• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railway Ticket Shorting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blà Bheinn

I would suggest simply something like:
"When I discovered my mistake I stupidly attempted to buy a ticket which only covered part of my journey. I accept responsibility for my actions and...."

Claiming it was out of character may be true but isn't relevant.

Thank you for the advice, I have implemented that.

What do you think of this?:

“Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to a letter I received from Chiltern Railways on 22nd September.

I would like to formally apologise for failing to produce the correct ticket for my journey from Bicester Village to London Marylbone. I had incorrectly thought on boarding the train that the outbound ticket I had purchased was a return ticket. When I discovered my mistake I attempted to buy the return ticket, but was unable to since the train had departed. I then stupidly bought a ticket which only covered part of my journey.

I accept responsibility for my actions and would like to express my upmost apologies. This is the first time I have done anything like this and this was also the first time I had traveled on Chiltern Railways on this route.

When questioned by railway staff I panicked and lied about my journey. This was completely out of character and for this I am extremely sorry.

I understand how serious this is. I would like to pay a fee to cover the cost of the correct ticket and any administrative costs incurred as a result of my actions.

I would like to avoid this going to court. I have learned a valuable lesson from this and will ensure that this never happens again. This has frightened me enough and in addition to a fee/fine, this is a strong deterrent to ensure I never do this again.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thank you for the advice, I have implemented that.

What do you think of this?:

“Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to a letter I received from Chiltern Railways on 22nd September.

I would like to formally apologise for failing to produce the correct ticket for my journey from Bicester Village to London Marylbone. I had incorrectly thought on boarding the train that the outbound ticket I had purchased was a return ticket. When I discovered my mistake I attempted to buy the return ticket, but was unable to since the train had departed. I then stupidly bought a ticket which only covered part of my journey and I realise this is wrong.

I accept responsibility for my actions and would like to express my upmost apologies. This is the first time I have done anything like this and this was also the first time I had traveled on Chiltern Railways on this route.

When questioned by railway staff I panicked and lied about my journey. This was completely out of character and for this I am extremely sorry.

I understand how serious this is and that you have a responsibility to deter fare evasion. This notwithstanding, I hope you will see fit to avoid the court process. I am happy to pay the outstanding fare, and any administrative costs incurred as a result of my actions.

I would like to avoid this going to court. I have learned a valuable lesson from this and will ensure that this never happens again. This has frightened me enough and in addition to a fee/fine, this is a strong deterrent to ensure I never do this again.

Kind regards”
Looks good. I’d probably add the bit in bold for emphasis, and the underlined bit to smooth out that part. (“I would like to pay” seems the wrong approach and doesn’t acknowledge you’re at their mercy here!)

Blà Bheinn

Thank you again. Please see my latest draft that I would like to send today:

“Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to formally apologise for failing to produce the correct ticket for my journey from Bicester Village to London Marylbone. I had incorrectly thought on boarding the train that the outbound ticket I had purchased was a return ticket. When I discovered my mistake I attempted to buy the return ticket, but was unable to since the train had departed. I then stupidly bought a ticket which only covered part of my journey and I realise this is wrong.

I understand how serious this is and that you have a responsibility to deter fare evasion. This notwithstanding, I hope you will see fit to avoid the court process. I am happy to pay the outstanding fare, and any administrative costs incurred as a result of my actions.

I have learned a valuable lesson from this and will ensure that this never happens again. This has frightened me enough and in addition to a fee/fine, this is a strong deterrent to ensure I never do this again.

Kind regards”

some bloke

Established Member
I had incorrectly thought on boarding the train that the outbound ticket I had purchased was a return ticket.
They may wonder how that happened. Is there more you can say (very briefly) about how you ended up thinking you had a return, and/or other brief details, for example your original intention to return by train and the price of a single vs return, to reduce suspicion that you intended to evade from the start/earlier than you say?

Last edited:

Blà Bheinn

They may wonder how that happened. Is there more you can say (very briefly) about how you ended up thinking you had a return, and/or other brief details, for example your original intention to return by train and the price of a single vs return, to reduce suspicion that you intended to evade from the start?
Hi, it honestly was just a stupid mistake, I was very tired that weekend. I know that’s not an excuse. My plan was always to return by train. The single I bought was £15.85 and a return was £21.55. The single from Wembley was £3.95 (£19.80 total journey) so I didn’t stand to save much. Do you think this is worth mentioning? I obviously wouldn’t risk this to save £1.75. Thanks.

some bloke

Established Member
If there was something specific about the buying process that's relevant, for example the way an app presented information, or something specific that you did like looking at a different part of a page, you might mention that alongside being tired.

Otherwise you can just say that on the train you realised you'd bought a single by mistake when tired, mentioning how you bought it (app, machine etc). You can leave out those prices. If you don't know how you missed the return part, you can say that.

If you start by saying "I was visiting my friend X" or whatever was the purpose and you always intended to buy a return, that might help if they suspect that you for example changed your mind after buying a single. These are minor points and you seem to have covered the main ones.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Hi, it honestly was just a stupid mistake, I was very tired that weekend. I know that’s not an excuse. My plan was always to return by train. The single I bought was £15.85 and a return was £21.55. The single from Wembley was £3.95 (£19.80 total journey) so I didn’t stand to save much. Do you think this is worth mentioning? I obviously wouldn’t risk this to save £1.75. Thanks.
My understanding is that the railway strongly believes that it’s important to have the right ticket rather than to have just paid the right fare - so an argument that amounts to ‘you almost received the right fare’ won’t go down very well.

There’s a good discussion to be had about whether the railway should take this attitude - but I don’t think that discussion will help the OP just now, so for the moment we need to accept that the railway’s position is what it is, and how the OP can best navigate that position.

Blà Bheinn

My understanding is that the railway strongly believes that it’s important to have the right ticket rather than to have just paid the right fare - so an argument that amounts to ‘you almost received the right fare’ won’t go down very well.

There’s a good discussion to be had about whether the railway should take this attitude - but I don’t think that discussion will help the OP just now, so for the moment we need to accept that the railway’s position is what it is, and how the OP can best navigate that position.
I agree, thanks for your input. Do you think what I have is suitable to send? I have added in that I was visiting a friend by train and intended to return by train.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I agree, thanks for your input. Do you think what I have is suitable to send? I have added in that I was visiting a friend by train and intended to return by train.
I think that's fine: you've covered the main points and sometimes it's important to get something off, so go with what you've got.

One minor point which I really don't think would make much difference - you probably want to make your utmost apologies rather than upmost.

Blà Bheinn

I think that's fine: you've covered the main points and sometimes it's important to get something off, so go with what you've got.

One minor point which I really don't think would make much difference - you probably want to make your utmost apologies rather than upmost.
Ok thanks again, you guys are great. I’ll send that off with the spelling amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.