• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Oxford Link completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The current Bicester North terminators are pretty useless for actually getting to and from Bicester, as they almost invariably only get in a minute or two before the next fast train.

Like Bletchley/MKC it's often more civilised to take the slower train starting there for the certainty of a seat, though.

Also, if it takes some of the Bicester Village traffic off the roads, many people will be delighted!

Fair point.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The split between stations is a bit of a pain in the backside, especially if they keep to the draft timetable which left some gaps at North, but the big win is the improvement to the Oxford service. The previous service was pretty infrequent and painfully slow - many journeys were quicker by bus after factoring in the bus stops being closer to where you wanted to go at both ends. The new, faster and more frequent service is not only good for getting to Oxford but opens up much easier opportunities for onward travel.

Many will still go by bus given what you say about the location of the stops. I can't see demand to Oxford being high from locals rather than tourists.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Like Bletchley/MKC it's often more civilised to take the slower train starting there for the certainty of a seat, though.

Good point, although these days the only time getting a seat seems to be a problem is weekend mornings. The peak loadings seem to have eased slightly since the landslip.

Despite being slow, the morning service was mobbed as it was far more reliable than any bus on the A34 coud be.

The split will be quite interesting as there are numerous variables - convenience varies depending on where you live, traffic congestion's an issue in the peak; the train was cheaper than the bus off-peak but can't see that continuing (or being justified), and the bus also had a much nicer interior than the train, which will less noticeable with 168s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Four trains an hour, over London Rd crossing. Bicester will love that!

...and that's just the start, a few more years and EWR will then add at least another 4 and possibly 6 per hour - plus any extra freight.

But there are places with more trains per hour than that over level crossings...

Haydn1971

Established Member
Could anyone confirm the state of construction at Bicester Town Station ? I've seen photos of the new station building on Wikipedia, but has clearance began on the area where the car park will be ?

giblets

Just a bit of an update, literally just passed the Bicester chord, the line up is basically complete, but still not connected to the main line N-S

midlandred

From today's Oxford Mail : http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/12..._up_by_row_over_impact_on_homes/?ref=mr&lp=18

Oxford Mail said:
New rail link could be held up by row over impact on homes

THE introduction of direct services between Oxford Station and London Marylebone could be delayed by a row about noise and vibration.

It was revealed last week that Chiltern Railways planned to start running services from Oxford Parkway, at Water Eaton, to London from the end of October.

From next spring the rail operator also hopes to link its new station with Oxford Station, allowing a direct route from the city centre and eventually passenger services along the Cowley branch line.

But opening up that section to Chiltern Railways trains would require Network Rail to double up the tracks through Wolvercote Tunnel in North Oxford.

The work was approved in 2012, but cannot begin until Oxford City Council discharges the firm of “condition 19”, which concerns noise and vibration mitigation.

Senior rail figures hoped this could happen at a planning committee meeting on May 19, but it emerged this week it was cancelled due to major changes to the scheme – moving the location of proposed points.

Chiltern Railways has warned that if the track work does not get the go-ahead by June, it would have a knock-on effect and there would not be enough time to carry out works to link Oxford Parkway with Oxford Station by next spring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's the same reason why we have a housing crisis in this country.

Everybody agrees that we need more houses. Everybody also agrees that those houses should be built somewhere else.

VisualAcid

Living near points was like the worst year of my life tbh, as the worst trains tend to come at night. (My choice of house was limited by my studentness before anyone says its my fault)

davetheguard

Established Member
Living near points was like the worst year of my life tbh, as the worst trains tend to come at night. (My choice of house was limited by my studentness before anyone says its my fault)

If that's the worst thing that ever happens in your life you're a lucky person.

Put it in perspective: all round the world people are dying of disease & starvation; people are being bombed or driven from their homes; or suffering the effects of natural disasters and losing all their belongings or even all their close family.

Does that set of points seem quite so bad in comparison?

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
This one does have a bit of a twist to it even if it is people in very expensive houses and clout complaining, it isnt a clean cut case of "the railway was there first", yes the line was but the points weren't. Im not sure how much use they will really get in reality anyway as they are there to allow the bi di working. Granted there is a initial phase as part of OARS where there is the single line section up to Woodstock Rd junction.

Andyjs247

They are mostly complaining about freight trains IIRC. There's going to be precious little in the way of freight anyway until EWR opens in 2019, there's not really anything new that hasn't been discussed already or any new freight trains that haven't already run for that matter (they already get loaded stone trains running to Banbury Road). I don't really see any reason why it can't be signed off.

Yes there will be more trains in total but I don't see that there will be any more vibration, in particular given the brand new infrastructure. (Spoken as someone who used to live close to point work on the GWML - the most noticeable trains were the up loaded stone trains in the early hours.)

midlandred

Oddington update:

Looking north-east

Looking south-west

Caught site of a ballast train between Oddington and Islip this morning, so changed our plans and walked part of the Oxfordshire Way to obtain these photographs of ballast and sleeper laying at Brookfurlong Farm

Bicester London Road/Town/Village Station revisited this morning - seven photos added, beginning with this one

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
Thinking about London rd, would a dive under be possible instead of th LC or a flyover?
Is there another possible crossing point where either could more easily achieved.?

Overload

Buttsy

Established Member
Yup. Still does.

