• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

clarets2005

mr_roggger has put it perfectly above as this was exactly my experience too.
There were quite a few competency based questions just like in the MMI and as you would expect in any job interview. The guys who interviewed me were great, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an interview. Good luck!

I'll second this. The two guys interviewing me were very personable and the chat flowed very nicely around the questions. They are there to get the best out of you and not to catch you out.
Felt far more relaxed as soon as I walked in.

Unfortunately got a no for my application to Aylesbury today (applied in Feb).
Disappointed, but I will keep trying!

Definitely do keep trying chap. I got knocked back a few times before eventually getting through.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amateugraphy

mr_roggger has put it perfectly above as this was exactly my experience too.
There were quite a few competency based questions just like in the MMI and as you would expect in any job interview. The guys who interviewed me were great, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an interview. Good luck!
Many thanks

Doughboy

Wotcha,

Thought I'd stand up and be counted! I've also recently passed the DMI at Banbury and have been offered a provisional spot on the August 29th course pending my medical.

My timeline is very similar to @Mr_rogggers', date wise, except for me rescheduling the DMI and being a day or two slower with the VSE.

Looking forward (come on medical..!) to seeing the rest of you there! I also have my fingers crossed for those in the pipeline or waiting for any results.

bothtubes

Hey everyone. Been a Lurker but could do with some help/advice.
Think it’s already been asked, but just in case, does anyone have a shift Rosta for Birmingham Moor street?
Also have my dmi next week. Any advice? Flapping a bit

silexa

Think it’s already been asked, but just in case, does anyone have a shift Rosta for Birmingham Moor street?
Nice to hear there's DMI's happening for Moor Street, as from what i've seen not much has happened regarding BMO. I'll continue to keep my hopes up then...

12LDA28C

Established Member

Do some research on the company, its history and sphere of operation.

Think of some specific examples where experiences and events you've encountered in the past could relate to the role of a train driver with specific regard to rules, procedures, safety, teamwork and so on. Good luck!

RoyalE3091

Hi guys. Just a quick one if anyone can shed some light as I can't find any info online, curious to know if Chiltern get paid 4 weekly as opposed to monthly and if so what date? Cheers

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi guys. Just a quick one if anyone can shed some light as I can't find any info online, curious to know if Chiltern get paid 4 weekly as opposed to monthly and if so what date? Cheers

Chiltern are paid 4-weekly on a Friday which seems pretty standard on the railway. Clearly as it's 4-weekly, the date is not the same every month. Next pay date is Friday 7th July then 4th August and so on.

RoyalE3091

Chiltern are paid 4-weekly on a Friday which seems pretty standard on the railway. Clearly as it's 4-weekly, the date is not the same every month. Next pay date is Friday 7th July then 4th August and so on.
Thanks for the reply, it's the same as what I'm currently on at NR with the same pay dates.

Lushyavfc

I’ve been sent a VSE, are they easy to do? But I’ve also been given a provisional offer for another TOC subject to a medical, I’m already safety critical as a dispatcher so it can’t be much different in what they check for surely? But I might keep going with Chiltern to keep options open

J03LY

Of the people who took the online VSE test in late May, the majority passed and those people should be invited to attend OPC at Watford for testing very shortly. Those who failed should already have been informed so I would say if you have heard nothing so far, it might be good news.
Just wondering is no news good news still as I have not heard anything as of yet? Thank you

bothtubes

Do some research on the company, its history and sphere of operation.

Think of some specific examples where experiences and events you've encountered in the past could relate to the role of a train driver with specific regard to rules, procedures, safety, teamwork and so on. Good luck!
Thank you. Appreciate it. Any ideas of shifts in Birmingham?

Ian82

Hello everyone,
Seeing some are moving through the process for Moor street. Any first time applicants like myself got any further than the online questionnaires?
Completed these back in March. Appreciate there’s hundreds if not thousands of applicants, just curious if anyone’s progressed any further.

7819Hinton

Applied, heard nothing back at all, withdrew my application in the end.
I feel your frustration, but I think you just have to hang on in there and hope that something happens.
Every company has their own way of processing applicants.. the process akin to the Magic circle, with no rhyme or reason as to if and when you progress.
My mind set has completely shifted since first applying last December and I adopt a far more relaxed approach to it now.
what will be will be.

