• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HeelBurton

Hello all, I'm new here, great forum! As Chiltern is recruiting I think I'm best to post here ..

I'll get straight to the point, I'm 55 ... Not that I feel it! I realise there's a medical to pass which shouldn't be an issue but are older ladies given a chance?

I'm from an aviation background, been involved in operations, training and audit more recently in countries that aren't as developed as the UK, so safety is paramount!

Very keen, but do I stand a chance of joining any company as an apprentice driver?

Thanks for your help
Certainly apply. I’m a driving instructor and I have trained people of varying ages. No companies look at age as a factor and as long as you continuously perform throughout the course you’ll be fine :)

Class2ldn

Established Member
Fair play for considering it at your age but its certainly not something I'd want to be training up to do in my mid 50s personally but by all means give it a shot, as people have said there's people who do come into it later in life so if you can pass the tests then good on you.
Give it a go.

LostLady

Need some 'thanks for the support' buttons on here! You all appear to be as friendly as the aviation industry , even more convincing this could be a good move!

Thanks again!

EDIT:
I've just gone from the external website to the application, it's closed very disappointed ☹️

If anyone heard of others, I'm all ears ... This was the only apprentice one I could find!

Last edited:

HeelBurton

Need some 'thanks for the support' buttons on here! You all appear to be as friendly as the aviation industry , even more convincing this could be a good move!

Thanks again!

EDIT:
I've just gone from the external website to the application, it's closed very disappointed ☹️

If anyone heard of others, I'm all ears ... This was the only apprentice one I could find!
Yes these don’t last long.

Which depot?

paul1s

Hi guys! New member here. Just a few question's if anyone could help.
I was successful on my application for aylesbury, passed all the test and medical. Is anyone else on the 15th January course?
From reading i should receive the welcome pack around a week before the start date?

Also in reagrds to reference, when does chiltern request them? I want to put my notice in soon but they haven't asked my current employer for them. Anyone else know time frames for the reference and did you wait till this was complete before putting in your notice?

Thanks all :)
Hi mate congrats just seen this as not been on here for a while. i will be joining you on the 15th of Jan got my contract all signed and confirmed last week, hr confirmed to me will get the welcome pack around the week before from them, and references will be sought after we start.

Termak

Hi all, I'm a little bit confused. I received an email telling me I did not meet the criteria due to travelling distance. 3 days later I receice an invitation for VSE from the OPC. Which is which here? I will still do the VSE but just thought I'd ask and not get my hope high.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm a little bit confused. I received an email telling me I did not meet the criteria dut to travelling distance. 3 days later I receice an invitatiin for VSE from the OPC. Which is which here? I will still do the VSE but just thought I'd ask and not get my hope high.

I don't think anyone would be able to advise you correctly here, this is a question better directed at HR or the OPC.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi all, I'm a little bit confused. I received an email telling me I did not meet the criteria dut to travelling distance. 3 days later I receice an invitatiin for VSE from the OPC. Which is which here? I will still do the VSE but just thought I'd ask and not get my hope high.

Rather depends where you live and which depot you applied for, to answer the first question.

TicToc

Received the exact same thing after being rejected for my travel time to the depot. Came here to see if anyone else had, and to find out if it could potentially be for another depot (in hope).

I’ll email the sender of my rejection email to find out the answer and let you know if there’s any joy.

Termak

Rather depends where you live and which depot you applied for, to answer the first question.
25 miles from the depot, no traffic will be 40 to 45 minutes drive, about 55 minutes on average and over an hour by public transport. I was not surprised with the rejection email.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hi all, I'm a little bit confused. I received an email telling me I did not meet the criteria due to travelling distance. 3 days later I receice an invitation for VSE from the OPC. Which is which here? I will still do the VSE but just thought I'd ask and not get my hope high.
What depot did you go for?

puffpuffgive

If its done at the ocp it's valid for 5 years, if its the online one you do before the test centre you have yo take them everytime regardless.
Thanks. I have done it again, waiting to hear now.

Does anyone know what comes after the VSE?

Last edited:

Gondor

Wear your own shoes for now just make sure they are comfortable and smart ish. I wasn’t issued shoes when I came to chiltern but was given shoe vouchers to go and get my own at some point.

I’ll also see you on the 15th, but not in the capacity you might be thinking ;)

Congratulations!!!

Thanks for the information, saved me buying something :)
oh very mysterious aha!

see you on the 15th

Carlosaroo

Just joined this forum, and hoping to find help and advice to get me through to the end!
I’ve passed the VSE and Microsoft Questionnaire form and have now been invited to OPC in Watford on 22nd Jan! Bit nervous to be honest as not entirely sure what to expect!
Hopefully some of you that are going through next week can advise on what happens
Thanks guys!

Rs1886

Also new here but have been observing from a distance for a while! I did my VSE just before the deadline and haven’t heard back with the DB website showing it as in progress. Is anyone else still waiting for results? Can’t seem to find a way to chase