Especially if the pumps pack up on a rainy day... The river is about the same level and quite close here so there isn't a great deal of headroom from the water table.

I remember the road being lowered here and the bridge replaced in the late 70s so bigger buses could get under it. Still see trucks trying to go under that are too tall, you can see teh scrpes on the warning strip.

Problem with London rd crossing is the close proximity of local housing and businesses. There's just no space to accommodate either a bridge or underpass.

I suppose an underpass could be squeezed in, but the aforementioned lack of space would mean that it couldn't be built while keeping the road open. So it would probably mean a 12-18 month road closure to allow construction. Cue even louder complaints!

On the flooding risk, the adjacent stream is not on the scale of the Thames, and the crossing looks like it's about 10-15ft above water level. But it would still be at risk in heavy rain.

Best to just let people get used to the more frequent use of the barriers coming down and let them figure out other alternative routes into town in the meantime.

This seems to be the council's plan, alongside potential longer term alternative road routes. Although there's nothing in the Local Transport Plan more specific than "Working with the rail industry and developers to deliver solutions at the Charbridge Lane and London Road railway level crossing points to enable more rail services operating to and from Bicester as a result of East West Rail and anticipated growth in rail freight without causing excessive traffic delay. These improvements are critical in order to manage traffic flows and impacts on the wider road network."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The drawings presented to the TWA Order inquiry (I linked to them back in this thread, see below) included a number of options for an over bridge in the vicinity, but there was no mention of an underpass at all. An online underpass (i.e. on the present road alignment) would remove all the front access to buildings either side of the railway, it probably wasn't considered for more than a few minutes.

Link to post with TWA drawings: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1696323&postcount=573

Last edited:

Andyjs247

The drawings presented to the TWA Order inquiry (I linked to them back in this thread, see below) included a number of options for an over bridge in the vicinity, but there was no mention of an underpass at all. An online underpass (i.e. on the present road alignment) would remove all the front access to buildings either side of the railway, it probably wasn't considered for more than a few minutes.

Link to post with TWA drawings: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1696323&postcount=573

I'm sure there was at least one option which included an underbridge to replace London Road crossing. I expect that (remember EWR was not on the cards then) 4tph was considered acceptable for the level crossing to remain. So the alternatives were not pursued in detail as being "too difficult". But now that it's going to be maybe 10tph with EWR as well, the equation changes.

I don't think anything has been ruled in or out yet. A quick Google search suggests Oxfordshire County Council are considering the following solutions to Bicester London Road Crossing:

A new all-modes road bridge across the railway (or road underpass plus pedestrian overbridge) at London Road. Alternatively a new link road from the A41 overbridge to London Road (and pedestrian overbridge) or a new link road from Charbridge Road to Launton Road (plus pedestrian overbridge).

jimm

Established Member
An example of why a dive under is not the best solution.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10566628.Flash_floods_and_lightning_bring_respite_to_heatwave/

Problem with London rd crossing is the close proximity of local housing and businesses. There's just no space to accommodate either a bridge or underpass.

Best to just let people get used to the more frequent use of the barriers coming down and let them figure out other alternative routes into town in the meantime.

Sorry, but trying to make comparisons between Bicester and Botley Road really isn't on. As noted by others, the River Thames is in close proximity to Botley Road and the surrounding area is a flood plain, unlike the centre of Bicester, hence the flooding problem...

There are recent examples, such as Tipton in the West Midlands, of new underpasses being provided to replace level crossings because of the growth in rail traffic - and whether it is an underpass or bridge, London Road is not going to be sustainable as a level crossing once East West opens as the barriers will be down far more than they are up, so someone is going to have to settle on a solution and start looking for funding fairly soon, however disruptive it may be and however difficult the location

Overload

Sure, the example I used is a bit extreme but it doesn't mean Bicester can't suffer from floods because the town has a network of streams going thru and around the place which have caused problems in the past. How do I know? Cos I live in the *#%@ hole!!! Lol.

I like the example of Tipton and it does show to me, an underpass can work. Maybe, just maybe have it low enough for tall cars and vans only and then it wouldn't encroach too much on the surrounding properties for it to work unlike a underpass fit for hgv and buses.

L&Y Robert

Sure, the example I used is a bit extreme but it doesn't mean Bicester can't suffer from floods because the town has a network of streams going thru and around the place which have caused problems in the past. How do I know? Cos I live in the *#%@ hole!!! Lol.

I like the example of Tipton and it does show to me, an underpass can work. Maybe, just maybe have it low enough for tall cars and vans only and then it wouldn't encroach too much on the surrounding properties for it to work unlike a underpass fit for hgv and buses.

Yes, an underpass is the answer - keep it pumped out in normal times, but design it so that it won't be harmed if it does flood. How often will that be? Not very often - say once a year. Reasonable? Well, twice a year then - but not flooded every week! See wotam sayin'? Expensive to build, but similar in cost to an overbridge with those lengthy ramps and so-on, just as effective and far less intrusive.

A thought just occurred to me - if it's a watertight underpass, it will have to be anchored down or else it will float on the high water-table, rising up out of the water-logged ground. I know what I'm talking about - a swimming pool not far from there did just that when the owner emptied it the better to clean it. Hell of a mess! Piles is the answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.