• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

mr_roggger

Once you pass the VSE you'll get a personal contact at CrossCountry recruitment, and then later others within Chiltern as the process narrows down. They always reply very promptly in my (limited) experience. I assume the poster means a generic DB email address from the careers portal.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
I just checked my last sent email. It was chilterns. Even if its wrong. They should reply and let us know its the wrong email address.

I don't believe anyone monitors a generic recruitment email address at Chiltern, a chap at CrossCountry deals with much of the Chiltern driver recruitment process.

mr_roggger

Tired to call him back and left him a voice mail and text message. Guessing I am going to need it.
Yes, this is the right person at CrossCountry (corrected my post above to reflect XC, not DB).

I believe you said earlier that you have compelted your VSE. In my limited experience with Chiltern recruitment, a phone call is good news. The same person emailed me when it was a rejection (from Aylesbury).

benji

Back at the end of June I received this?

Good afternoon,

Following on from your application for the Apprentice Train Driver role with Chiltern Railways at Marylebone we are writing to you to say that we wish to keep your details on file for Apprentice Driver recruitment for 2024.”

Could this be because I recently did the VSE and SJT for Avanti?

Mabs

I'm still waiting for the phone call.

Just wondering is there staff car parking at the Marylebone depot?

HeelBurton

I'm still waiting for the phone call.

Just wondering is there staff car parking at the Marylebone depot?
Very limited spaces
Back at the end of June I received this?

Good afternoon,

Following on from your application for the Apprentice Train Driver role with Chiltern Railways at Marylebone we are writing to you to say that we wish to keep your details on file for Apprentice Driver recruitment for 2024.”

Could this be because I recently did the VSE and SJT for Avanti?
no I doubt that’s the reason. I’m not sure there’s another course planned for Marylebone this year, but they have advertised to recruit qualified drivers instead to start.

Mabs

I’d say about 8. It’s not many. Hence I don’t drive in and I relocated as soon as I could
That's not many. I was expecting around 20. Too risky driving in and then not finding a parking space.

HeelBurton

That's not many. I was expecting around 20. Too risky driving in and then not finding a parking space.
I don’t think there’s any London depot in zone 1 that has 20 spaces. I previously worked at Waterloo and you had about the same overall shared between us NR and BTP and it was a scrap where you’d have to get in early or it’s a drive to Clapham depot to park.

I know of drivers who park on the network and then drive in. But I moved closer as soon as I could to negate the issue of parking. Normally you are fine parking here but don’t be quoting me should there be an issue

Mabs

I don’t think there’s any London depot in zone 1 that has 20 spaces. I previously worked at Waterloo and you had about the same overall shared between us NR and BTP and it was a scrap where you’d have to get in early or it’s a drive to Clapham depot to park.

I know of drivers who park on the network and then drive in. But I moved closer as soon as I could to negate the issue of parking. Normally you are fine parking here but don’t be quoting me should there be an issue
How many parking spaces are there in Cricklewood depot?

Speedbird100

Hi all, I applied for the apprentice trainee driver job for Chiltern in January and have had two further emails (Feb and March) regarding the application to give more details and answer some questions. Not heard anything since. Application still states it’s ‘in process’ when I log onto the DB website. Anyone else in the same boat and/or know what’s going on?? Thanks

Mabs

Hi all, I applied for the apprentice trainee driver job for Chiltern in January and have had two further emails (Feb and March) regarding the application to give more details and answer some questions. Not heard anything since. Application still states it’s ‘in process’ when I log onto the DB website. Anyone else in the same boat and/or know what’s going on?? Thanks
Have you done the VSE assessment? If not then that should be next.

Wearsunscreen

Hello chaps. Can anyone of you advise me if you know. I'm a GTR mainline driver this is for a friend who's applied for and got through first few stages of chiltern application.

Chiltern Train Drivers
1) Fully qualified drivers salary
2) Trainee salary and any increments?
3) Day 1 training to passed out time frames?
4) aylesbury depot work? What does it consist of?
5)how early is the earliest start times and same again for the latest finished (nights not included)
6) is it DOO?
Many thanks

Class2ldn

Established Member
Full salary is just under 57k
Not sure on trainee.
Work is Aylesbury - london via princes and met line, oxford, Birmingham i believe.
Doo is up to banbury then guards from there to Birmingham.
Cant help on start and finish times but I'm sure they have nights there.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hello chaps. Can anyone of you advise me if you know. I'm a GTR mainline driver this is for a friend who's applied for and got through first few stages of chiltern application.

Chiltern Train Drivers
1) Fully qualified drivers salary
2) Trainee salary and any increments?
3) Day 1 training to passed out time frames?
4) aylesbury depot work? What does it consist of?
5)how early is the earliest start times and same again for the latest finished (nights not included)
6) is it DOO?
Many thanks

I take it they've applied for Aylesbury?

Qualified drivers are currently on £56907 plus Sundays. They would start I believe on around £26k then increase to £29k after passing initial Rules exam until qualification which takes between 12 and 18 months. Aylesbury work consists of driving trains, not sure exactly what level of detail you expect but Aylesbury signs Marylebone, Oxford and Birmingham and the earliest start time is 0420, latest finish is around 0300 and there are nights in the roster. Chiltern is DOO south of Banbury, guards north thereof.

mr_roggger

Trainee basic salary is £27,499, rising to £29,961 upon passing Core and Company Specific Rules.

Out of interest, why is it DOO south of Banbury, and guards north of Banbury?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Trainee basic salary is £27,499, rising to £29,961 upon passing Core and Company Specific Rules.

Out of interest, why is it DOO south of Banbury, and guards north of Banbury?

It's a historical arrangement from the days of CSR (cab secure radio) which meant the driver had no direct means of communication with the signaller north of Banbury as that was as far north as the CSR system went. Essentially a guard was provided as an additional level of protection / communication for when things went wrong. Now we have GSM-R of course the driver always has a way of contacting the signaller whenever necessary.

mr_roggger

It's a historical arrangement from the days of CSR (cab secure radio) which meant the driver had no direct means of communication with the signaller north of Banbury as that was as far north as the CSR system went. Essentially a guard was provided as an additional level of protection / communication for when things went wrong. Now we have GSM-R of course the driver always has a way of contacting the signaller whenever necessary.
Very interesting. I didn't know about the historical CSR until now. Thanks.