• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterfield to Sheffield commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Hi all,

I will soon need to commute between Chesterfield and Sheffield three days per week at peak times. I have so far learned the following:

• An Anytime Day Return costs £6.40, so that'd work out at £19.20 a week (except in July and August when I could use a railcard discount).
  • An annual season would be £1,096.00 which works out at about £21 per week, but I'd consider the extra couple of pounds worth that for the added flexibility of being able to travel for leisure (and would also get EMT Perks).
  • In terms of buying 'monthly' season tickets with a few extra days to avoid paying for weekends I don't work, I can't see any real benefit in the cost that'd be worth losing the flexibility or the EMT Perks.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any input on how I can get the best value for money here. Incidentally for £663 I can get an annual bus ticket, which also includes all Stagecoach buses in the Sheffield and Chesterfield areas as well as the tram in Sheffield. This is clearly much better value, but I'm willing to consider any suggestions regarding rail travel prices as it'd be much more convenient for commuting.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Would you have any rail use the other four days of the week?

Incidentally I'm shocked at the price of an Alfreton to Meadowhall annual season of £1924.

talltim

Established Member
I've done the Chesterfield-Sheffield commute for the last 12 years, but as I work 5 days a week my situation is a bit different.
It used to be a that a season to Dore was cheaper than Sheffield, but they seem to have twigged onto that and raised the price to match the Sheffield ticket.
I've considered commuting by bus, I hadn't realised that it was that much cheaper and the X17 goes fairly near my house, but I like the turn up and go convenience to the train (5 per hour) and well, it involves travelling by bus...
What I actually do is buy period seasons up the Friday after the month season end, however this is mainly because I can't afford the hit of the annual in one go and I would go for the annual if I could.

I'd not considered the EMT perks, although looking at them I probably wouldn't have much use for them anyway. Interestingly the T&Cs say
EMT Perks is only available to Season Ticket holders who travel with East Midlands Trains. Minimum Annual Season Ticket value of £500 applies. Season Ticket must have been purchased on or after 1 December 2014 or alternatively a Season Ticket must have been held with East Midlands Trains for two consecutive years or more. Routes between Sheffield-Manchester-Liverpool (including all intermediate stations), Derby and Nottingham, and between Bedford, Luton, Luton Airport Parkway to/from London St Pancras International are excluded.
I could have a season ticket and never actually use one of the EMT services that are covered (i.e catch XC or Northern) I wonder why Sheffield-Liverpool isn't covered?

Edit- I've been looking at the Stagecoach Annual Megariders. I already have a SY Travelmaster Gold from work, I was trying to work out out if I could combine it with a Chesterfield Megarider or Megarider plus but the Zone map links on the Stagecoach site aren't actually zone maps.
They also don't say that they are for bus only, the Chesterfield Megarider says
Available for use on all Stagecoach services in Chesterfield within the boundaries of Dronfield, Norton, Eckington, Spinkhill, Mastin Moor, Hillstown, Holmewood, Lower Pilsley, Clay Cross, Kelstedge and Holymoorside. Valid at all times.
which would imply they can be used on EMT services Chesterfield-Dronfield

Anyway I think it really depends what your answer to 34D's question is. Are you likely to do the trip an extra 16 or so times in a year?

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Could whereabouts you need to be in Sheffield and Chesterfield also be a factor in this?

Whereas Sheffield rail and bus stations are both fairly central, Chesterfield's railway station involves a walk from the centre.

You don't state your location in Chesterfield, but if you would have to get a lift/walk/bus to the station, might it not be more convenient to get a bus straight to Sheffield?

Just a thought.

lyesbkz

Thanks for all of your comments so far.

Would you have any rail use the other four days of the week?

I would most likely travel on at least one more day each week, and more in some weeks. Although it wouldn't be at peak times, so a railcard off-peak day return would be £3.35.

Edit- I've been looking at the Stagecoach Annual Megariders. I already have a SY Travelmaster Gold from work, I was trying to work out out if I could combine it with a Chesterfield Megarider or Megarider plus but the Zone map links on the Stagecoach site aren't actually zone maps.