I feel your frustration, but I think you just have to hang on in there and hope that something happens.
Every company has their own way of processing applicants.. the process akin to the Magic circle, with no rhyme or reason as to if and when you progress.
My mind set has completely shifted since first applying last December and I adopt a far more relaxed approach to it now.
what will be will be.

I didnt withdraw due to frustration, I withdrew due to no longer feeling that position was correct for me.

I think I applied to get my foot in the door and through the stages of training etc but it would have been to later transfer elsewhere etc.

7819Hinton

I didnt withdraw due to frustration, I withdrew due to no longer feeling that position was correct for me.

I think I applied to get my foot in the door and through the stages of training etc but it would have been to later transfer elsewhere etc.
Apologies for making that assumption.
You’ve done what’s right for you then.
Good luck in your endeavours.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Maybe the position wasn't right in the first place if your intention was to leave shortly after gaining your key, having taken advantage of the training and investment provided by Chiltern.

Maybe the position wasn't right in the first place if your intention was to leave shortly after gaining your key, having taken advantage of the training and investment provided by Chiltern.

I'm sure thats what I said about the position not being right hence why I withdrew, but you've then gone on to make an assumption to fit your narrative. I never said 'shortly' after, my timeframe is unknown to you.

You're making it into something its not.

Apologies for making that assumption.
You’ve done what’s right for you then.
Good luck in your endeavours.

No worries, I could have possibly made it clearer.

Good luck to you aswell!

12LDA28C

Established Member
I'm sure thats what I said about the position not being right hence why I withdrew, but you've then gone on to make an assumption to fit your narrative. I never said 'shortly' after, my timeframe is unknown to you.

You're making it into something its not.

You clearly stated that you applied 'to get my foot in the door and through the stages of training etc' which would seem to suggest that once qualified you would be actively looking for another job elsewhere. If that's not the case then apologies but that seemed to be the inference.

You clearly stated that you applied 'to get my foot in the door and through the stages of training etc' which would seem to suggest that once qualified you would be actively looking for another job elsewhere. If that's not the case then apologies but that seemed to be the inference.

Yeah as in first job, get my foot in the door and become qualified, on the ladder, as that appears to be one of the most difficult stages of the entire process.

Basically long story short, the location of the position is well within the commutable time but its also not exactly a 'fun' commute as driving within London rarely is, I would have put up with this for 5-10yrs as I like to build up experience in every job I have but yes, eventually would have looked at a better commute or moving home etc.

So I had a look at better suited positions, I'm already a lot further down the road with another TOC, and also applied at a better (for me) location on another, this led me to withdraw as I dont want to waste the time for this position as well as potentially take a place for someone else, when I weighed it up I would prefer to start the entire journey elsewhere, where there is no 'back of the mind' issue that might make me dislike part of the job.

Dont apologise, I could have offered more in detail/context.

Applied, heard nothing back at all, withdrew my application in the end.

Yeah as in first job, get my foot in the door and become qualified, on the ladder, as that appears to be one of the most difficult stages of the entire process.

Basically long story short, the location of the position is well within the commutable time but its also not exactly a 'fun' commute as driving within London rarely is, I would have put up with this for 5-10yrs as I like to build up experience in every job I have but yes, eventually would have looked at a better commute or moving home etc.

So I had a look at better suited positions, I'm already a lot further down the road with another TOC, and also applied at a better (for me) location on another, this led me to withdraw as I dont want to waste the time for this position as well as potentially take a place for someone else, when I weighed it up I would prefer to start the entire journey elsewhere, where there is no 'back of the mind' issue that might make me dislike part of the job.

Dont apologise, I could have offered more in detail/context.
Makes sense. Do what’s right for you. I believe they have just started looking at the assessments for Marylebone. I’ve just got my assessment VSE through for Marylebone.

DH85D7802

Hello Guys, anyone heard anything regarding the Moor Street application? DB website still shows in progress but heard nothing, hope you are all well

Hello Guys, anyone heard anything regarding the Moor Street application? DB website still shows in progress but heard nothing, hope you are all well
Sorry, not that I know of but I assume like the other depot’s it’s being run in stages. I only heard back for Marylebone this week. If the application portal is still saying ‘in progress’ then all I can advise is to continue to be patient. Good luck my friend.

7819Hinton

They called the next day to say I’d passed. Was well chuffed.
They did say that realistically courses won’t be till next year at the earliest.
Congratulations.. must be a great feeling.
Yes, the priority is Banbury with EWR.
Good sign for movement at other depots now.