• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi guys. Sorry if this has already been posted. But does anyone have the a copy of the shift rota for Marylebone / Chiltern?

How far along are you in the process? This would be the sort of thing to ask for at interview.
Hello friend. We’ve spoken before a few times. Well, I have a full set of OPC passes plus the MMI and have completed the VSE. So just preparing and thinking ahead. Whether I get an interview this year or not, always better to be prepared.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hello friend. We’ve spoken before a few times. Well, I have a full set of OPC passes plus the MMI and have completed the VSE. So just preparing and thinking ahead. Whether I get an interview this year or not, always better to be prepared.

Indeed, although remember that rosters change twice a year so what applies today may well not in a year or two's time. I believe there are one or two Marylebone drivers on here who may be able to help.

Indeed, although remember that rosters change twice a year so what applies today may well not in a year or two's time. I believe there are one or two Marylebone drivers on here who may be able to help.
Understood. And thank you. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers on the rosters and shirt patterns.

HeelBurton

Understood. And thank you. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers on the rosters and shirt patterns.
Coming into Marylebone you’ll go into the starter link for two years. It’s full of spares. Usually week of Earlies followed by a week of lates and it rotates with a long weekend off every month or so off the top of my head.

I don’t have the starter link to hand (just the main roster) and I’m away from Marylebone till Saturday morning. I’ll snap a shot for you then.

Coming into Marylebone you’ll go into the starter link for two years. It’s full of spares. Usually week of Earlies followed by a week of lates and it rotates with a long weekend off every month or so off the top of my head.

I don’t have the starter link to hand (just the main roster) and I’m away from Marylebone till Saturday morning. I’ll snap a shot for you then.
You’re a star. I really appreciate the help.

Mabs

I just checked my online status and its now End of Process. Oh well its over until next time.

silexa

Over 6 months since I applied for BMO and still no movement after the second questionnaire sent on the 2nd March. I know this is quite often a long process but I would've thought something would have moved by now. Anyone had any luck for BMO?

State

Could you send me this info too please? Many thanks

Lushyavfc

I’ve been invited for an interview for Marylebone, so they should start contacting everyone else who’s waiting shortly

HeelBurton

I’ve been invited for an interview for Marylebone, so they should start contacting everyone else who’s waiting shortly
I’m not surprised. A number of drivers have transferred to other depots and are leaving the company. They will need to start to fill this fast.

When is your interview?

Lushyavfc

I’m not surprised. A number of drivers have transferred to other depots and are leaving the company. They will need to start to fill this fast.

When is your interview?
4th September, I was also offered 30th October, and 3rd September, but I work for a TOC as a dispatcher so have to work around my roster

RoyalE3091

When is your interview?
Any reason why they're leaving the company? Due to issues at Chiltern or just personal circumstances?

HeelBurton

4th September, I was also offered 30th October, and 3rd September, but I work for a TOC as a dispatcher so have to work around my roster
Makes sense. Good luck, know abit about the routes we serve the tractions and the arriva visions and values

Any reason why they're leaving the company? Due to issues at Chiltern or just personal circumstances?

When Eurostar come knocking you don’t really turn that down. And they recently did a massive recruitment. Think two of our lads leaving early Jan. personally Eurostar isn’t for me but I did think long and hard about the idea.

Most of it personal. People commuting in who just want to work closer to home. Plus It’s normal for drivers to move TOC’s sometimes for a change of scenery and to freshen things up depending on when and where you started.

12LDA28C

Established Member

There's always been a higher turnover of staff at London depots due to the wide choice of employers within a small area. However Chiltern have some of the best Ts & Cs of the London TOCs so drivers who leave Marylebone to go elsewhere for more money often find that the grass isn't greener...

HeelBurton

There's always been a higher turnover of staff at London depots due to the wide choice of employers within a small area. However Chiltern have some of the best Ts & Cs of the London TOCs so drivers who leave Marylebone to go elsewhere for more money often find that the grass isn't greener...
Agreed. I could have stayed at my previous TOC and paid a handsome fortune but I would have had to have EARN that money with 100 stops a day and 9 hour diagrams every day.

Much rather the work here. I’m blessed to live a moments walk from Wembley depot and I have a 20 minute commute with the options to work Sundays.

Class2ldn

Established Member
Well the east, west situation is a bit up in the air at the moment, they took on new trainees for the role but now they've decided there's going to be a depot at Bletchley and the only drivers doing it will be based there instead. Now they are asking them to go there instead but I dont think the uptake will be very high lol

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well the east, west situation is a bit up in the air at the moment, they took on new trainees for the role but now they've decided there's going to be a depot at Bletchley and the only drivers doing it will be based there instead. Now they are asking them to go there instead but I dont think the uptake will be very high lol

There will be plenty of drivers at Banbury and Aylesbury that would be interested in transferring to Bletchley. Remember the DfT have specified where the Depot will be, it's not Chiltern's decision.

dislecsyk

Not strictly true. They've asked us to indicate our preferences, but made it very clear as far as they're concerned that we were taken on as Banbury drivers, not EWR drivers. Chiltern appear to be as frustrated by the situation as anyone, but they also seem to be pretty confident that they'll get the numbers that they need in Bletchley one way or another.

We've not at any point been asked to transfer.

Class2ldn

Established Member
Well the courses I believe are actually split into crcl and ewr 1,2,3 etc so the intention was for the ewr courses to be strictly for that but realistically it would never have stayed like that.
I know they are not asking you to directly transfer as like you say your contract is for banbury so they can't force you anyway but the question will be coming to everyone, trainees and current qualified.
Will suit some more then others thats for sure.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well the courses I believe are actually split into crcl and ewr 1,2,3 etc so the intention was for the ewr courses to be strictly for that but realistically it would never have stayed like that.
I know they are not asking you to directly transfer as like you say your contract is for banbury so they can't force you anyway but the question will be coming to everyone, trainees and current qualified.
Will suit some more then others thats for sure.

The question has already been asked. Drivers have until 8th September to register an interest in transferring to Bletchley.

Class2ldn

Established Member
Be interesting to see if they get the numbers, I know there's a few that live that way.

Last edited: