• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways train stuck for 5 hours

londonmidland

Established Member
The 1342 from Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone had failed at Fenny Compton due to a loss of power with the loco. A train to train evacuation had took place, for passengers on board this service, however it took a ridiculously long period, of 5 hours, to actually get the failed train moved and out of the way. Services have been severely disrupted as a result.

Chiltern Railways have issued a do not travel notice, due to severe disruption across their network.

Following service disruption, crowding issues across the network and limited alterations due to engineering works and limited road transport we have declared a Do not travel request to customers. Your tickets from today will be accepted on our services tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisHogan

One of the problems with limited numbers of loco-hauled trains left on the system. Fewer freight locos at weekends available to rescue and probably limited traction knowledge of 68s by Chiltern drivers.

warwickshire

On Moderation
The 1342 from Birmingham Moor Street to London Marylebone had failed at Fenny Compton due to a loss of power with the loco. A train to train evacuation had took place, for passengers on board this service, however it took a ridiculously long period, of 5 hours, to actually get the failed train moved and out of the way. Services have been severely disrupted as a result.

Chiltern Railways have issued a do not travel notice, due to severe disruption across their network.
It was the Oxford flyer 68010, that failed, notably it failed a few weeks prior to this on the 1J53 1807 London Marylebone to Stourbridge Junction. On the last Monday in March of this year 2024. Only very recently but that delay was 2 hours in West Hampstead Tunnel. Which crippled the evening rush hour back then.
5 hours this time around. More worryingly if it fails again in service next time around, could it go for a astonishing record, of even longer for a rescue ???

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Highlights the problems with locomotive hauled trains - a single point of failure.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A friend caught up in this incident - their only way home was an Uber with 4 others for £55 each to Wembley Park for the tube She is not impressed........as there will no doubt be push back on paying that claim.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Five hours is a disgrace to get a blocked train moved.

In my day , that would have been a joint enquiry - did several , with the view on not apportioning blame - but improving reactions etc and doing better for the future.

warwickshire

On Moderation
You know what the problem was with it then?
From someone I know on Chiltern 68010, recently has been suffering from Low Power.
Similar to the 68s On Transpennie, but not seen on Chiltern for some time, but it was more often known to Happen on Transpennie Express .

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You know what the problem was with it then?
Fenny Compton is hardly the Outer Hebrides. Even if the axles were totally locked up, skates should have allowed the train to be dragged to a nearby loop (e.g. at Kineton) within a couple of hours.

Of course, this is the British rail industry we're talking about... everything takes far longer than it does in sensible countries with well-organised railways.

dk1

Veteran Member
Of course, this is the British rail industry we're talking about... things tend to take at least twice as long as they do in sensible countries, with integrated railways.

But on the other hand, we operate one of if not the safest railways in Europe if not the World. Cant have everything.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
But on the other hand, we operate one of if not the safest railways in Europe if not the World. Cant have everything.

A lot of nonsensical stuff that happens on our rail network is lumped under this ‘but it’s safer, innit’ banner. I guarantee that you can operate a totally safe railway and still move a failed train in under 5 hours, you just have to be adequately organised and resourced, and have an organisational culture that encourages it.

(Take it to the logical extremity, the safest railway is the one in which no train movements take place at all.)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Take it to the logical extremity, the safest railway is the one in which no train movements take place at all
Bingo. Based on that logic, ASLEF would trumpeting the fact that their drivers weren't involved in any operational incidents on their strike days :lol:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There is still a Thunderbird loco at Rugby ? - used to be - now a bit of prudent planning would have moved that to say Banbury to "protect" the West Midlands traffic which was pretty much all off Marylebone , obviously with qualified and competent staff present. All possible at a cost of course.

Mentioned too during this "block" that no LNW service ran to Coventry - one wonders why not as reversing there in the past was straightforward enough.........presume they just went to Rugby....

dk1

Veteran Member
A lot of nonsensical stuff that happens on our rail network is lumped under this ‘but it’s safer, innit’ banner. I guarantee that you can operate a totally safe railway and still move a failed train in under 5 hours, you just have to be adequately organised and resourced, and have an organisational culture that encourages it.

(Take it to the logical extremity, the safest railway is the one in which no train movements take place at all.)

Agreed. I have failed many times and had some arguments about how the rescue plan happens too. Not being listened too once added another hour to the plan and yes I had great pleasure in saying ‘I told you so’ many times over.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Indeed. However one cuts this incident, five hours is ridiculous. Assuming it wasn't derailed, the worst possible scenario would see it being skated out of the way.

