• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Main Line diversions via the Metropolitan line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
I was in the cab of a Met line earlier and we were held at Harrow-on-the-Hill because of a non stopping chiltern passing through northbound. The destination board of the Chiltern said B'ham Snow Hill, so the train was being diverted via the metropolitan line because of the signalling problems on the Chiltern line at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone knows more about this and how often it happens.

I know it was done like that during the Gerrards X tunnel collapse too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavyCrocket

It's done every now and again, so long as the train is fitted with tripcocks it's okay. The Chiltern control just phone up the LU service controller and ask! And in return they are sometimes kind enough to get their trains to make additional stops at LU stations (including Moor Park) if their help is needed!

Daniel

Established Member
It is quite fun being in Harrow-on-the-Hill signal cabin, when a random train drops on the Chiltern section and no-ones told you about it...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Minimum of 8 minutes for both reversals plus the time it takes to trundle along the single line between Aylesbury and Risborough, which is probably 12 minutes. Id bet it adds a fair bit.

bengley

Established Member
Minimum of 8 minutes for both reversals plus the time it takes to trundle along the single line between Aylesbury and Risborough, which is probably 12 minutes. Id bet it adds a fair bit.

Still better than taking a replacement bus :D

bengley

Established Member
In my experience, passengers are normally very tolerant of a diversion as opposed to changing to and from a bus on the direct route.
Yeah, providing I get to go where I planned, I find diversions to be rather fun.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's all happening again. Signalling problems again.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Yeah, providing I get to go where I planned, I find diversions to be rather fun.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's all happening again. Signalling problems again.

Power failure at Wembley around 1330. Snow Hill services diverted via Aylesbury with a reversal. I was caught up in this heading for Gerrards Cross, ended up getting an Aylesbury service via Rickmansworth to Amersham and a taxi from there as there were no buses in evidence!

Bit of an adventure I guess but am a bit cross at being £20 out of pocket for a taxi as I was in a hurry! Not their fault I know.

Some services seemed to be running when I got back to Gerrards Cross at 3.

Established Member
In my experience, passengers are normally very tolerant of a diversion as opposed to changing to and from a bus on the direct route.

Usually more people travel on the HST diversion on the Tyne Valley line when the ECML is shut north of Newcastle than compared to if buses are on instead. I've heard many a person change their travel plans when they find out about replacement buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.