - Chesterfield train leaving London between 9 and 10am. (The sleeper is due into Euston at 07.45). Would EMT allow me onto a later train for no extra cost with an advanced fare in the event that the sleeper was severely delayed even though I don't have a through ticket from Aberdeen to Chesterfield?.
You're covered. See RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 1 - Ticket Types & Conditions: 1.1.3 Advance Tickets
Another common question is:
I am combining tickets; am I covered in the event of a delay?
As long as you have allowed the minimum connection time at the station where you are combining tickets, then this is treated as a valid through journey and the same conditions apply as above, i.e. in the event of a delay you may take later trains in compliance with the route or train company restriction shown on your ticket.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A mininum of 38 minutes is required between your two trains at Euston and St Pancras in order for your connection to be an official one. As long as you have allowed this amount of time, you are covered in the event of delays.

Mr Spock

Indeed but if that were me I'd get the 205 bus.

If getting a bus from St Pancras you would e better off getting a 59 or 476 as both of these go into Euston bus station whereas the 205 stops on Euston Road.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

The quickest route between the two stations is, as Yorkie says, via Phoenix Road. This is quicker than the tube or the bus as you end up at the north end of St Pancras, right by the domestic concourse and platforms. I can do the walk, with luggage, in less than 10 minutes (I've done it in five before, when I was rushing for a train out of Euston). You'd not be walking much less than that if you took the tube.

As bb21 says, if the sleeper is late then you're covered so long as you leave the minimum connection time between the two stations. If you're travelling on a first class sleeper fare you can use the first class lounge at Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.