• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways - Apprentice Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (26/01/23)

12LDA28C

Established Member
Would you mind sharing an example rota? I understand if you don't want to
Also how is anual leave booked?

Don't have a rota to hand but you will have four weeks of 'rostered' annual leave which are pre-determined dates and follow a rota pattern so you will know your leave dates many years in advance. Although these dates are ostensibly fixed, you are able to move them to weeks that better suit you if there is a vacancy in the calendar, or you can agree with another driver to mutually exchange your weeks of leave if that benefits you both. You also have ten days of 'Ad Hoc' leave which can be taken whenever you like. You will also automatically get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off.

As far as the roster goes you will work a week of AM turns followed by a week of PM turns and so on. Minimum turn length is 5 hours, maximum 10 and your working week will average 35 hours over a set period with some weeks being less and some more. Sundays are currently outside the working week and worked as rostered overtime, not included in the 35 hours. If you don't want to work any Sundays that is also an option currently. You will work an average of 1 in 2 Saturdays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JJ4

Don't have a rota to hand but you will have four weeks of 'rostered' annual leave which are pre-determined dates and follow a rota pattern so you will know your leave dates many years in advance. Although these dates are ostensibly fixed, you are able to move them to weeks that better suit you if there is a vacancy in the calendar, or you can agree with another driver to mutually exchange your weeks of leave if that benefits you both. You also have ten days of 'Ad Hoc' leave which can be taken whenever you like. You will also automatically get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off.

As far as the roster goes you will work a week of AM turns followed by a week of PM turns and so on. Minimum turn length is 5 hours, maximum 10 and your working week will average 35 hours over a set period with some weeks being less and some more. Sundays are currently outside the working week and worked as rostered overtime, not included in the 35 hours. If you don't want to work any Sundays that is also an option currently. You will work an average of 1 in 2 Saturdays.
Is it easy to switch the AM/PM turns e.g. you only do AM turns because you've permanently switched your lates with another driver?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is it easy to switch the AM/PM turns e.g. you only do AM turns because you've permanently switched your lates with another driver?

It's possible but not necessarily easy. You need to find another driver who wants to swap and most of those are already doing so. You would need to swap for the shift that suits your body clock better, not your social life though. You'll find you get tired pretty quickly if you do permanent earlies and aren't used to getting up at times as early as 0330. Just something to think about.

d44nny

Brill thank you. Also is there a taxi system for early starts or late finishes? I'm looking for Moor Street so just wandering about parking

JJ4

It's possible but not necessarily easy. You need to find another driver who wants to swap and most of those are already doing so. You would need to swap for the shift that suits your body clock better, not your social life though. You'll find you get tired pretty quickly if you do permanent earlies and aren't used to getting up at times as early as 0330. Just something to think about.
I’m a bit of an early bird tbh. I get up at 0430 to go the gym currently, so would prefer to do the earlys and have the rest of the day to myself. Sounds like you’d have to try and swap with a newer driver then.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Brill thank you. Also is there a taxi system for early starts or late finishes? I'm looking for Moor Street so just wandering about parking

Not at Moor Street as far as I know. I think there may be a parking arrangement in place however.

boxerdog

Moor Street depot have a parking area within the Selfridges car park.

90 mins is the maximum time allowed. It will take you around 45 mins
Similar to the first questionnaire. They gave 90 mins but it took about 10.

Which one have you applied for? I'm in for Marylebone and Aylesbury but still haven't hard back yet. Hopefully the application will progress, if not, I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

silexa

May I remind everyone of this rule stated in the email from Chitern:
Please note;

Candidates must not share ANY of the information contained within the questionnaire.

It would be a shame for someone to get denied because they shared information on here

IFeelTheNeed

Please note;

Candidates must not share ANY of the information contained within the questionnaire.

It would be a shame for someone to get denied because they shared information on here
I think they mean the actual questions

I think they mean the actual questions
I think so too. I don’t think anyone has asked or would post any of the actual questions. I can imagine if anyone asked they would be told as much. I certainly wouldn’t accommodate any requests.

However, nothing wrong with reminding people so thank you for the reminder.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Please note;

Do staff from recruitment / HR monitor these forums then?

Do staff from recruitment / HR monitor these forums then?
Possibly. But content is monitored by moderators anyway to make sure anything that shouldn’t be shared, isn’t.

Generally speaking, most people on here seem very professional and I very rarely see anything that’s even remotely controversial or sensitive - exactly how it should be. Most people simple share their journey rather than any specific details and if they did I’m sure they’d be called out on it pretty quickly.

jumboj

I believe applicants for Aylesbury should hear something in the next day or so.
Thanks for that ....I sent my cover letter and CV in 26 Jan...and heard absolutely nothing since, but when I log in it still says application in process.

jumboj

Have you not been sent the initial questionnaire about where you live, etc?
Nope... I sent HR an email 10 Feb..saying I have not received any further questionnaire or correspondence , where does my application stand , to which I have had no reply ...as I say my application still says in process , but when I click on it ..it says an error has occurred , page not found. I've contacted HR on 4 occasions but no reply.

Nope... I sent HR an email 10 Feb..saying I have not received any further questionnaire or correspondence , where does my application stand , to which I have had no reply ...as I say my application still says in process , but when I click on it ..it says an error has occurred , page not found. I've contacted HR on 4 occasions but no reply.
The error is because the Job Ad has been taken down. However you should have received the initial form by now.

Recieved my VSE test to do for Aylesbury. Didn’t get a 2nd questionnaire though like others did
Interesting. But you may have already done it in the last 6 months. I have done also but it’s difficult to know the exact process sometimes given that everyone will have different passes to tests. Good luck with the VSE.

Unknockable

I haven’t done it in the last 6 months to be honest. I’ve never applied to Chiltern before but i’ve just completed my VSE. I hope they’re lenient with the pass mark requirement because I did get a small amount incorrect.