Some parts of the Stagecoach bus website are more helpful than others. Selecting the 52 week ticket option seems to be the only way to bring up the terms for the Sheffield Megarider Plus:

Available for use on all Stagecoach bus and Supertram services in Sheffield (valid for travel on the entire route on bus services: 20,20A,25,35A,43,43A, 44,44A,50/50A,52,58, 78,79,83,87,88,88A,89,120,123,X57 Stocksbridge Supertram Link & Stannington Supertram Link Buses and Stagecoach Supertram. Valid for travel part route on the following services: 53 Sheffield to Eckington Bus Station, 69 Sheffield to Tinsley, 70/71 Killamarsh/Norwood to Eckington, 215 Sheffield to Ecclesall Road South,Bents Road, 265 Sheffield to Chapeltown Norfolk Arms and X17 Sheffield to Walton, Back Lane/Brampton. Not valid on N52 night bus. This ticket is also valid for local travel anywhere within the Chesterfield Megarider area. Please see Chesterfield map for services within Chesterfield megarider area. Valid at all times between the dates shown on the ticket. Not valid on First buses in Sheffield

Anyway I think it really depends what your answer to 34D's question is. Are you likely to do the trip an extra 16 or so times in a year?

Yes.

Could whereabouts you need to be in Sheffield and Chesterfield also be a factor in this?

They have the same effect on the Chesterfield end, but in Sheffield the bus would take me slightly nearer where I wanted to be (although not nearly enough to make up the extra time the bus takes over the train).

Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
I've been looking at the Stagecoach Annual Megariders. I already have a SY Travelmaster Gold from work, I was trying to work out out if I could combine it with a Chesterfield Megarider or Megarider plus but the Zone map links on the Stagecoach site aren't actually zone maps.

The drop down terms for the Chesterfield Megarider Plus suggest it's valid between Chesterfield and "Norton", which presumably means the stop by Meadowhead roundabout on the X17, so you ought to be able to use one of those in combination with a travelmaster to do Sheffield to Chesterfield on the X17.

A Sheffield Megarider Plus (as opposed to a Chesterfield one) definitely covers the journey on its own, but that would be more expensive.

talltim

Established Member
Thanks for all of your comments so far.

I would most likely travel on at least one more day each week, and more in some weeks. Although it wouldn't be at peak times, so a railcard off-peak day return would be £3.35.

That one extra trip a week would make the annual worth it, the difference between it and individual returns is less than one railcard discounted trip. Although you have to take in to consideration the days you don't travel (annual leave, off sick, etc) and the railcard discount you can get in the summer. There's also the convenience to consider, the queues at Chesterfield don;t tend to be bad, but it's one less thing to do in the morning.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I could have a season ticket and never actually use one of the EMT services that are covered (i.e catch XC or Northern) I wonder why Sheffield-Liverpool isn't covered?

Presumably because Sheffield - Liverpool fares are set by TPE, not EMT. Similarly Bedford - London is set by GTR.

talltim

Established Member
The drop down terms for the Chesterfield Megarider Plus suggest it's valid between Chesterfield and "Norton", which presumably means the stop by Meadowhead roundabout on the X17, so you ought to be able to use one of those in combination with a travelmaster to do Sheffield to Chesterfield on the X17.

hmm, I could halve my commute cost, and have to walk less distance, but at the expense of a longer journey, with a less frequent service, and on a bus...

LuSiVe

Sheffield to Chesterfield on the X17 is valid the whole way with a £55.50 / month Stagecoach Sheffield Megarider Plus. It's not that painful a journey, and, at least for me because of the distance I am from Chesterfield station, is quicker than the train mostly. The only pain is the last quick one back from Sheffield is ~7.20pm :(

They're nice shiny gold buses with free wifi though...

MichaelAMW

Presumably because Sheffield - Liverpool fares are set by TPE, not EMT. Similarly Bedford - London is set by GTR.

For clarity, if it's useful, I think that restriction only applies to the *purchase* of the ticket - you can use the "perk" on any EMT train. Sorry if that's stating the obvious or if I've missed it elsewhere in the thread.

LuSiVe

That's another thing I keep forgetting. After then it takes over an hour on the 50 or longer on the 43/44 :(

And that's yet another point. No free wifi on the train. Although for the journey time it'd barely be useful anyway!

I never get the 50 for fear of it breaking down in the middle of absolute nowhere :)

For all the money I save not getting the train back daily I do allow myself the occasional evening one rather than the 43....

lyesbkz

Another question I had about this - I could choose between a Stagecoach Smart card or a paper ticket.

I've always been a fan of paper tickets as they can't suddenly break. The card is more durable but I don't always trust these things...

Am I right in believing the Smart card must be accepted by all operators on the route including Northern given that it is Any Permitted?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

For the benefit of anybody reading this thread who may have similar questions, I have just spoken to East Midlands Trains.

They have confirmed that the smart card should be valid on all services regardless of TOC and that it can certainly be used on East Midlands Trains and CrossCountry services but that there have been issues with Northern who do not have the equipment to verify the ticket on the smart card and therefore require that a new ticket be purchased...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.