• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

X-City-WM

The one for Banbury has the location listed as Birmingham, and the one for Moor Street lists Banbury as the location.

12LDA28C

Established Member
The one for Banbury has the location listed as Birmingham, and the one for Moor Street lists Banbury as the location.

It seems the problem is with the links provided. If you open the Chiltern Railways job vacancies page and click on each apprentice train driver position, the locations are correct to each vacancy.

X-City-WM

It seems the problem is with the links provided. If you open the Chiltern Railways job vacancies page and click on each apprentice train driver position, the locations are correct to each vacancy.
It's been updated since it was posted.

SEC20

Just put in an application for Marylebone! :D

I know it says you must live within 45 minutes but does anyone know if they allow relocations? I’m currently in the SE but would move more into London if I was successful.

12LDA28C

Established Member

I know it says you must live within 45 minutes but does anyone know if they allow relocations? I’m currently in the SE but would move more into London if I was successful.

I believe you must live within the specified area at point of application, as clearly stated in the job advert.

mindthedoors

When I carried out interviews there we prioritised those within the 45min commute, maybe considering an hour. I wouldn't want to disappoint but a promise to move once successful doesn't count. I've whitnessed people continuing long commutes after making a relocation pledge.

Aviator88

When I carried out interviews there we prioritised those within the 45min commute, maybe considering an hour. I wouldn't want to disappoint but a promise to move once successful doesn't count. I've whitnessed people continuing long commutes after making a relocation pledge.

That sounds like something that could be solved with a proof of address upon commencement of a training course. On the flip side, a driver who lives over the road may decide after a year that they want to live nearer their family 1 hr and 10 mins away, safe in the knowledge that the company aren't going to prevent it after investing tens of thousands of pounds in them!

I personally see the location requirement as an (albeit effective) sifting tool as opposed to a predictor of staff reliability/safety.

12LDA28C

Established Member
On the flip side, a driver who lives over the road may decide after a year that they want to live nearer their family 1 hr and 10 mins away, safe in the knowledge that the company aren't going to prevent it after investing tens of thousands of pounds in them!

The company certainly could prevent it, if it were written into the driver's contract.

Class2ldn

They used to be very strict with relocations but I know they'll allow qualified to do it but I dont think they do with trainees

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks. I was looking at Aylesbury

Average 35 hour week, alternate shifts i.e. week of earlies followed by a week of lates with rest days grouped together where possible to make a long weekend at least once a month. Nights also in the roster dependent on link. Earliest start on AMs is currently 0420, latest finish on PMs is around 0200 with turn length varying from 5 hours to 10 hours.

whoosh

Established Member
I did have a copy of Aylesbury's roster - I'll see if I can find it.

[Edit - I have found it. It's an old one from 2016, but might give an idea. I've only got 'Link 2', which I think you'd go into to start with anyway. I believe theres only two links at Aylesbury.]

Some weeks are a five day week, some a four day week - even some 3 day weeks giving some very long weekends off. Average turn length is about 8 hours, so it works out as roughly a 4.25 day week on average. [Edit, this roster is about a 4.36 day week, with 62 rest days for 38 weeks over the two pages].
(Basically the length of the working day is kept down at the expense of a rest day here and there.)

Their current conditions are 50% of Saturdays must be Rest Days, and Sundays are outside the working week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-194751_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-194751_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot_20230126-194800_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-194800_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Sly Sloth

Not being negative but it’d be unlikely to pass a sift. They’ll have plenty of applications to chose from so unlikely to have somebody willing to relocate.
I’ve seen many people down the years take trainee jobs miles from home on the promise they’ll relocate and once they get their key they either….. ask for a hardship move to a depot near to where they live or they commute and become incredibly inflexible which isn’t what the railways want

I did have a copy of Aylesbury's roster - I'll see if I can find it.

[Edit - I have found it. It's an old one from 2016, but might give an idea. I've only got 'Link 2', which I think you'd go into to start with anyway. I believe theres only two links at Aylesbury.]

Some weeks are a five day week, some a four day week. Average turn length is about 8 hours, so it works out as roughly a 4.25 day week on average.
(Basically the length of the working day is kept down at the expense of a rest day here and there.)

Their current conditions are 50% of Saturdays must be Rest Days, and Sundays are outside the working week.
What a fabulous roster if you want Saturdays off

whoosh

Established Member
Three links at Aylesbury now (four if you include the Depot link). New drivers would go into Link 3 upon qualification.
Thankyou for that - all good information.
Quite a big depot then, it would seem?

12LDA28C

Established Member
What a fabulous roster if you want Saturdays off

Indeed. Once rostered weeks of Annual Leave and a few ad hoc days are taken into account, a driver could easily work less than 20 Saturdays a year. Worth remembering also that Sundays are outside the week and a driver can put in a blanket request to not work any booked Sundays if they so choose.

Thankyou for that - all good information.
Quite a big depot then, it would seem?

Establishment I believe is 92 or thereabouts.

Sly Sloth

Indeed. Once rostered weeks of Annual Leave and a few ad hoc days are taken into account, a driver could easily work less than 20 Saturdays a year. Worth remembering also that Sundays are outside the week and a driver can put in a blanket request to not work any booked Sundays if they so choose.
carefully plotter rostered leave, adhoc and leave vice pay for bank holidays and I’d imagine it’d be a lot lower than 20 a year!
Either there’s very few trains running on a Sunday or a very heavy reliance on rest day working