Speed43125

One of the problems with limited numbers of loco-hauled trains left on the system. Fewer freight locos at weekends available to rescue and probably limited traction knowledge of 68s by Chiltern drivers.
I wonder if they've factored the extra resilience of having extra 68s sitting around in the business case for acquiring the ex TPE mk.5s! :D

EZJ

Lots of railway experts on this thread, you should all consider moving into the industry and make things better.

Angmering1974

A lot of nonsensical stuff that happens on our rail network is lumped under this ‘but it’s safer, innit’ banner.
It's the go-to response to criticism because it conveniently doubles as a sly, underhanded implication that the person wanting things to go quicker wants people to die. Which of course is total nonsense.

And I don't know why staff take such offence at criticism not directed at them. When we demand nation-wide improvements to incident responses, we're talking government level funding and initiatives. We're not angry at the staff on the ground who are just doing what they can with the resources provided.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's the go-to response to criticism because it conveniently doubles as a sly, underhanded implication that the person wanting things to go quicker wants people to die. Which of course is total nonsense.

And I don't know why staff take such offence at criticism not directed at them. When we demand nation-wide improvements to incident responses, we're talking government level funding and initiatives. We're not angry at the staff on the ground who are just doing what they can with the resources provided.
Very well put.

Lots of railway experts on this thread, you should all consider moving into the industry and make things better.
Some of us have worked in it and seen the incidents happen. The fragility of railway staff at criticism of the wider industry - and especially the assumptions of ignorance - speaks volumes.

Five hours to move a failed train in a busy and accessible part of the network is not on. Nobody involved at a high level is going to look back at that and think it’s acceptable. Or, rather, I hope they don’t.

But never mind, nobody outside the industry knows anything or is allowed to have an opinion.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

I think you’d be surprised at how many people on this forum do work / have previously worked in the industry.

najaB

Veteran Member
Indeed. However one cuts this incident, five hours is ridiculous. Assuming it wasn't derailed, the worst possible scenario would see it being skated out of the way.
You can be pretty sure that nobody was trying block the line for longer than needed.

Neither you nor I know why it took so long, but my guess is that "Plan A" would have restored service sooner, so one has to assume that something went wrong with that plan too (eg. the loco that normally would have performed the rescue wasn't available because of some other work being done).

fgwrich

Established Member
Very well put.

Some of us have worked in it and seen the incidents happen. The fragility of railway staff at criticism of the wider industry - and especially the assumptions of ignorance - speaks volumes.

Five hours to move a failed train in a busy and accessible part of the network is not on. Nobody involved at a high level is going to look back at that and think it’s acceptable. Or, rather, I hope they don’t.

But never mind, nobody outside the industry knows anything or is allowed to have an opinion.

I think you’d be surprised at how many people on this forum do work / have previously worked in the industry.

If only there was a like button for this forum. A Unit would be a little more understandable, a loco hauled rake however.

Established Member
Of course, this is the British rail industry we're talking about... everything takes far longer than it does in sensible countries with well-organised railways.

What exactly is the point of this comment? Hyperbolic criticism of the entire industry, and the entire country, based on one event adds nothing to the situation.

You can be pretty sure that nobody was trying block the line for longer than needed.

Neither you nor I know why it took so long, but my guess is that "Plan A" would have restored service sooner, so one has to assume that something went wrong with that plan too (eg. the loco that normally would have performed the rescue wasn't available because of some other work being done).

Indeed. It would be interesting to hear some actual facts as to why it took as long as it did rather than the usual rush to judgment.

Last edited:

dooton

In my day , that would have been a joint enquiry - did several , with the view on not apportioning blame - but improving reactions etc and doing better for the future.
And that is literally what is going to happen.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

The rescue loco would have come from either Wembley or Stourbridge, most likely the former.

The question is going to be what happened between it leaving Wembley and getting to the failed train that caused it to take so long?

Topological

Is it just me who sees this and thinks the time has come to get rid of the loco hauled?

Presumably, if this had been one of the 16x fleet then they would have been able to rescue it with another train?

I am not in the industry, but as an outsider it seems logical to just limit operations to a single type of coupling if at all possible.

In this case that would mean getting more 16x, but they exist with GWR. Likewise, TfW could still order more 197s to prevent their tiny fleet of unreliable loco-hauled blocking things up. Fix the 175s for GWR as an interim measure and all seems to work. There are tenders out for Chiltern that would presumably allow such a cascade.

Note the cascade part is for speculative discussion, it is included in this post to say that the solution of getting rid of non-standard elements of the Chiltern fleet is possible.